Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is Identity Crisis worth Buying?

I just ordered Crisis on Infinite Earths while owning all the other Crisis events aside from Identity Crisis, which I know is divisive to say the least.... Is it worth buying, even if just to have a copy of each 'Crisis'?

Astonishing Member

That'll depend on what you want them for.

I think it's a decent story overall but it's hardly a Crisis in the same way as the others are.

I do think it's something of a good lead up to the next REAL Crisis the Infinite Crisis.

But on it's own? I dunno. The only bit I ever loved originally from it involved Firestorm, Shadow Thief and Shining Knight and that was only a page or two.

If you're a completest, sure. But I'd say to pick it up from the library and give it a read through first.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    I just ordered Crisis on Infinite Earths while owning all the other Crisis events aside from Identity Crisis, which I know is divisive to say the least.... Is it worth buying, even if just to have a copy of each 'Crisis'?
    Identity Crisis is a prequel do Infinite Crisis.
    To me is is one of the best JL stories. It involves everyone and well presents all the DC characters.

And what do you concider a "Crisis" ? is it only a story with Crisis in its name ?
    Because if you don't limit yourself to that there are more than 4 Crisis:

1. Flash of Two Worlds
    2. Crisis on Multiple Earths
    3. Crisis on Infinite Earths
    4. Zero Hour
    5. DC One Million
    6. Crisis Times Five
    7. Identity Crisis
    8. Infinite Crisis
    9 (52)
    10. (Countdown to Final Crisis)
    11. Infinite Crisis
    12. Blackest Night
    13. Brightest Day
    14. Flashpoint
    15. (Trinity War)
    16. Forever Evil
    17. (Blight)
    18. Futures End
    19. World's End
    20. Convergence
    21. The Multiversity
    22. DC Rebirth
    23. (Batman/The Flash: The Button)
    24. Doomsday Clock

I was really focusing on the ones with Wally West in Crucial Roles- So from Crisis on Infinte Earths- Blackest Night and Rebirth onwards. I do have Forever Evil and Futures End though.

I was really focusing on the ones with Wally West in Crucial Roles- So from Crisis on Infinte Earths- Blackest Night and Rebirth onwards. I do have Forever Evil and Futures End though.
    Then do read Flash of Two Worlds, Rebirth, The Button, and Doomsday Clock.

Horrible mini. Don't waste your time.

I can't say it was a great investment on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    It’s an excellent story, but the two Flashes in Flash of Two Worlds are Barry and Jay, rather than Wally.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    I've literally read everything since Rebirth, I read almost DC's entire line. Havent read the Flash of Two Workds though.

I've literally read everything since Rebirth, I read almost DC's entire line. Havent read the Flash of Two Workds though.
    That's because it's the first story that fits in the DC Crisis list. It's from the Silver Age. In this story the current Flash, comes across the Golden age Flahs (whose on another timeline/earth/univers). It is the first story that establishes the DC Multivers. And it is an interresting story.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd say 100% avoid it.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-24-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Spectacular Member

It’s decent imo, but certain character aspects may leave a sour taste, I know it’s been mentioned already but one particular scene involving Deathstroke leaves many scratching heads, but it has great call backs to eras gone by and also gives the likes of Green Arrow, Ralph Dibny, Canary and Hawkman among others more like limelight than usual.
    For me, It’s solid overall and worth a read.

Identity Crisis = Good idea on paper, poor execution. Nice art, bad story, and a waste of a novel use of the phrase 'Identity Crisis' for a DC event.

Some parts of the mini seem more like fanfic with certain characters unbelievably amped up in ability, some characters being made more over-the-top diabolical to redeem them from being considered a joke, some characters being utterly ruined and treated terribly, and it's is awash with an overall embarrassment of DC's Silver and Bronze Age comics.

And fair warning: if it was a movie, it would get an R rating at the very least, as it's obviously intended for mature readers, even though it was marketed as a mainstream JLA and Crisis title and didn't carry a Mature Readers tag.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

People are very divided on this series. Personally, it is my all-time favorite Justice League story. Others feel like it was the worst. All opinions are valid of course but I would suggest that you find out for yourself. You're likely to really hate it or really love it. That's a bet worth taking every time, IMO. It's neither a universally beloved or universally hated series; it inspired both responses from different people.

A lot of great art (and a lot of terrible art) is controversial in this way. I think the only way to know is to read it for yourself. It's pretty inexpensive, especially with all the sales these days.

I'd be curious to know your opinion if you do read it.

Identity Crisis was the TPB that got me into DC comics. Up till I read that, I was strictly Marvel.

It's not a traditional 'Crisis' story- the story is smaller in scope and more personal. And it's fairly controversial. But I enjoyed it, and would happily recommend it.