View Poll Results: Which of the following "fundamentals" cannot be altered at all in your opinion?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superman's costume must always have trunks, no mask and no gloves.

35 33.02%
  • Superman must always end up with Lois Lane. He can romance other women but Lois is endgame.

69 65.09%
  • Superman's workplace is the Planet and he is a journalist. He cannot, say, be a doctor instead.

72 67.92%
  • Kryptonians must remain extinct save for a few. Things such as New Krypton are temporary at best.

69 65.09%
  • Superman's powerset is permanent and mostly immutable. He cannot, say, develop psychic powers.

54 50.94%
  • Superman's home is ultimately Metropolis. He cannot, say, leave Metropolis and go live in Sydney.

73 68.87%
  • Superman must have a secret identity. He can't permanently ditch it and openly live as Superman.

81 76.42%
  • Lex Luthor must always be Superman's arch-enemy. He cannot be permanently redeemed.

45 42.45%
  • The Kents must stay alive or at least one of them must live.

23 21.70%
  • The Daily Planet crew is Superman's core supporting cast, they cannot be replaced or sidelined.

65 61.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Superman's Fundamentals: A Discussion

Man, it's been such a long time that I'm surprised my account is still functioning...

Anyway, in light of the recent announcement regarding Superman's reunion with his scarlet under, er, overpants and the resulting debate about them, I started wondering - just how many of Superman's character and lore "fundamentals" are a must for fans? What aspects are not so important? What aspects with render the character unrecognizable with their absence? So, I compiled a poll out of curiosity how CBR forum members think. I understand that some options may seem kind of reaching but I honestly struggled to think of more "fundamentals" beyond around 4 to 5. If you can think of more, be sure to post them and your thoughts!
    Last edited by The Red Monk; 01-21-2018 at 02:39 AM.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

BANNED

None of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    None of the above.
    Sweet. Maybe elaborate a bit more? I was hoping to get a discussion and some insights going.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

He has to be an altruist first of all.

Costume design is unimportant as long as it is red and blue with red cape.

Lois Lane is the end game. Always.

Daily Planet and co.

Kents can be both alive or dead as long as they raised Clark into a person we know.

Metropolis is a must.

What I definitely don't care about is him being represented as an American hero only or a character who represents values not of humanity as a whole, but of a single country. I prefer him as a hero of the world/universe. I don't like the idea of him looking at some humans with prejudice just because they are not Americans, we are a single species at the end of the day.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    Sweet. Maybe elaborate a bit more? I was hoping to get a discussion and some insights going.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Kindly Couple.

Superman.

That's the closest I've seen of the fundamentals of Superman summed up in a comic.

The only fundamentals beyond alteration are that Superman's from a distant planet that no longer exists, and upon arriving on Earth he begins to develop superpowers and is raised by Earthlings. Everything else is open to experimentation.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 01-21-2018 at 06:21 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

- Clark cannot be a doctor. That type of job, where his commitment to being there can directly mean life or death, doesn't work. It also grounds him to one practice, where his special abilities would go to waste and/or show odd favoritism. He doesn't exactly have to be a reporter, but he also doesn't have to be Superman. You can change him to Bellbottom Benjamin as his superhero name, right?

- Kryptonians are very special beings, so they need extreme limits. The Phantom Zone can have plenty of inhabitants, but they can hardly get out of that partially nullified existence. Kandor can have plenty of compromised inhabitants without physical compromise, except they can't really leave the bottle. Superman was once the last son of Krypton in a literal sense, he has to at least keep the technical sense going.

- taking Superman out of Metropolis serves no purpose. You can always just create other supporting characters if you don't like the current ones, but Metropolis is his home. And if moved, it should be another fictional city instead of say, Denver, for the sake of creative leg room.

- the secret identity is one of the core concepts of the character. Being Superman all the time removes him from mankind and eliminates the connection to Jerry Siegel.

from all of those the idean of secret identity as a must is the one i think is the most overrated, superman can work without it, that is as long as there is any storyteller that really want to make it happen in a beliavable way

superman could be either a scientist or a businessman instead of reporter, he does not have that vital necessity of being reporter in this era as it was before the start of the information age, but he can still be a reporter, but that is more of a personal choice than a need to know what happens around the world

superwonder for life, but i still think that in a logical setting he should go for kara, they are the last of their species and that is something writers and fans are dismissing because "romance" and "shipping"

i liked the trunkless high collar nanotech armor, fight me

In the overall scheme of things trunks are pretty minor. Its an aesthetic choice which works better in my opinion. They are not really fundamental to Superman. And he does not become unrecognizable without them.

When it was not there i was always speaking for it. And i still do. But its not something which breaks him.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    that in a logical setting he should go for kara, they are the last of their species and that is something writers and fans are dismissing because "romance" and "shipping"
    In a "logical setting" two beings aren't enough to repopulate a species.
    But great that your preferences have nothing to do with "romance" and "shipping"

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

from all of those the idean of secret identity as a must is the one i think is the most overrated, superman can work without it, that is as long as there is any storyteller that really want to make it happen in a beliavable way
    With so many Marvel superheroes unmasked, I think it's easy to write that kind of story without affecting Superman. But the most curious thing with the current Superman movies is that Clark Kent has been outed, and I look forward to seeing how they make that work.

superwonder for life, but i still think that in a logical setting he should go for kara, they are the last of their species and that is something writers and fans are dismissing because "romance" and "shipping"
    Kara. That also takes so much work to make happen that it's infinitely easier using other characters. It's been years since I've heard a Jerry Lee Lewis joke, but Kara is so ingrained into the mythos and now pop culture as his younger cousin that it'd be a tough sell.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think Superman can navigate any sci fi, fantasy, or genre adventure. I think the super-feat is fundamental. He does something that sets the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    In a "logical setting" two beings aren't enough to repopulate a species.
    But great that your preferences have nothing to do with "romance" and "shipping"
    if looking at the genetic engineering it is not impossible, but it is morally questionable that is undeniable

I am trying to separate the essential from the non-essential. A fun exercise. Trunks maybe not be 'essential' but i think mask is wrong though gloves are okay. Gloves are accessories. I see no purpose here. Just to look cool i guess.

But when he puts on a mask he is now hiding his face. When there are masks it brings mistrust. Just look at Spider-man. Superman is one inspirational hero. Someone who inspires others to be better. When you put on the mask that is affected.

That is what i think about it. I am willing to hear other opinions in this regard. The Red Monk has put up a thread which just might be the best thread here. Thanks to him.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-21-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Spectacular Member

if looking at the genetic engineering it is not impossible, but it is morally questionable that is undeniable
    Wich genetic engineering?
    Real world? Then it's not possible.

Comic book? Then you don't even need them to hook up, because they could simply make up a version of genetic engineering, that makes it possible to repopulate Kryptonians and let them grow in test tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    Wich genetic engineering?
    Real world? Then it's not possible.

Comic book? Then you don't even need them to hook up, because they could simply make up a version of genetic engineering, that makes it possible to repopulate Kryptonians and let them grow in test tubes.
    grow till which point? babies? adolescence? adulthood? would they be kon mass producted? or would superman try to create a family enviroment?

not to mention that the comicbook genetic engineering for superman would mostly be used to correct imperfection on their gene code rather than mass product people, or they could go full codex