Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I just can't get into this story arc.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Was another fun issue. I liked how they depicted possible other lives for both Bloody Lips and Elektra. Really hoping Bloody Lips is kept alive as he's good new addition as a bad guy.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bloody Lips kept around but I have a feeling Lady Bullseye is going to kill him by the end of this arc...She doesn't really strike me as the type who will take being kidnapped & tortured too well so I won't at all surprised if she offs him... (also between this & Secret Avengers I really like the nice little push Lady Bullseye is getting here lately)

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    I just can't get into this story arc.
    That's a shame, but I understand. Elektra can be a difficult character to like, admittedly. Thank you for supporting the book up to this point, though!

Next issue will be the end of this arc, then next arc will be her targeting the leaders of the Assassins Guild. Looking forward to the issue taking place in Louisiana.

Soon as the arc is over I'm re-reading it. I'll probably buy the first trade, even though I don't like trades, just to support the book...

Me too. I do think the story will look even better in trade format.

I have to be honest, without the amazing art I'm not sure how long the story and the character of Elektra could keep me hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Akktim View Post
    I have to be honest, without the amazing art I'm not sure how long the story and the character of Elektra could keep me hooked.
    I can understand this point of view if you've never been a fan of the character before. For me the writer/artist synergy is amazing, we wouldn't get all these amazing locales and visuals without Blackman's scripts. If the book lasts a replacement artist will be needed eventually to give Del Mundo a break and then the real test will be made of Blackman, but I personally think it would still be an excellent read.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

There are few artists that can rival del mundo, but even less than that are capable of bringing the book down. I mean how do you mess up Elektra fighting scalphunter on monster island or engaging in a jetpack battle with an actual jet?

The one headscratcher to me was the assumption that lips was behind the hallucination that was plaguing him.

Well, we aren't really sure that Elektra saw what was going on with BL, and as far as any of us know, unless Kento has TP, there were no other characters around responsible. I assume Elektra's thoughts went the Occam's Razor route. And if she didn't see his mental sruff, it would make sense fir him to use such a gambit just prior to death.

However, personally I think it's likely that they saw the real deal, but Elektra's too far gone to acknowledge that her mother's death irrevocably changed her father, or that she is responsible for destroying innocent lives. It's easier for her to call it a sham and move on.

But either way, I do hope that point is clarified, because if we DO have a TP user (and I don't think BL has TP), then we're looking at anothr player that has yet to present themselves. Or Kento has some splainin to do.
    Last edited by tsaimelemoni; 07-20-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    There are few artists that can rival del mundo, but even less than that are capable of bringing the book down. I mean how do you mess up Elektra fighting scalphunter on monster island or engaging in a jetpack battle with an actual jet?

The one headscratcher to me was the assumption that lips was behind the hallucination that was plaguing him.
    I'm thinking it was some sort of spirit that resides in Schicheng. Cape Crow's son mentioned that you could only see ghosts when you die in the place so when they were on the cusp of death again the spirit(s) showed themselves to them. If it is another TP then we have another villain involved and I don't see why one would make their attack now? Though I do hope at some point if the book's sales pick up we get to see Elektra use her own telepathic abilities again. Having them rendered by Del Mundo would be something special.

Quote Originally Posted by Akktim View Post
    With me it's not so much her as it has been the whole cast, so far. Matchmaker, Bloody Lips, and waiting to see exactly why Cape Crow is so respected has me hooked...

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    With me it's not so much her as it has been the whole cast, so far. Matchmaker, Bloody Lips, and waiting to see exactly why Cape Crow is so respected has me hooked...
    The supporting cast is excellent! Other than the lamentable Nineties run she has never had her own supporting cast and villains which is another plus for the title!

CBR's review of the title. Whilst I can sort of see her point I'm of the opinion that Blackman nails the character. I think he has replaced Zeb Wells IMO as the definitive modern Elektra writer.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...review&id=7562

I simply don't agree with the CBR review at all. We're getting a fleshed out villain, and that somehow makes Elektra feel like a secondary character?

Blackman is easily up there with Miller and Wells (and yes, at this point above Wells) as one of the best writers to handle the character. From issue 1 he's been building an emotional connection for the character, giving us her troubled and often fragile thoughts juxtaposed with the stony exterior she presents to everyone else.

We see her display her patented (and well deserved) sense of superiority when interacting with fellow assassins, and we see a glimmer of heroism as she opts to save Kento rather than attempt to kill Bloody Lips. Lesser writers would have had her sacrifice Kento to keep her at the unengaging and uninteresting level of 'bloodthirsty killer' that Wells worked hard (imo) to work past. Blackman is continuing the forward moving character development Wells started, giving us an Elektra that actually feels like a continuation of Miller's work.

I really don't know what else to say to anyone who can't see how focused this story is on Elektra's personal development. Hell, the opening of this issue does more for her than the entirety of her previous two solos, imo.

Totally agree Tsai. The reviewer doesn't see Blackman is juxtaposing Elektra with Bloody Lips to highlight their differences. He is also finally giving her an adversary of her own that isn't the boring old Hand so he needs to spend time fleshing him out!