Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Is DCEU and Comic Book Wonder Woman immortal???

and by immortal I mean AGELESS!

because if I recall correctly, originally she was not meant to be immortal because she was not aging as long as she was on the Paradise Island, not outside of it.

her origin changed to being the daughter of Zeus, something that I didn't like.

her old origin was more unique so I don't like this new origin retcon.

now, in the movies she is stated by Patty Jenkins that he is over 800 years old and calls her basically immortal.

my questions are, is she immortal in her current comic run and is she immortal in DCEU???

do you want her to be immortal or not and why???

personally, I liked when she was maintaining her youth on Paradise Island.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

She's definitely immortal, or extremely long-lived, in the DCEU. Especially since she's a full god.

In the comics? It rarely comes up. She doesn't age in the books, but time advances pretty normally in her book so that doesn't mean much. She probably at least has a very long lifespan.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

And isn't the idea of being on/tied to Paradise Island to maintain immortality long gone with the 1985 Crisis?

In the comic book? We Do Not Know.

It's, in fact, amazing the number of things we don't know about her and the Amazons' and Hippolyta's backstories and other aspects.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    In the comic book? We Do Not Know.
    hm, that's a bit weird.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    hm, that's a bit weird.
    Unfortunately, with WW, it isn't weird - it's rather normal these days.

Three writers in as many years have given us three different versions of Diana, and each time the history is changed, the writers never seem to fill in the details.

- Azzarello created a Diana who was the daughter of Zeus and who became a full god after killing Ares. No mention is made of her immortality, what powers come with being a god, or how she became Wonder Woman.

- Rucka came along with Rebirth and set up Azzarello's version as a lie created by the gods to distract Diana from finding her true home/sisters since doing so would release Ares (thus negating the vast majority of Azzarello's version). In his story, Diana's powers were a gift from the gods, but again, no mention of immortality.

- Robinson now writes the book and Diana's powers now come from her being the daughter of Zeus. This seems to contradict what Rucka had written less than a year before, and again, no mention of immortality.

DC seems unwilling to commit to a consistent history and origin.

I would assume she is immortal for several reasons:

1. She is a demi-god, and in Robinson's version, other demi-gods have been around for thousands of years (until they were murdered)
    2. The Amazons are immortal
    3. At no point in any of the three versions we have gotten has there been any mention that I can recall that leaving Themyscira causes an Amazon to lose their immortality. This is also supported by a recent mini-series in which Amazons were gathering their immortal sisters from around the globe centuries ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Unfortunately, with WW, it isn't weird - it's rather normal these days.

Three writers in as many years have given us three different versions of Diana, and each time the history is changed, the writers never seem to fill in the details.

- Azzarello created a Diana who was the daughter of Zeus and who became a full god after killing Ares. No mention is made of her immortality, what powers come with being a god, or how she became Wonder Woman.

- Rucka came along with Rebirth and set up Azzarello's version as a lie created by the gods to distract Diana from finding her true home/sisters since doing so would release Ares (thus negating the vast majority of Azzarello's version). In his story, Diana's powers were a gift from the gods, but again, no mention of immortality.

- Robinson now writes the book and Diana's powers now come from her being the daughter of Zeus. This seems to contradict what Rucka had written less than a year before, and again, no mention of immortality.

DC seems unwilling to commit to a consistent history and origin.

I would assume she is immortal for several reasons:

1. She is a demi-god, and in Robinson's version, other demi-gods have been around for thousands of years (until they were murdered)
    2. The Amazons are immortal
    3. At no point in any of the three versions we have gotten has there been any mention that I can recall that leaving Themyscira causes an Amazon to lose their immortality. This is also supported by a recent mini-series in which Amazons were gathering their immortal sisters from around the globe centuries ago.
    Yeah, a lot of contradictions.

I loved her first origin story when she was a clay and was only immortal on Paradise Island. She aged outside of it as it was shown.

It was a unique origin and the best one.
    Last edited by GodThor; 01-22-2018 at 08:15 AM.

The only thing that Rucka explicitly wrote in #Rebirth is that an Amazon who leaves Themyscira forfeits her immortality and eternal youth.

Then again, I believe Rucka was operating under the presumption that Diana was not the product of an affair between Zeus and Hippolyta.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Unfortunately, with WW, it isn't weird - it's rather normal these days...
    I feel like I know more about Jason's formative years than I do about this version of Diana's. How he was brought up, when he was told about his true parentage, powers he developed over the years, even his first foray into superherodom (as "the Olympian"). It was all laid out for us very clearly.

The corresponding story for Diana is vague and confusing. "The Lies" told us what it wasn't, but "The Truth" didn't really tell us much about what it was. (It's possible that some of the aspects we associate with Azzarello's run, now folded into gods-generated hallucinations and false memories and Holodeck-like interactions, may also be present in her in-continuity story. Who knows?)

And, of course, Donna Troy's origin is also unclear, some version of the Finch story that will have to be altered to account for the fact that the malicious Amazons in that story, the Fates, dead Ares and Apollo coming back to life, the Amazon sons - all of those are likely to be different or simply excised. (Further complicated by the fact that we now know she was in the Teen Titans.)

As for Cassie Sandsmark - the only trace of her we've seen since before "The Lies"/"The Truth" is an adult version from some possible future in a SuperSons story.

This is one of the reasons I'm not too thrilled with all the page space given to Jason and Grail over the past few months. There are other characters, meant to be part of the Wonder Woman mythos, that I am way more interested in, whose backgrounds and stories are getting much less attention than they deserve. And even Donna's story, such as it is, is being handled in the Titans and not showing up in Wonder Woman in any way - which I think is highly likely to lead to even more confusion and contradictions.
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 01-23-2018 at 09:59 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    The only thing that Rucka explicitly wrote in #Rebirth is that an Amazon who leaves Themyscira forfeits her immortality and eternal youth.

Then again, I believe Rucka was operating under the presumption that Diana was not the product of an affair between Zeus and Hippolyta.
    I had forgotten that he had mentioned this, but as you said, at that time she didn't seem to be the daughter of Zeus considering that he and others later gave her powers.

Fantastic Member

Perez didn't answer this either, although I remember there perhaps being an oblique reference to whether she was immortal in War of the Gods. However, you'd think this is something they'd state unequivocally when she's ready to leave the island.

It wasn't until Byrne that it was stated that yes, leaving the island reduced her to a mortal.

Nowadays, who knows?

All-New Member

I did not like the Rucka Rebirth at all.
    The movie at least establishes that she is a demagoddess and likely immortal who discovers her full powers when she fights Ares.
    Justice League film depowered Diana quite a bit as she should be Superman's equal.
    In Batman vs. Superman she was holding her own with Doomsday.
    Rucka's history is very bad as it reduces Diana and invalidates all the stories of his predecessor which had some very good moments and great ideas like the Amazons being rapist/murderers, the children of Zeus and a great story line involving The First Born.
    I would like to see Rucka's version retconned out of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Sciquest2525 View Post
    I did not like the Rucka Rebirth at all.
    The movie at least establishes that she is a demagoddess and likely immortal who discovers her full powers when she fights Ares.
    Justice League film depowered Diana quite a bit as she should be Superman's equal.
    In Batman vs. Superman she was holding her own with Doomsday.
    Rucka's history is very bad as it reduces Diana and invalidates all the stories of his predecessor which had some very good moments and great ideas like the Amazons being rapist/murderers, the children of Zeus and a great story line involving The First Born.
    I would like to see Rucka's version retconned out of existence.
    hehe true.

everyone has their own preference.

I never like the daughter of Zeus storyline.

it's ok but I prefer her old origin.

Wonder Woman is ageless but not a full immortal, I see WW's variation of immortality as 'Biological Immortality' where she is still mortal, but except her bodies don't age at all, she stop aging only after she reach a certain point. Also she can't come back from death if she was in an extreme heat of battle and she does not have a weakness to a single source, as she can be slain by lethal methods.
    Last edited by Incognito; 02-05-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Astonishing Member

Yeah the stories do seemingly contradict with one another but can actually work on some level if we squint hard but that may be giving the writers too much credit.

The Amazon who mentioned Diana losing her immortality when leaving the Island in Rucka's run could simply not know Diana was Zeus' child as I think only a handful of Amazons are ACTUALLY aware of Diana being Zeus' daughter (as well as Jason) but that's admittedly conjecture between the two runs. I go with that idea as the Robinson run has left it unclear yet just when Diana found out Zeus was her father so far to my knowledge.

Diana's powers become a question as it's entirely possible she had some innate abilities as the daughter of Zeus but simply never became aware of them until when she received her gifts from her Patrons (which include Zeus).

However her agelessness has been one of those things that's always been played around with and is honestly a mystery most of the time in the comics, not even just recently.