Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    So in other words have only a no worries version of Superman in your movies cause people can't handle a Superman who's actually pensive. It's akin to not having a nervous President address the nation. But where does that leave Clark Kent who's supposed to think about ****? He's a reporter after all. Guess It's back to tripping over **** so people don't get scared of the guy that can knock down buildings with a sneeze. I see now that Superman and Clark's various quirks were designed to put people at ease which is kinda sad in a way. I can see why he build a Fortress of Solitude, It's the only real place he can be himself and not just a clown in a costume whether It's a cape or a suit and tie.
    I've said this so many times... but the name of the game is nuance and balance. Narrative balance is needed, as contrasts in tones make the other tones pop better and stay more palatable to the audience. It's not that people can't handle pensive. It just can't be the main focus for two movies. If people don't see a balance of his confidence and optimism, they don't think they'll get it and tune out because it's too much of the same. That goes if it's all the other way, too.

The reason Superman in JL got such a positive response (shoddy mustache removal notwithstanding) is because they hadn't seen much of that in the last two movies. It's not because people "only" want that Superman or that they can't handle him ever being pensive. It's just that they need to see both in sufficient amounts, or see him building from pensive for active, that kind of thing.

The most ironically funny thing I've seen from WB was when two of the people from BvS were talking about balance of tone and how important that is.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I've said this so many times... but the name of the game is nuance and balance. Narrative balance is needed, as contrasts in tones make the other tones pop better and stay more palatable to the audience. It's not that people can't handle pensive. It just can't be the main focus for two movies. If people don't see a balance of his confidence and optimism, they don't think they'll get it and tune out because it's too much of the same. That goes if it's all the other way, too.

The reason Superman in JL got such a positive response (shoddy mustache removal notwithstanding) is because they hadn't seen much of that in the last two movies. It's not because people "only" want that Superman or that they can't handle him ever being pensive. It's just that they need to see both in sufficient amounts, or see him building from pensive for active, that kind of thing.

The most ironically funny thing I've seen from WB was when two of the people from BvS were talking about balance of tone and how important that is.
    Um, I'm Powerboy and I approve this message.

Exactly right. It's not at all that you can't have a movie where a significant part of the tone is that of MoS or B v S. It's just that it cannot be the tone of every scene in the movie or almost every one, not with most audiences.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I don't think they'll go down that route, it's too damn confusing.
    I don't either. Granted they could do a "Days of Future Past" but I seriously doubt it.

This critique doesn't really make sense. BvS already establishes that the world accepted Superman when they collectively mourned his self-sacrifice, and both BvS and Justice League make it pretty explicit that Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman aren't as in the spotlight nearly as much as Superman was. His personality change is a bit drastic, but a lot of the world doesn't hate him anymore.

His reaction to Zod's death is also perfectly reasonable, and he's never shown to be incompetent.
    I think part of the problem is that all of these changes are mostly skipped over and get about one scene. In other words, at the beginning of B v S, this divisive figure suddenly has a statue to him though it's clear a lot of people do not approve but somehow he's gone from extremely divisive to a citywide hero and we see none of the process.

In JL, again, the city is suddenly in chaos because he died. But he was divisive to begin with? Yes he stopped Doomsday and we see why people would have changed their minds about him. We can read some stuff into it but we never see the process. It's "poof" it just happened. And I can see reasons it would have happened but all of that part is skipped. That's why, in JL, that flashback of him talking to the kids was done, so we could actually experience in real time why people felt so much more positive about Superman.

In the previous movies, he saved people but he was so introspective and into his own issues which is fine but just saying or implying that he's this positive character isn't the same as showing some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I think part of the problem is that all of these changes are mostly skipped over and get about one scene. In other words, at the beginning of B v S, this divisive figure suddenly has a statue to him though it's clear a lot of people do not approve but somehow he's gone from extremely divisive to a citywide hero and we see none of the process.

In JL, again, the city is suddenly in chaos because he died. But he was divisive to begin with? Yes he stopped Doomsday and we see why people would have changed their minds about him. We can read some stuff into it but we never see the process. It's "poof" it just happened. And I can see reasons it would have happened but all of that part is skipped. That's why, in JL, that flashback of him talking to the kids was done, so we could actually experience in real time why people felt so much more positive about Superman.

In the previous movies, he saved people but he was so introspective and into his own issues which is fine but just saying or implying that he's this positive character isn't the same as showing some of it.
    This touches on a lot of what we've said, thought it was pretty interesting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paZtuMz75xc&t=39s
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

Again it's SOME people. Hell Some people don't want Abortion and are willing to kill Doctors to stop the process but not all people are willing to do that , also some people are for a woman's right to chose. There were just as many people happy about Superman being on earth as there were against him probably more. There were white people that marching right besides Dr. King in Alabama for civil rights. We never see the Rebellion travel to Hoth we just know that they are there at the start of Empire. You don't have to see change happen to know change has happened, there are signs if you are willing to look for them. We live in a world where like it or not Everybody picks sides. Drop Superman into that world and yeah people will be for or against him whether he did anything controversial or not but just from the fact he exists. Remember, He's an Alien. Hell the CDC alone would be up his ass (Literally) on a Daily basis if they could. That's Largely what these movies were about. WE the people reacting to Him. You just want a simple Comic Book Movie but that would gloss over and handwave so much stuff. That's ultimately why I believe people were dissatisfied with JL. Where was the Military in that Movie? Where was the Real World News Coverage like BvS and MoS had? Is Soledad O'brien still Alive after the capitol bombing?

BANNED

https://revengeofthefans.com/2018/01...perman-movies/

Happy to know a solo movie is definitely in the plans! And that they want to keep him alive in the minds of the general public until it happens - the cameo(s) could be cool!!

BANNED

DC: Hey guys, you know how well Tony Stark's cameo worked in Homecoming with a young kid aspiring to be a hero? Well...

Ah I'm just joshin', would tie in with the JL scene of him talking to the kid with the camera

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Banner View Post
    https://revengeofthefans.com/2018/01...perman-movies/

Happy to know a solo movie is definitely in the plans! And that they want to keep him alive in the minds of the general public until it happens - the cameo(s) could be cool!!
    Regarding the spoiler in the article...

spoilers:
    Not thrilled about seeing Superman in the Shazam movie. You're almost certain to see Dwayne Johnson kick him around a few times, and the sorry excuse that Superman is an underdog because MAGIC!!! That said, I guess after seeing him shine in JL, perhaps we can't complain too much. Then again, I thought he was lackluster in BvS and JL was a correction, so this would be undoing a correction. Oh well, too early to speculate.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

That semi spoiler sounds perfect imo.
    Last edited by Lightning Rider; 01-25-2018 at 04:53 PM.

I thought Black Adam wasn't going to be in Shazam?
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

It's good to know there looks to be SOME good news on the Superman movie front during his 80th year.
    Fingers crossed.
    This year is also the 40th anniversary of the Donner film. Don't be surprised if there is a panel or something at San Diego to celebrate 40 years of Superman in cinema that the big announcement for MOS 2 will be made there.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Again it's SOME people. Hell Some people don't want Abortion and are willing to kill Doctors to stop the process but not all people are willing to do that , also some people are for a woman's right to chose. There were just as many people happy about Superman being on earth as there were against him probably more. There were white people that marching right besides Dr. King in Alabama for civil rights. We never see the Rebellion travel to Hoth we just know that they are there at the start of Empire. You don't have to see change happen to know change has happened, there are signs if you are willing to look for them. We live in a world where like it or not Everybody picks sides. Drop Superman into that world and yeah people will be for or against him whether he did anything controversial or not but just from the fact he exists. Remember, He's an Alien. Hell the CDC alone would be up his ass (Literally) on a Daily basis if they could. That's Largely what these movies were about. WE the people reacting to Him. You just want a simple Comic Book Movie but that would gloss over and handwave so much stuff. That's ultimately why I believe people were dissatisfied with JL. Where was the Military in that Movie? Where was the Real World News Coverage like BvS and MoS had? Is Soledad O'brien still Alive after the capitol bombing?
    No. I want a movie that actually shows both sides rather than mostly showing one side and just mentioning the other which is what MoS and B v S did.

It may well be that the people who live in that world saw both sides but we the audience mostly just glimpsed the positive stuff.

And why the audience didn't go see JL in droves, why it got such bad word of mouth, is hard to say. Yet, those pesky Marvel movies that so many people insist JL was imitating are doing great so it can't be the jokes. It's likely more that people have certain expectations of superhero movies and the buildup just didn't lead to people believing JL was what they wanted to see.

I loved MoS or at least liked it a lot. B v S not so much. Almost anything about Superman in JL was forgiveable for the return of getting a positive Superman who comes out of himself and takes the time to chat with kids.

This critique doesn't really make sense. BvS already establishes that the world accepted Superman when they collectively mourned his self-sacrifice, and both BvS and Justice League make it pretty explicit that Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman aren't as in the spotlight nearly as much as Superman was. His personality change is a bit drastic, but a lot of the world doesn't hate him anymore.

His reaction to Zod's death is also perfectly reasonable, and he's never shown to be incompetent.
    Yeah, his supporters and friends went to mourn him. Doesn't change the fact that half the world still hates him and we are never shown them changing their minds, it just sort of happens. Yeah, he died killing Doomsday (in a very, very stupid manner, might I mention). He also helped save Earth from Zod in a way, yet he wasn't automatically hailed as the ultimate hero. He also wasn't nearly as much of an influential figure in the movies as he is in the comics and his death wouldn't have caused such a grand widespread depression all of a sudden. Wonder Woman, Flash and Aquaman are all pretty out in the open by the time of Justice League with Wonder Woman openly foiling criminals and terrorist attacks, so yes, it would be stupid to continue with Superman as a figure of controversy while ignoring everyone else.

His reaction wasn't reasonable. He should have absolutely zero reason to care about Zod, considering that the guy has been nothing but an ******* to him and everyone he cares about from the moment they met in addition to killing his biological father, he does not have any moral hangups about killing at this point and he doesn't care about Krypton either so potentially killing "the last kryptonian" shouldn't even register for him seeing as how he destroyed his race's only hope for coming back from near extinction only a few moments prior with the baby pods in the scout ship. Superman cried because Snyder and Goyer wanted a big "Superman makes a grand sacrifice" moment, not because it made logical sense and it ends up being important for all of thirty seconds before we cut to smiling Clark at the end of the film.

He was incompetent, though. He mostly just goes around brute-forcing everything and most of the thinking is done for him by others (he also spends 70% of the fights getting his ass kicked or when he's winning, something like a car dropping on his head or him getting hurt by a gatling gun or not dodging slow projectiles happens to even the balance. It was almost like Snyder delighted in having Superman thrown around, even if you could argue that Zod and company were trained soldiers, which still didn't stop them getting wrecked by Jor-El). If it wasn't for Jor-El, Lois and Colonel Whatshisface, Earth would be screwed. I'm not even talking about Batman v. Superman, where Superman is basically a plot device.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    If it wasn't for Jor-El, Lois and Colonel Whatshisface, Earth would be screwed.
    It's called team work. The point in MoS was that Superman is not the only hero in this world.