Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I've wondered a few times if Exoristos from Demon Knights is still around or returned to Themyscira. (I never finished the title so I don't know what her status is.)

Hessia and Myrina seemed longer-lived despite not being on the island. I didn't read Odyssey of the Amazons, so I'm not sure if Hessia returned to Themyscira before showing up again in Superman/Wonder Woman.

I tend to think of the Amazons as immortal or at least long-lived versus mortals, regardless of whether or not they leave the island. Diana especially so, given her current demigod status and lineage.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I tend to think of the Amazons as immortal or at least long-lived versus mortals, regardless of whether or not they leave the island.
    I think they are immortal.

DCEU Amazons are for sure.

Well, it is an answer, but only valid right now. At least I personally also view secondary sources as rather suspect when it comes to determining canonicity, though here at least there are some primary sources that it supports.

Freshing up my Greek mythology a bit, I like the idea that the Amazons are similar to the nymphs, but instead of being minor nature goddesses/spirits, they are related to humanity and civilisation. It would fit neatly with the description in the movie, and Pérez could also arguably be read that way. That would imply that they are either immortal or extremely long-lived. Depending on handwavium, them being immortal or ageless can be tied to Themyscira (e.g. due to receding magic in the world).

Rucka's Rebirth run (Wonder Woman vol 5 issue 23) also implied that Izzy would never age if she decided to stay on Themyscira, so we have both a Themyscira variable and an Amazon variable here.

For myself, I think I'd prefer the Amazons to be very long-lived but not immortal, but that as long as they stay on Themyscira they will not die.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    and by immortal I mean AGELESS!

because if I recall correctly, originally she was not meant to be immortal because she was not aging as long as she was on the Paradise Island, not outside of it.

her origin changed to being the daughter of Zeus, something that I didn't like.

her old origin was more unique so I don't like this new origin retcon.

now, in the movies she is stated by Patty Jenkins that he is over 800 years old and calls her basically immortal.

my questions are, is she immortal in her current comic run and is she immortal in DCEU???

do you want her to be immortal or not and why???

personally, I liked when she was maintaining her youth on Paradise Island.
    Its swapped around alot. Under Marston it was established that the Amazons were immortal so long as they drank from the fountain of youth once a day which is on the island. That said he also established that Etta Candy using science would in the future develop a means of reverse engineering the fountain of youth and create a pill which replicates its effects which she was able to mass produce and distribute world wide, making all of Earth immortal.

Then it was established that any Amazon leaving the island unless they were the chosen champion (the Wonder Woman) would age into dust and perish. With Wonder Woman being exempt and retaining her immortality.

Then it was established they would simply start aging normally.
    Then it went back to the champion of the gods being immortal.
    Then they established that Diana was blessed by Gaea and was immortal so long as she remained on Earth.
    Then it was established that in the future Diana was destined to become the goddess of Truth and would be immortal.
    Then it was established that she was the daughter of zeus and might or might not age because of that.

In the movies she doesn't age but in the comics it hasn't been established.

Did they ever explain WHY she doesn't age in the movies?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    As if they ever bother with such things. XD
    We are given no hint that this setting has the fountain of youth from the golden age or that the island possesses any attributes which would make its inhabitants especially long lived. So presumably Diana and all other Amazons just happen to be ageless for no explained reason.
    Best ive got is a throwaway line at the very beginning of the movie about the Amazons as a people being created by the gods

Other than calling her a goddess (or demigoddess, though given that Greek mythology used the word in a wholly different way than is applicable to Diana, I don't like how the word is tossed around related to her by DC and others), AFAIK no.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    As if they ever bother with such things. XD
    We are given no hint that this setting has the fountain of youth from the golden age or that the island possesses any attributes which would make its inhabitants especially long lived. So presumably Diana and all other Amazons just happen to be ageless for no explained reason.
    Best ive got is a throwaway line at the very beginning of the movie about the Amazons as a people being created by the gods
    Wonder Woman movie don't need World building or explanations according to DC. They did not even clear if WW was made from Clay or biological daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Wonder Woman movie don't need World building or explanations according to DC. They did not even clear if WW was made from Clay or biological daughter.
    Some rules of thumb for successful long-term worldbuilding that I've picked up from various pros:

It is easier to keep consistency in the worldbuilding over time the fewer details the readers know. The author might need to know, but does the reader?

Show, don't tell applies to worldbuilding as well. Show the characters interact with the world, don't tell the readers how and why it interacts the way it does.

Keep the worldbuilding details in reserve until they are needed.

Always reserve the right to a better idea.

it was never stated that she doesn't age but she is over 800 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    it was never stated that she doesn't age but she is over 800 years old.
    I know she was in the TV show, but I haven't seen any reference to an actual age in the comics or TV show. Do you know where I could find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I know she was in the TV show, but I haven't seen any reference to an actual age in the comics or TV show. Do you know where I could find it?
    for the movie, Patty Jenkins said that for her, she is over 800.

in the comics, its hard to say.

it was 23 but it was retconned to centuries iirc.

The TV Wonder Woman was something like 2527 years old.

Retired

When old age shall this generation waste,
    Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe
    Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou sayst,
    "Beauty is truth, truth beauty," – that is all
    Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.