5 13.89%
  • Robins

10 27.78%
  • Justice League International

7 19.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Personally, I voted for Cyborg. I feel characters are more suited to this Pro-Con workshop idea

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I don't know what the generally accepted definition of a legacy character is. To me it's someone who takes the place of the original character. Usually for no reason except that a writer wanted to create his very own version of the character.
    So by your definition Robin is a legacy character

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    So by your definition Robin is a legacy character
    I think he means characters like Blue Beetle. Several characters taking and using the same name, like Green Lantern(s), and Starman(s).

Superman doesn't have legacy characters by that definition, he has a family of "sidekicks", like Supergirl, Superboy, Superwoman, and Steel, among others.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I think he means characters like Blue Beetle. Several characters taking and using the same name, like Green Lantern(s), and Starman(s).
    Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Damian Wayne, etc.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Re the emotional spectrum: You had to be there when it was introduced. Otherwise you probably won't get it. Readers got tremendously excited. The same readers who only a short time earlier had adamantly objected to there being any other Lantern but Kyle.

It looked like Geoff Johns was multiplying the Green Lantern Corps by seven or eight, or whatever it was. Even though there were already 3,600 or 7,200 Green Lanterns, or whatever it was. But it turned out that all those Corps existed only to fight each other. Or something like that.

So they fought, and they fought, and they fought. Each time with diminishing fan interest and lower sales numbers.
    Or it could just be your insane hatred of Geoff Johns and everything he created in Green Lantern coloring your perspective. You have a long history of railing against all things Johns.

Yeah I should have clarified. Robin was a special case, in that he's a sidekick who's become a legacy character.

But hey, i'm not the guy with the problem, I'm just trying to explain what I thiiiiiink he means.

Quote Originally Posted by BaneBreaker View Post
    I voted Emotional Spectrum. I enjoy it. For me, it gave rise to a lot of fun stuff
    I can't imagine the GL mythos without it. The introduction of the spectrum has enriched and expanded the mythos greatly. GL experienced a peak in popularity in comics under Johns that it hasn't seen before or since.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Or it could just be your insane hatred of Geoff Johns and everything he created in Green Lantern coloring your perspective. You have a long history of railing against all things Johns.
    Now that is wacky. Johns is a very good writer, on those titles that need to be Geoffconned. But here's a news flash -- not all titles do. He messed up Green Lantern doing that because it didn't need that treatment, and he also produced two movies that lost a vast amount of money. And Baz and Cruz as Green Lanterns are going DOWN!

To accuse someone of "hating" him for saying that is very strange. I think you'd have to admire him excessively and uncritically to get upset when someone does say it. But you're free to think otherwise.

Anyway, if the emotional spectrum is so great, then why have the successors to Johns pretty much dumped it? I think they've realized there's nowhere to go with it but down.

Go read Rich Johnston on Bleeding Cool. Now there's a guy who lowers the boom on Johns. You can leave comments about his columns.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-22-2018 at 06:02 AM.

BANNED

Yeah I should have clarified. Robin was a special case, in that he's a sidekick who's become a legacy character.

But hey, i'm not the guy with the problem, I'm just trying to explain what I thiiiiiink he means.
    If you want to think Robin is a legacy character, then please go ahead. But he was created to be a sidekick, and Bruce was still there the last time I checked.

There have plenty of legacy Robins though. Maybe that's what you mean.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-22-2018 at 06:01 AM.

There have plenty of legacy Robins though. Maybe that's what you mean.
    Indeed.

Emotional Spectrum
    Little story potential, overdeveloped.

City of Kor
    Huge story potential, undeveloped.

Doctor Fate
    Stuck in nostalgia prison.

Hawkpersons and Thanagar
    Started simple, got confusing.

Donna Troy
    Started confusing, now empty.

Cyborg
    Not enough New Gods.

Robins
    Too many characters, not enough places.

Justice League International
    Not enough places, not enough characters.

Hawkpersons and Thanagar
    Started simple, got confusing.
    Very true. The back and forth really makes it difficult to form any cohesion. Maybe just split them and go one earth is the Egypt thing and another earth is the Thanagar thing instead of bouncing back and forth and attempting to blend them together.
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

Now that is wacky. Johns is a very good writer, on those titles that need to be Geoffconned. But here's a news flash -- not all titles do. He messed up Green Lantern doing that because it didn't need that treatment, and he also produced two movies that lost a vast amount of money. And Baz and Cruz as Green Lanterns are going DOWN!

To accuse someone of "hating" him for saying that is very strange. I think you'd have to admire him excessively and uncritically to get upset when someone does say it. But you're free to think otherwise.

Anyway, if the emotional spectrum is so great, then why have the successors to Johns pretty much dumped it? I think they've realized there's nowhere to go with it but down.

Go read Rich Johnston on Bleeding Cool. Now there's a guy who lowers the boom on Johns. You can leave comments about his columns.
    Eh, it really does look like you have an axe to grind with Johns, based on your posting history and how you mention movies and the Green Lanterns book (he's not writing) here in this post. Like you want to blame him for all things bad GL wise but he hasn't written GL in what, 3 years.

Digression aside, I like the ES because it brought forth so many characters and story lines. They are emotions we all feel and experience daily. Just because Hope v Rage isn't happening right now, doesn't mean they aren't working on something for the future.

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

BANNED

Eh, it really does look like you have an axe to grind with Johns, based on your posting history and how you mention movies and the Green Lanterns book (he's not writing) here in this post. Like you want to blame him for all things bad GL wise but he hasn't written GL in what, 3 years.

Digression aside, I like the ES because it brought forth so many characters and story lines. They are emotions we all feel and experience daily. Just because Hope v Rage isn't happening right now, doesn't mean they aren't working on something for the future.
    I blame him for Baz and Cruz because they're his characters. He turned the Guardians evil too. You can like the emotional spectrum if you want to, but they fact that they've slipped into disuse should tell you that stories about them fighting each other have been done to death. Johns owns all that.

His approach of trying to build a franchise around Hal has also proved a bust. Hal is fine in one title, but DC has only two franchise characters -- Batman and Superman.

But he's not writing them, I mean by that logic we should blame Kane and Finger for the choices other writers have made for Batman. Johns doesn't own that.

They are emotions we all feel and experience daily.
    Greed, Willpower, Hope, Compassion, and Love aren't emotions, according to science. That's another thing I hated about the concept, how cheaply researched the concept was.

I get that it's fiction, but it's SCIENCE fiction.

Interesting study. Getting a bit stringent on the verbiage of emotion though. Fiction has to make sense, we feel love, we have Star Sapphires, we feel avarice, we have Larfleeze. It works, maybe not to everyone's liking, but it works.