Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    After ONE can of spinach.
    the other 99 are for augmenting his will power so he will not succumb to the witchery of the ring. lol

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Literally anyone with better willpower stuff than Sauron
    It's not just about willpower. The Ring wears you down with time. It's constantly whispering into your ear, trying to tempt and corrupt you with thoughts and dreams of power, most of which are lies anyway. Given enough time, ANYone is going to eventually succumb to its influence, except maybe for those who are so far gone there's nothing left to break. And even then, I can see the Ring's influence shaping and molding their darkness. So if someone like Alucard or Loki or Black Mage or (insert your favorite evil magical being here) were to get it, it would just make them even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by T-1000 View Post
    It's not just about willpower. The Ring wears you down with time. It's constantly whispering into your ear, trying to tempt and corrupt you with thoughts and dreams of power, most of which are lies anyway. Given enough time, ANYone is going to eventually succumb to its influence, except maybe for those who are so far gone there's nothing left to break. And even then, I can see the Ring's influence shaping and molding their darkness. So if someone like Alucard or Loki or Black Mage or (insert your favorite evil magical being here) were to get it, it would just make them even worse.
    Ugghh just went through this debate for pages here

http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post3394485

Basically short of a no limits fallacy you can't handwave the ring's feats to just anyone otherwise pretty much everyone up to I dunno even Lucifer Morningstar can fall prey to it and the answer becomes "absolutely no one can resist the one ring"

I will say that the idea of Lucifer Morningstar succumbing to the One Ring is kinda hilarious to me.

I mean...how does that even work?

By the way, to everyone saying that the ring amplifies people's powers as a specific thing it can do: The ring's ability to amplify power is also subject to no-limits-fallacies. I don't see it amplifying the power of, say, a random Antediluvian, because it has no feats of amplifying/increasing the powers of anything on that scale.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    the other 99 are for augmenting his will power so he will not succumb to the witchery of the ring. lol
    One should still suffice.

Dude genuinely not have much interest in the ring, he's a pretty simple dude, he likes Olive, he likes to fight Bluto, he likes to eat Spinach, no real grand designs.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

I just had the idea of Larfleeze with the one ring. I see him instantly "giving in" to the ring... And it doing nothing at all to him. He would instantly go after any temptation the ring offered, but the orange light is essentially a much, much more powerful version of the one ring, which has also made his mind into a death trap that puts planetary scale telepaths into a coma. I honestly think the ring would probably get corrupted and turned into a second orange ring or something.

The One Ring seems sort of like the Graveminds "logic plague" lol.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    The One Ring seems sort of like the Graveminds "logic plague" lol.
    Suddenly I remember my impulse to make a Freakazoid vs Logic Plague thread, but it's against the rules to post deliberate curbstomps

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I just had the idea of Larfleeze with the one ring. I see him instantly "giving in" to the ring... And it doing nothing at all to him. He would instantly go after any temptation the ring offered, but the orange light is essentially a much, much more powerful version of the one ring, which has also made his mind into a death trap that puts planetary scale telepaths into a coma. I honestly think the ring would probably get corrupted and turned into a second orange ring or something.
    That sounds very likely in this case.

Anyone immune to magic or negates magic would be immune to the Ring because magic is what enables the One Ring to tempt individuals, whisper temptations, etc. Indeed, someone capable of negating the Ring's magic could potentially destroy it as if it were an ordinary gold ring since the enchantments which make it otherwise indestructible would not be functioning.

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Anyone immune to magic or negates magic would be immune to the Ring because magic is what enables the One Ring to tempt individuals, whisper temptations, etc. Indeed, someone capable of negating the Ring's magic could potentially destroy it as if it were an ordinary gold ring since the enchantments which make it otherwise indestructible would not be functioning.
    On that note, wasn't the main girl in Negima immune to magic? Asuna Kagurazaka?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I dunno about that. I would say they'd need to at least have demonstrated immunity to mental influence, otherwise we're potentially conflating very different things.

Really though, like half the thing with the One Ring isn't even that the ring actively corrupts you (though it absolutely does do that), it's that using it at all is a slippery slope by its very design.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    The Ring does not actually use magic to corrupt people.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Jones from Gunnerkrigg Court would be fine with it. She could probably crush it between her fingers, for that matter.

Shang Bu Huan would just be glad he ONLY has to take it as far as Mount Doom to get rid of it. He's already carrying around 39 other corruptive artifacts.

I'd like to see Shang with it, honestly. We're talking about someone who has 39 swords that operate on the power scale of doing something like dumping a mountain-sized demon on the other side of the universe, which he references as bewitching minds and is carrying specifically to keep them out of the wrong hands. What HE uses for a sword, is a piece of carved wood that he painted silver to look like a sword, not even heavy like a bokken; he has to channel a lot of ki through it to use it in a fight, and it tires him out. A character asks him why he doesn't just use a regular sword at one point (after he just killed a bunch of guys with a stick), as it would be far less trouble. He says: "Shouldn't it be troubling to cut someone down? No matter how great your skills are, it should never be a casual, simple matter to brandish a sword. But when you're a slob to the core like me, constantly being penitent is too much of a pain. Carrying a sword with no edge is a lot easier."
    Last edited by BitVyper; 02-13-2018 at 12:58 AM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The Ring does not actually use magic to corrupt people.
    The Ring can only do anything at all due to magic. Without magic it would be an inanimate object. How can you tempt if you can't speak, or even think?

And with no mouth to whisper it has to be conveying its words through magic, even if there are no magical compulsions included in them. How can you tempt someone deaf to your words because the magic that causes them to be heard can't affect the intended target of temptation?