Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    Superman is not the same character in JL as before. The world all of a sudden loves him and is not, at best, divided over his existence probably because it would be stupid as hell to continue with this in regards to Superman when seemingly no one gives a damn about the existence of Wonder Woman, Flash and Aquaman. He also acts way too much like a happy Superman and not a Superman that is constantly angsting over the fact that half the world hates him no matter what he does. They blew their load with Superman dying so early, his nonsensical reaction to Zod's death and the aftermath, his utter incompetence on-screen and Luthor needing to engineer a needlessly overcomplicated and insanely stupid scheme to frame Superman and Batman when he could've just played up the fact that Superman was partially responsible for the immense destruction, albeit with mostly good intentions, all for the sole purpose of giving Lois Lane something to do and diverting eyes from the realization that she's otherwise a completely pointless character.

I don't hate Snyder films because they're "not my Superman". I hate them because they are badly made, horribly written, terribly acted (mostly) and managed to screw up some really interesting ideas and a great Superman actor in Henry Cavill all because Zack Snyder is a godawful filmmaker who keeps getting more gigs, most likely because his wife is a WB producer.
    This critique doesn't really make sense. BvS already establishes that the world accepted Superman when they collectively mourned his self-sacrifice, and both BvS and Justice League make it pretty explicit that Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman aren't as in the spotlight nearly as much as Superman was. His personality change is a bit drastic, but a lot of the world doesn't hate him anymore.

His reaction to Zod's death is also perfectly reasonable, and he's never shown to be incompetent.

I honestly expect no such announcement until the time of the blu-Ray release of JUSTICE LEAGUE in March, at the absolute earliest.

My gut feeling is that WB has no problem at all with Henry Cavill, and would like to bring him back, but they have issues with both Snyder and Whedon. I bet we see Cavill as Superman again, only the next time we see him won't be in MOS2, but opposite Dwayne Johnson in SHAZAM! in a guest/cameo role.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    I don't hate Snyder films because they're "not my Superman". I hate them because they are badly made, horribly written, terribly acted (mostly) and managed to screw up some really interesting ideas and a great Superman actor in Henry Cavill all because Zack Snyder is a godawful filmmaker who keeps getting more gigs, most likely because his wife is a WB producer.
    Much of my thoughts as well. It's a good bit "not my Superman," but I'd still be lenient and probably defend the films more if Zach wasn't so terrible a filmmaker (except for like two films, neither of which involved Superman or superheroes). The worst sin is making the bad slogs he thinks are movies.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-24-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I honestly expect no such announcement until the time of the blu-Ray release of JUSTICE LEAGUE in March, at the absolute earliest.

My gut feeling is that WB has no problem at all with Henry Cavill, and would like to bring him back, but they have issues with both Snyder and Whedon. I bet we see Cavill as Superman again, only the next time we see him won't be in MOS2, but opposite Dwayne Johnson in SHAZAM! in a guest/cameo role.
    I think the current movie-verse is carved in stone. I don't see them willing to go back to the drawing board this far in. Especially with the success of WW. It's just a matter of retooling what they already have. I don't see Snyder being invited back unless it's something to do with Batman. I wouldn't mind letting Jenkins take over the next Superman film after WW. Maybe they should do it like Star Wars, let a different director take the helm per movie. As long as they sign off on the scripts it should work.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I may be reading tea leaves and putting on my tin foil hat, but the return of Superman's red trunks may have been helped along if Mathew Vaughn is the mystery director who's in final negotiations to direct the next Superman movie. Vaughn has been quite forthright with the fact that he would include the red speedos.
    Given all that is about to take place with Action 1000, (rediscovery of history) and the comic events to follow, a MOS-2 film in theaters with-in 3 years would be a good Vegas Bet, give it 3:1 odds as WB/DC look to capitalize. I'm sure there's a proto-script out there somewhere, tucked away in someone's PC just waiting.....

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Much of my thoughts as well. It's a good bit "not my Superman," but I'd still be lenient and probably defend the films more if Zach wasn't so terrible a filmmaker (except for like two films, neither of which involved Superman). The worst sin is making the bad slogs he thinks are movies.
    Zack, is more a of visual guy, if you want big budget explosions and alike, then he is your guy. Ideally, you need someone who can direct and tell a good story and maybe from different or, multiple view point so, I wonder how people would feel if a woman directed for the next Superman Movie i.e. Patty Jenkins - she did a good job on WW, can lighting strike twice?

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    WB will only use Flashpoint to enact retcons if they are completely braindead nincompoops, and I will be utterly furious if that unlikely scenario turns out to be the case. That would be the moment that I write off DC films as so many have done before.
    Well... they've kinda proven that they are... Granted, that doesn't mean they'll do it, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Moving on, the possibility of news about a new Superman movie, director and all, excites me greatly, and I really hope it turns out to be true! Cavill's a great Superman who needs a crowd-pleaser of a script and a crowd-pleaser of a director.
    Agreed. Henry deserves no less!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    This critique doesn't really make sense. BvS already establishes that the world accepted Superman when they collectively mourned his self-sacrifice, and both BvS and Justice League make it pretty explicit that Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman aren't as in the spotlight nearly as much as Superman was. His personality change is a bit drastic, but a lot of the world doesn't hate him anymore.

His reaction to Zod's death is also perfectly reasonable, and he's never shown to be incompetent.
    His reaction to Zod was fine - but JL was certainly a tone change. The world went from being a terrible place and divided about Superman until he died to becoming a bad and divided place after he died. They aren't divided on him, that's true, but the framing was totally reversed.

As for the incompetent... in ways yes, and in ways no. Ymmv, depending on how you see the films.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Zack, is more a of visual guy, if you want big budget explosions and alike, then he is your guy. Ideally, you need someone who can direct and tell a good story and maybe from different or, multiple view point so, I wonder how people would feel if a woman directed for the next Superman Movie i.e. Patty Jenkins - she did a good job on WW, can lighting strike twice?
    Felt like torturing myself and so I watched Batman & Robin on Netflix yesterday. I have come to the conclusion that Zack Snyder is this era's Joel Schumacher. Great at visuals but a terrible story teller.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Felt like torturing myself and so I watched Batman & Robin on Netflix yesterday. I have come to the conclusion that Zack Snyder is this era's Joel Schumacher. Great at visuals but a terrible story teller.

Schumacher, Nice tie in!

Question: when do you think we'll see a Superman and Supergirl in IMAX on the big screen - MOS-2 maybe, and who will play Supergirl ...would it be Melissa?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Schumacher, Nice tie in!

Question: when do you think we'll see a Superman and Supergirl in IMAX on the big screen - MOS-2 maybe, and who will play Supergirl ...would it be Melissa?
    Would love to see Supergirl in a movie. But I doubt it will be Melissa. They tend to want to do their own thing in a movie and set it apart from what is on TV. Why Ezra Miller is the DCEU version of Flash.
    Plus she is too damn busy already. She could do something like Patriots Day or Waco because it didn't tie up too much of her time, but unless it is just sort of a cameo as Supergirl it is a much bigger
    commitment to film a big movie like that. And if it's just a cameo, why bother? And she'll be in her 30s by then. Even though she still looks young they'd probably want to go with someone actually
    younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I find it unlikely that Snyder would ever give a Schumacher-esque mea culpa.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    How was it a soft Reboot? What needed to be REBOOTED? Superman was A HERO saving people on a DAILY BASIS that CANNOT BE IGNORED. Hell it was SHOWN. HE gave a damn as Superman AND as CLARK. If You and other like you Blame him for things LUTHOR engineered that making you the patsies of Lex's manipulation to which I say damn Lex, Bravo sir also would you like to buy a bridge?
    Justice League re-branded Superman in a way that made his heroic elements more... front and center, shall we say?

I can't deny that Superman was a hero during Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice, and I'd never say that Zod or Luthor's crimes were Kal-El's fault even a little bit.

All of which said, he was also under a lot of pressure during both of those movies, which contributed to the pensive look on his face during the BvS saving-people montage, the expression that occasionally leads people to say foolish and inaccurate things like "he resents saving people". No, no he does not, but he does question whether he's really making a difference worth remarking on, and that contributes to his eventual decision to quit, another thing that people point to and say "he resents saving people", which again, no. Meanwhile, in Man of Steel, he's similarly apprehensive, unsure about what people will think of his powers, his alien heritage as his kinsmen invade, etc. He ultimately doesn't hesitate much in making all the right choices, but the apprehension's still there, replaced with confidence only midway through the story, and even then there's still this sense that Kal doesn't feel blameless in all of Zod's monstrous crimes. Only once he recovers from the shock of killing General Zod, in conflict with his own gentle nature, do we see a Superman who seems fully comfortable and confident, a confidence born out of his willingness to trust humanity. Moving on to Dawn, the first few scenes see humanity's trust for him and his trust for humanity mutually ripped away- and only in part by Luthor- so what we don't see a lot of is Kal at his most confident and comfortable.

What I'm saying is that Superman as we see him in Dawn of Justice and Man of Steel, Superman-Under-Pressure, is a character prone to being misread. When he comes back in Justice League, that pressure is gone, and he's confident and comfortable for the entire last third or so of the film.

It's a soft reboot in that it rebrands Superman's character to make his confidence more obvious, without actually changing that character in a way that discards what came before.

It's not just Superman, it rebrands Batman as well, changing him from a hot mess of toxic hyper-masculinity into a hot-mess of toxic hyper-masculinity who can admit that that's what he is, and that what the world really needs is a more down-to-Earth kind of hero like Clark Kent.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Justice League re-branded Superman in a way that made his heroic elements more... front and center, shall we say?

I can't deny that Superman was a hero during Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice, and I'd never say that Zod or Luthor's crimes were Kal-El's fault even a little bit.

All of which said, he was also under a lot of pressure during both of those movies, which contributed to the pensive look on his face during the BvS saving-people montage, the expression that occasionally leads people to say foolish and inaccurate things like "he resents saving people". No, no he does not, but he does question whether he's really making a difference worth remarking on, and that contributes to his eventual decision to quit, another thing that people point to and say "he resents saving people", which again, no. Meanwhile, in Man of Steel, he's similarly apprehensive, unsure about what people will think of his powers, his alien heritage as his kinsmen invade, etc. He ultimately doesn't hesitate much in making all the right choices, but the apprehension's still there, replaced with confidence only midway through the story, and even then there's still this sense that Kal doesn't feel blameless in all of Zod's monstrous crimes. Only once he recovers from the shock of killing General Zod, in conflict with his own gentle nature, do we see a Superman who seems fully comfortable and confident, a confidence born out of his willingness to trust humanity. Moving on to Dawn, the first few scenes see humanity's trust for him and his trust for humanity mutually ripped away- and only in part by Luthor- so what we don't see a lot of is Kal at his most confident and comfortable.

What I'm saying is that Superman as we see him in Dawn of Justice and Man of Steel, Superman-Under-Pressure, is a character prone to being misread. When he comes back in Justice League, that pressure is gone, and he's confident and comfortable for the entire last third or so of the film.

It's a soft reboot in that it rebrands Superman's character to make his confidence more obvious, without actually changing that character in a way that discards what came before.

It's not just Superman, it rebrands Batman as well, changing him from a hot mess of toxic hyper-masculinity into a hot-mess of toxic hyper-masculinity who can admit that that's what he is, and that what the world really needs is a more down-to-Earth kind of hero like Clark Kent.
    So in other words have only a no worries version of Superman in your movies cause people can't handle a Superman who's actually pensive. It's akin to not having a nervous President address the nation. But where does that leave Clark Kent who's supposed to think about shit? He's a reporter after all. Guess It's back to tripping over shit so people don't get scared of the guy that can knock down buildings with a sneeze. I see now that Superman and Clark's various quirks were designed to put people at ease which is kinda sad in a way. I can see why he build a Fortress of Solitude, It's the only real place he can be himself and not just a clown in a costume whether It's a cape or a suit and tie.
    Last edited by Lokimaru; 01-24-2018 at 06:33 PM.

I am always excited to hear about more movies being produced. I just want them to have the good script that they deserve! I really like Henry in the role of Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I am always excited to hear about more movies being produced. I just want them to have the good script that they deserve! I really like Henry in the role of Superman.
    We could say that about any movie. I was excited to hear they were finally making a Catwoman movie and I wanted the Catwoman movie to be good but instead we got the Catwoman movie.