Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A pledge to Marvel and CB Cebulski: Give Dan Slott an "All-Star Spider-Man" book

My theory is that whoever is coming up to replace him will screw things up so badly - and all signs indicate that's Nick Spencer - that in less than one year the outcry will be so high that they will have no option but bringing him back.

Spider-Man and Superman taught me how to read. Dan Slott is literally my all time favorite comic book writer and Spider-Man is my all time favorite character in fiction. I feel like Slott was put in a daunting and gruelling schedule that didn't do him any favors but yet he soldiered on with one of the best runs that the character has ever had. I need him writing Spider-Man, and if it's an All-Star Batman kind of deal, I'd be down for that.

Get him paired up with Marcos Martin, Paolo Rivera, Humberto Ramos, Giuseppe Camuncoli, Mark Bagley and Stuart Immonen. I honestly think Dan got unfairly criticized online while his sales proved that people love his book. It's only fair that now he gets to tell Spider-Man stories at a reasonable pace and with some of the best artists in comics. Basically, give him the same treatment that DC Comics is doing with Scott Snyder. Pretty please? That's the compromise I can give to keep reading Amazing Spider-Man going forward without Dan. Give him the chance to write Spider-Man stories with the same pace and time he had for his Silver Surfer critically acclaimed books. I'm quite sure that I wouldn't be the only one excited and happy to see Dan getting the recognition he deserves. And please Dan, I know that you still hang around here from time to time. At least pitch them this idea.
    Last edited by ijacksparrow; 01-22-2018 at 03:04 AM.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Give the new writer a chance I say. There is no need to be so presumptive of disaster.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-22-2018 at 09:10 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Talk about not even giving the new writer a chance. We don't even officially know who the new writer is and we're already seeing people declare it such a disaster they'd rather see the outgoing writer of the last 10 years come back.

Yeah, this is ridiculous. Patience, grasshopper!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Slott wrote the character for the better part of decade. I think the dude deserves a break from writing him.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    My theory is that whoever is coming up to replace him will screw things up so badly - and all signs indicate that's Nick Spencer - that in less than one year the outcry will be so high that they will have no option but bringing him back.
    Did a public outcry bring Chris Claremont back to the X-Men? About a decade later, and by then he was way past his best.

Slott is creatively spent at this point, and the sales have reflected the reader's fatigue.

Yeah, let the creative team actually have a chance to write the series for a bit before judging if they live up to Slott's run or not.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, let the creative team actually have a chance to write the series for a bit before judging if they live up to Slott's run or not.
    We're already seeing what not giving a creative team a shot is doing to Renew Your Vows. I've seen some hairball "reviews" of it on Youtube that are really reaching for things to dislike about it just because it's a new team and a time skip.

BANNED

What comic characters need are new voices.

Slott has written Spider-Man for ten years or so. He's kept it as Marvel's best selling superhero book, but rather than relying on him for sales, Marvel would be better served finding another writer that can deliver the same level of sales success.

I'm hoping for a new Roger Stern, Tom Defalco, Peter David, J.M.S (when he doesn't want to go the weird route), Paul Jenkins (not his Spectacular run), Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, or Stan Lee (sans the outdated hokey bits of dialogue).

Now as for Dan Slott having more work on the character as soon as he leaves the main title is too soon, he should try his hands in other characters, starting with his dream character; Moon Knight (big fan by the way).

If you realize I left out an important name or more, it's because I don't think of them as highly as most people do. I love what Gerry Conway (though he made his share of crap) did in the 80s-90s more than his overrated 70s work.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post

Spider-Man and Superman taught me how to read. Dan Slott is literally my all time favorite comic book writer and Spider-Man is my all time favorite character in fiction. I feel like Slott was put in a daunting and gruelling schedule that didn't do him any favors but yet he soldiered on with one of the best runs that the character has ever had. I need him writing Spider-Man, and if it's an All-Star Batman kind of deal, I'd be down for that.

Get him paired up with Marcos Martin, Paolo Rivera, Humberto Ramos, Giuseppe Camuncoli, Mark Bagley and Stuart Immonen. I honestly think Dan got unfairly criticized online while his sales proved that people love his book. It's only fair that now he gets to tell Spider-Man stories at a reasonable pace and with some of the best artists in comics. Basically, give him the same treatment that DC Comics is doing with Scott Snyder. Pretty please? That's the compromise I can give to keep reading Amazing Spider-Man going forward without Dan. Give him the chance to write Spider-Man stories with the same pace and time he had for his Silver Surfer critically acclaimed books. I'm quite sure that I wouldn't be the only one excited and happy to see Dan getting the recognition he deserves. And please Dan, I know that you still hang around here from time to time. At least pitch them this idea.
    I think you should read some back issues. There have been better Spider-Man writers over the years.

Additionally, Slott walked away from ASM, not vice-versa. He doesn't want to write Spider-Man anymore.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 01-22-2018 at 02:19 PM.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Yeah, I love Dan Slott and all, but leaving Spider-Man was clearly his initiative. Let the man move on!

Slott's not a prolific writer, so keeping him on Spider-Man would be preventing him from doing other books he's interested in.

It might make sense to offer something like this in a few years when Slott might have pent up Spider-Man ideas, but not when he's leaving after a decade (and approximately 150 issues.) At this point, I don't think he has much left to say about the character.

It could be interesting to see a title where great writers return to the character for new stories. But at this point, the likes of Roger Stern, JM DeMatteis, Marv Wolfman, Gerry Conway, Christopher Priest and Peter David would be better fits.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member

If there would be a notable change in the way the comic is produced compared to ASM (production time, preferred artists, story structure) and Dan has a burning desire to do this, then I'd be all for it.

Without either of those ingredients, count me out.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I mean, I can think of a few (only a few) writers who might be able to do a better job than Slott, but the vast majority of writers at Marvel would be a huge downgrade, especially Spencer. I’m really not excited.