Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Yes, I agree. It wouldn't have taken much, really, to set the balance better.

The early numbers of JL are what's telling. It had an extra long "first weekend" and still was low. That says that the audience has checked out already. Part of that it due to the marketing... but a lot of that has to do with MoS and BvS. WW did well due to the fact that it's the first WW movie and word of mouth helped it from there. MoS and BvS (mainly BvS) are what really killed JL;s early numbers, and word of mouth kept it low. People had made up their minds about the franchise at that point.

It's going to take a VERY concerted effort on WB's part for future movies that tie into the franchise. They've got to be careful, but moreso they've got to be smart: two things they hadn't been much of up to this point.
    After my last post, I thought maybe I was being unfair in saying MoS and B v S were the reasons that JL flopped. I thought it could be that people saw it but didn't go see it again or again and again which is what pushes the ticket sales on lots of movies up or maybe it was bad word of mouth. But then I checked and saw that even it's opening weekend was very bad which means it wasn't people seeing it and deciding not to see it more than once and it wasn't word of mouth. People weren't going to see it to begin with which means, as you said, they had already made up their minds they were done with spending money on this particular series. It was a sight unseen decision for most people based on what the series had previously given them.

I think it's unfortunate because I genuinely think MoS was a lot better than it gets credit for being and I really did love the idea of Superman in a world where people react realistically, where bigotry and fearful reactions are a very real thing and so on.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

How would posters here feel about Doug Liman directing the next Superman movie?

Edge of Tomorrow is one of my favorite action movies.

Whatever happens. Happens TheNomadicOne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post

On the one hand, Edge of Tomorrow is indeed super awesome. On the other hand, he also made Jumper which was horrible IMO.

I'm cautiously optimistic since he also made Bourne Identity which I personally enjoyed.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I find it unlikely that Snyder would ever give a Schumacher-esque mea culpa.
    He doesn't need to. Instead he gets appreciation

It is an undeniable fact that Man of Steel actually brought in new people to Superman and made them fans of the character. People might say as many times as they want that DCEU Superman is "not their Superman", but when I read and listen people's reasons for why they loved Snyder's Superman, I see that they appreciate him for same reasons as I do in comics and other media like cartoons and Smallville.

As long as Superman is cherished for his goodness, it is not that matter if he smiles 24/7 or saves kittens on screen or talks to kids on the street.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

There must be some truth in the rumor of a Superman's cameo in Shazam or the director David Sandberg would have already debunked it as he did with all the fake rumors about his movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    After my last post, I thought maybe I was being unfair in saying MoS and B v S were the reasons that JL flopped. I thought it could be that people saw it but didn't go see it again or again and again which is what pushes the ticket sales on lots of movies up or maybe it was bad word of mouth. But then I checked and saw that even it's opening weekend was very bad which means it wasn't people seeing it and deciding not to see it more than once and it wasn't word of mouth. People weren't going to see it to begin with which means, as you said, they had already made up their minds they were done with spending money on this particular series. It was a sight unseen decision for most people based on what the series had previously given them.
    Oh, yeah. Honestly, I thought Justice League was going to be the last security blanket they were going to get.. and they soiled even that. I was kinda surprised that what I predicted would happen eventually happened at least one movie sooner than I thought. The studio obviously saw this in advance, hence the short runtime. That way they get as many showings (and thus as much money) as possible before it fizzles. Which is unfortunate.

I think it's unfortunate because I genuinely think MoS was a lot better than it gets credit for being and I really did love the idea of Superman in a world where people react realistically, where bigotry and fearful reactions are a very real thing and so on.
    MoS is one of those movies... much as I hated it the first time I saw it, it was such that the next movie was either going to make it better or worse in hindsight. Sadly, for me at least, it's the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    It is an undeniable fact that Man of Steel actually brought in new people to Superman and made them fans of the character. People might say as many times as they want that DCEU Superman is "not their Superman", but when I read and listen people's reasons for why they loved Snyder's Superman, I see that they appreciate him for same reasons as I do in comics and other media like cartoons and Smallville.

As long as Superman is cherished for his goodness, it is not that matter if he smiles 24/7 or saves kittens on screen or talks to kids on the street.
    While I'll always maintain that a more nuanced medium would have kept more folks happy and still had much the same effect that you're describing for these fans, I can still say that I'm happy there are new fans who've been brought in by those movies. I'll argue my opinions on the merits I feel they have, but I do my best (ymmv on my success level lol) to never say that mine has to be anyone else's. So to those who enjoy these, I'm glad you all for you that you have them. Seriously.
    Last edited by JAK; 01-27-2018 at 04:45 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post

He would be a good choice, but my preference would still be Matthew Vaughn, he knows how to do action and humor very well, he probably would want to put the trunks back tho.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    He doesn't need to. Instead he gets appreciation

I'm glad he's getting praise for his work. I think that, in many ways, his ideas outweigh his abilities BUT I also remember long ago reading an article from a psychologist who was of the opinion that there many stories in many media that have flaws and plot holes but when someone at the core level doesn't like a story, they tend to rip it apart at every flaw and plot hole, even creating some, while stories they like, it is hard to get them to even admit to there being flaws and gaping plot holes. That's just human nature and his big point was that there is a growing opinion that people like and dislike things first at a level of visceral reaction and then look for "rational" reasons why they liked or disliked it.

MoS did deal with a lot of fascinating issues. I wish at the end it had gotten into far more detail but it was only the second movie to deal with Superman as an alien and how people might react to that and the first one to do it directly and show what would most likely really would happen in terms of reactions.

To be honest, were it not for the Marvel movies, it would be considered quite successful financially. I think the MCU stuff has changed the definition of successful in terms of the superhero genre.
    Power with Girl is better.