Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Tokusatsu

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    the heisei era kamen riders series starting with kuuga pretty much have them in their own universes unlike the old showa continuity except for the crossover movies.
    And then Phase 2 Heisei is all about them crossover movies .

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I just finished watching Jetman. I can see why it got the reviews it did. That has to be one of the best Sentai made.

I loved everything about that show...except its ending. Man, I hated how that was done.

Incredible Member

just finished with chou super hero taisen crossover movie , primarily kamen rider ex-aid and kyuranger with some guest stars, interesting mix of characters, decent enough movie.

The original Kamen Rider manga is gonna be released in America as one jumbo-sized hardcover volume later this year!

https://mobile.twitter.com/gomanga/s...50264219201538

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    The original Kamen Rider manga is gonna be released in America as one jumbo-sized hardcover volume later this year!

Looks and sounds awesome.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Day one buy for me .

I hope this leads to them licensing Spirits and the W manga.

I'm hoping that Toei sees what Tsuburaya has done making Ultraman available in NA and wants to do the same with Rider.

(Fingers crossed)

Astonishing Member

Just came on here to wish everyone a happy Ultraman Day!
    UltramanDay.jpg

Mighty Member

I'm hoping that Toei sees what Tsuburaya has done making Ultraman available in NA and wants to do the same with Rider.

(Fingers crossed)
    This. So much this. I will gladly buy anything from Black to present.

Particularly with Hasbro messing up Sentai releases (they couldn't have at least let me get Boukenger? Dicks.), it would be great to get Rider on official releases. And a lot easier for Shout Factory and Toei without the Hasbro hurdle.

Saw announcements for Ultraman Tiga, Dyna and Gaia today. Tsubaraya is really kicking Toei in the sack when it comes to Western markets.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    This. So much this. I will gladly buy anything from Black to present.

Particularly with Hasbro messing up Sentai releases (they couldn't have at least let me get Boukenger? Dicks.), it would be great to get Rider on official releases. And a lot easier for Shout Factory and Toei without the Hasbro hurdle.

Saw announcements for Ultraman Tiga, Dyna and Gaia today. Tsubaraya is really kicking Toei in the sack when it comes to Western markets.
    I think it's going to depend on whether or not the results Tsubaraya's getting are the kind of thing they'd want from Kamen Rider. I mean, Tsubaraya's been trying to make an international thing out of Ultraman for decades, but has had very limited results. Probably from networks, toy sellers and potential licensors repeatedly telling them it was "too foreign and weird". They've managed to make headway now, probably because for the first time in history it's considered viable to just market to people who are into "foreign and weird" (gotta love the "geek" community at least for that). But I've heard somewhere that executives at Toei aren't crazy about their shows being "niche".

Toei has tried a little bit to make stuff accessible. They set up that Toei Tokusatsu World Official Youtube channel. Which would be great if the whole thing didn't look like a random assortment of episodes from a billion different shows. They couldn't even find a way to group together the Kamen Rider stuff in one place, the Metal Heroes stuff in another, the comedy series stuff in another, etc? And there's also the Shout! Factory licenses for streaming. Supposedly there'll even be a U.S. DVD release for Zero-One.

I try to count my blessings rather than complain. There's way more tokusatsu being released in the U.S. than ever before. But . . . I could still really go for a Kamen Rider Fourze DVD set. Maybe Kiva, Ex-Aid, W and Build too. Heck, I've even got a soft spot for Ghost too, even if the show did end up meandering in the second half.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I try to count my blessings rather than complain. There's way more tokusatsu being released in the U.S. than ever before. But . . . I could still really go for a Kamen Rider Fourze DVD set. Maybe Kiva, Ex-Aid, W and Build too. Heck, I've even got a soft spot for Ghost too, even if the show did end up meandering in the second half.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree on toku releases in general. I would literally kill to get Kuuga, Agito, Ryuuki on dvd. Not to mention W, 000, Fourze and Gaim. Even Blade, which is a guilty pleasure of mine. Hell, anything that isn't Drive (the only Heisei era rider I've not seen any of) would be on my shelf if given the chance. Yes, even Ghost and Wizard. Hell, I'd even buy Zi-oh just for Woz if given the chance.

I'm still mostly just salty about Sentai releases. We were just hitting my Sentai golden age with releases when we got cut off. If we could have made it to Boukenger I'd probably be a lot less miffed.

Still, loving the Ultraman releases. Plus we're getting Gridman as well, now. And we got most of the Saejima family Garo stories released as well. Wish they'd done well enough to have seen more of those, I would love to own a proper copy of Zero: Dragon Blood. I'm hopeful that the market will prove big enough to see some more expansion as we continue.

Spectacular Member

I'm really hoping for an international kamen rider release sometime in the future. At the very least I'll have fuuto pi and Kamen rider Black Son

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I agree on toku releases in general. I would literally kill to get Kuuga, Agito, Ryuuki on dvd. Not to mention W, 000, Fourze and Gaim. Even Blade, which is a guilty pleasure of mine. Hell, anything that isn't Drive (the only Heisei era rider I've not seen any of) would be on my shelf if given the chance. Yes, even Ghost and Wizard. Hell, I'd even buy Zi-oh just for Woz if given the chance.

I'm still mostly just salty about Sentai releases. We were just hitting my Sentai golden age with releases when we got cut off. If we could have made it to Boukenger I'd probably be a lot less miffed.

Still, loving the Ultraman releases. Plus we're getting Gridman as well, now. And we got most of the Saejima family Garo stories released as well. Wish they'd done well enough to have seen more of those, I would love to own a proper copy of Zero: Dragon Blood. I'm hopeful that the market will prove big enough to see some more expansion as we continue.
    I just really dig Ghost's gimmick of using the spirits of historical and legendary figures as power-ups. Who would have thought to have a superhero with Goemon, Beethoven and Edison powers? (well, I guess there is Kid Eternity)

I'm disappointed in the end of the Super Sentai releases too. I really wanted to see more pre-Zyurnager series. They're the ones with most mystery to me. With the post-PR seasons we at least got to see the action half of things. We got to see the mecha and costumes in action. With everything pre-Zyuranger or rather pre-Jetman now, all we generally can see is still images and brief clips on YouTube.

But still, I'm enjoying Ultraman more than I expected (more the newer seasons than the classic ones. I just got tired of the super-science squad supporting casts after a while). And Gridman seems like a no-brainer release not just as an accompaniment to the Ultraman releases, but because of the success of SSSS Gridman and SSSS Dynazenon. Never had any interest in Garo, but I'm glad it's out there. And hey, we also got one Metal Heroes series with Discotek Media's release of Juspion.

Astonishing Member

Not sure I'm supposed to post right after myself (help me out here mods).

But anyway, big news coming from Anime Expo!

We're finally going to see that Fiveman DVD release, plus a Blu-ray set of Kamen Rider Kuuga. Also, Ultraman had a big presence there. There was a live show, plus they announced a Marvel/Ultraman crossover comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I just finished watching Jetman. I can see why it got the reviews it did. That has to be one of the best Sentai made.

I loved everything about that show...except its ending. Man, I hated how that was done.

Who's your favorite villain?