Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Anomander Rake could probably LOLnope the thing.

I hate the character, but someone like Bean from Card's novels might be able to resist on pure intellect.

I know a couple of guys from Rake's universe who might just try to blow up the thing ...
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    but someone like Bean
    I think someone like Bean would be perfect here!

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I wonder about someone like your friend and mine, Doctor Doom. Yes, yes, in many respects, he's a walking buffet of arrogance and self-deception for the ring to manipulate. On the other hand, he resists mental and emotional influences that no one else on the entire planet could resist and this is the planet of the Marvel Universe. Could it be a case of resistance in one setting that is beyond any resistance that existed in another? Granted one could as easily argue that Frodo did what nobody else on his planet could have done by getting as far as he did.

Or maybe Q? Or does that fall under, "Beings of deity equivalent are inherently immune"?
    Doom, no. Q, yes. Doom is a petty, spiteful, envious dick, his ambition is endless and he's arrogant enough to think he can wear the ring and dominate it. Q on the other hand wants nothing, he has no ambition, no goals, the ring has nothing to offer because he has everything already.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

It's The Doctor. I can honestly picture him resisting long enough to drop it off in a supernova or something.
    Some Doctors? Absolutely.

This particular Doctor? Hell no. He's already corrupt and power-mad.

Literally anyone with better willpower stuff than Sauron

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

karchev.jpg

alexander karchev. aka, karchev the terrible.

the oldest serving solider and warcaster in all of khador, at over 100 years of active service. dude is ridiculously hard to kill. why? because he doesn't want to die. you heard me. karchev is such a boss, that he refuses to die through sheer force of will and utterly dedication to the empire. hell, when denegra, one of cryx's most dangerous warcaster, captured him and tortured him, both physically and mentally, he just told her to eat shit and die.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I know a couple of guys from Rake's universe who might just try to blow up the thing ...
    A COUPLE? :-)

But yes, Fiddler and Hedge would DEFINITELY do it, and would quite likely succeed, through some insane Rube Goldberg machine of explosives. And, you know, just being generally badass semi-ascendants.

Quick Ben would be smart enough to stay waaaaaay the hell away from the thing.

Tayschrenn? Oh man, you do not want it in Tay's hands. He's roughly the PERFECT target for the thing: he'd absolutely think that he could control it, he's STUPIDLY powerful (continent-buster types step softly around him), he's on-and-off ambitious, and he thinks that what he's doing is for some greater good even when it's evil shit.

That applies to a LOT of people in Malazan, really. There are very few "pure" souls there, and a lot of people with a lot of power. This applies to most of the Azathani/Elder Gods and whatnot, as well as most of the High Mages and gods and such.

I would genuinely like to see the ring try it's shit with Icarium. Icarium is basically the Sentry: nice and chill and almost naive until he Voids the F$ù£ out. The Ring don't want no part of that.

Trell could probably just carry the thing and chuck it into Mount Doom, no blood no foul. It's just who and what he is. He wouldn't even realize that it was particularly special that he could do so.

Dassem, thanks to all of the new info we have on him, is another who may well be able to LOLnope the thing.

Wu/Kellenved/Amanas/Shadowthrone LooooooOVES him some trinkets, he'd definitely be easy pickings. But the ring might take one look into his mind and say "Um, no, I mean, I like me some crazy, but I did noooooooot sign up for this shit."

And then there is Karsa. On the one hand, he's violent, destructive and chaotic. On the other, he's so arrogant (at least until he saw Rake and Dassem fight) that he'd probably see the ring as a downgrade and chuck the thing into the deepest part of the deepest ocean on the planet.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Anomander Rake could probably LOLnope the thing.
    Rake is one of the few people from Malazan with the power (easily more than Sauron), will, and personality to manage to laugh it off.

As noted, it wouldn't be a big deal for all kinds of people from that series to simply destroy the darned thing themselves.

I hate the character, but someone like Bean from Card's novels might be able to resist on pure intellect.
    I'm not sure that pure intellect is the best way to go, here.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

BANNED

I mentioned her in the other thread, but I'd half expect Sakura Kinomoto to somehow befriend the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Rake is one of the few people from Malazan with the power (easily more than Sauron), will, and personality to manage to laugh it off.

As noted, it wouldn't be a big deal for all kinds of people from that series to simply destroy the darned thing themselves.
    How could I forget Kruppe! Kruppe would no-sell the thing with ease. Hell, the ring would probably do everything in it's considerable power to get onto another continent from Kruppe - do everything and fail miserably. And then it would wind up as Kruppe's slave. And spend the rest of it's existence searching out tasty treats for Kruppe.

The ring couldn't even make Kruppe refer to himself in the third person, since that's all Kruppe does already. The ring is just not ready for Kruppe.

I'm not sure that pure intellect is the best way to go, here.
    Fair enough: I was also sort of leading towards how he's COMPLETELY fine NOT being the boss, not being seen as the best, etc. He has no real pride to injure or inflate, and no real character faults or flaws to exploit. This is why I hate his character, FWIW.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

How could I forget Kruppe! Kruppe would no-sell the thing with ease. Hell, the ring would probably do everything in it's considerable power to get onto another continent from Kruppe - do everything and fail miserably. And then it would wind up as Kruppe's slave. And spend the rest of it's existence searching out tasty treats for Kruppe.

The ring couldn't even make Kruppe refer to himself in the third person, since that's all Kruppe does already. The ring is just not ready for Kruppe.
    Kruppe is a bit of a special case. O_o

I'd find it more amusing if Bugg got ahold of it and sat and discussed it with Tehol. I mean, Tehol...the Ring would have a field day with him, despite his utter lack of care about his own circumstances, but as long as Bugg were holding it, it would just be one of those things they could argue about.

Bugg easily having the power and 'no' attitude to ignore it. We're into a 'Could the Ring corrupt Ulmo?' area with him.

Fair enough: I was also sort of leading towards how he's COMPLETELY fine NOT being the boss, not being seen as the best, etc. He has no real pride to injure or inflate, and no real character faults or flaws to exploit. This is why I hate his character, FWIW.
    He has wants, desires, that kind of thing. He's not a robot. His personality might be such that the Ring might have a little trouble finding a lever (which makes it sound sentient - it isn't, not so much), but he has no special resistance as far as I can see. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Kruppe is a bit of a special case. O_o
    No better way to describe him than that, is there?

I'd find it more amusing if Bugg got ahold of it and sat and discussed it with Tehol. I mean, Tehol...the Ring would have a field day with him, despite his utter lack of care about his own circumstances, but as long as Bugg were holding it, it would just be one of those things they could argue about.

Bugg easily having the power and 'no' attitude to ignore it. We're into a 'Could the Ring corrupt Ulmo?' area with him.
    Definitely true there. And at worst, if it started to grab hold of Tehol and make him do something less than utterly brilliant, Bugg could just deal with the ring much like he dealt with the Crippled God when he was first getting a little grabby.

He has wants, desires, that kind of thing. He's not a robot. His personality might be such that the Ring might have a little trouble finding a lever (which makes it sound sentient - it isn't, not so much), but he has no special resistance as far as I can see. ^_^
    Yeah, I can't argue that, I was just trying to find the closest to "normal human" I could think of who could deal with it. He'd go down eventually, no doubt, but he's another who would likely just be smart and determined enough to never let the ring sink it's teeth in: he'd never touch the thing, likely recognizing the threat and Gandalf-ing it.

I will repeat my statement. Anyone stronger in magic than Sauron is immune,!and anyone who is content in their lives with no ambitions can nope it. The Grey Marines are a good deal due to their setting I accept that.

As for others. If you have ambition, including Doom and some DOCtors. The ring will sew them over. It takes your dream to twist your compass.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

any decent member of the skorne race could resist it. the skorne are a race of lizard like beings who live for war. they either don't have a concept of peace or find the idea utterly alien. the skorne have no religion as other races have them, I.E. no creator gods to worship, no church to pray at or even a afterlife to speak of. in their beliefs, if you die, you just go to a hellish place called the void. to prevent this, all skorne believe in a strict warrior code of dying honorably in combat. doing so will give your soul the honor of being exhaulted, a process that transfers your soul into a special crystal or statue to serve as advisers to the next generation of skorne warriors. the skorne are all hardcore like that.

all except one. dominar rasheth. why you ask? better to show you.

this is how a typical skorne looks.

and this is rasheth.

rasheeth.jpg

yep. while most skorne are trained in the arts of warfare, rasheth is a lazy fatass who openly bucks the codes and traditions of his people. the only reason no one hasn't already killed him is twofold.

1: his house produces some of the best warbeasts in the whole of the empire, thus making them a asset for the war effort.

2: he is a stupid powerful warlock. like, he can channel his spells through any living being in his army, thus giving him unparalleled spell reach.

but yeah, the ring would have a field day with him.