Thread: Suggestions?

Ms.Anonymous

Default Suggestions?

I had been a HUGE fan of the MCU for as long as I can remember, I've seen all the shows and all the movies over 100 times, and I know all the characters front to back. I've always had the means to dive in to the comics, but I never knew where to start. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Anonymous View Post
    I had been a HUGE fan of the MCU for as long as I can remember, I've seen all the shows and all the movies over 100 times, and I know all the characters front to back. I've always had the means to dive in to the comics, but I never knew where to start. Any suggestions?
    It's tough wanting to dive in in that mindset. (I've been there.) I would choose a couple of your favorite characters first and go from there. You could also read into some of the events MCU did that were comic books first: Civil War, Age of Ultron, Winter Soldier....
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Pick a character you really enjoyed from the films and just buy a trade regarding that character. Any trade. Don't worry so much about if you're going to "have enough information" since you can always go back and get that info either online or in your comic shop. Just give a shot and see how you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Anonymous View Post
    I like compilation books, you get the best (or almost) compilled in one book.
    Here's my selection:

The Very Best of Spider-Man
    • Amazin Fantasy #15 - first Siper-Man appearance
    • If this be my destiny... The Final Chapter - Amazing Spider-Man #33
    • Spider-Man no more - Amazing Spider-Man #50
    • The Kid Who Collects Spiderman - Amazing Spider-Man #248
    • Whatever Happened to Crusher Hogan? - Amazing Spider-Man #271
    • The Sand and the Fury - Amazing Spider-Man #317
    • Fathers and Sins - Amazing Spider-Man #365
    • The Osborn Legacy - Spectacular Spider-Man #189

Spider-Man: Wizard Masterpiece Edition
    • Nothing Stops the Juggernaut - Amazing Spider-Man #229-230
    • Hyde in Plain Sight (aka Hyde & Seek) - Amazing Spider-Man #231-232
    • The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man - Amazing Spider-Man #248
    • Venom Strikes Back - Amazing Spider-Man #315-317
    • The Death of Jean DeWolff - Spectacular Spider-Man #107-110

Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection: Kraven's Last Hunt
    • Man of the Year (The Iron Man of 2020 !) - Amazing Spider-Man Annual #20
    • Spider-Man vs. Wolverine / The Hobgoblin Revealed! / Mask - Spider-Man Versus Wolverine + Amazing Spider-Man #289-290 + Web of Spider-Man #29-30
    • The Big Question - Amazing Spider-Man #291-292
    • The Wedding - Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21 + Marvel Saga #22
    • Kraven's Last Hunt - Spectacular Spider-Man #131-132 + Amazing Spider-Man #293-294 + Web of Spider-Man #31-32

Spider-Man: Birth of Venom
    • Invasion! - Secret War #8
    • The Alien Costume Saga - Amazing Spider-Man #252-259
    • Venom - Amazing Spider-Man #298-300
    • Return of the Venom - Amazing Spider-Man #315-317
    • Truckstop of Doom! - Amazing Spider-Man Annual #25
    • Monster Mash: Part II - Fantastic Four #274
    • Til Death Do Us Part! - Web of Spider-Man #1

X-Men: Wizard Masterpiece Edition
    • Power of Proteus - Uncanny X-Men #126-128
    • The Dark Phoenix Saga - Uncanny X-Men #135-137
    • Days of Future Past - Uncanny X-Men #141-142
    • Demon - Uncanny X-Men #143
    • I, Magneto - Uncanny X-Men #150

Wolverine: Wizard Masterpiece Edition
    • Wendigo - Uncanny X-Men #139-140
    • Shattered Vows - Uncanny X-Men #172-173
    • Wolverine vs. The Hulk - Incredible Hulk #340
    • Madripoor Knights - Uncanny X-Men #268
    • Blood Bebt - Wolverine #150-153

Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale color collection
    • Daredevil: Yellow
    • Hulk: Grey
    • Spider-Man: Blue
    • Captain America: White

Then I would suggest some alone stories (collection as a single tpb):
    • Daredevil: The Man Without Fear (by Frank Miller)
    • Daredevil: Born Again
    • X-Men: God loves, Man Kills
    • Captain America: Captain America No More
    • Wolverine: Old Man Logan (by Mark Millar)

Have fun wilth all that to begin withs
    Last edited by jb681131; 01-22-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Hello and welcome, Ms.Anonymous!

If you want to dive into Marvel comics, one option I would really recommend to you is to obtain a Marvel Unlimited account: it will allow you to browse online tens of thousands of comics in the Marvel catalog from all eras - it's basically a "Netflix" of sorts for Marvel comics. It doesn't have all comics Marvel has ever produced (it is lacking some of the older stuff, but they are slowly filling these blank spots) and newer comics don't appear in the service until 6 months have passed since they were released to comic shops.

See more info here http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited & here http://marvel.com/help/category/8

Now, as for title suggestions, here are some:

- My all-time favorite, Scarlet Spider by Christopher Yost. A 2012 series where we follow a couple of very eccentric and fun characters (Kaine Parker and Aracely Penalba) in an almost self-contained story of violence, redemption and finding a place to call home. If you like, there is more info, character bios, opinions by others and minor spoilers about it in the thread linked in my signature.

- Superior Foes of Spider-man: a brilliant comedy of lesser-known Spider-man villains and their insane attempts to make money and be respected by others... and by themselves.

- Legion by Simon Spurrier. The ultra-powerful and ultra-crazy son of Professor X comes back to help mutantkind in a rambling-at-pigeons-in-a-park, psychedelia-filled, love-searching adventure with Blindfold (Ruth Aldine). No previous knowledge of anything X-men related required (it's way too crazy of a story for context to help anyway).

P.S. All of the series I have mentioned and most of the ones suggested by jb681131 a post above are up in Marvel Unlimited.
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 01-22-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Welcome to the hobby!

Marvel Unlimited is probably your best bet, as you can read tons of stuff for cheap.

Past that......

Take a look at Iron Man by Matt Fraction. His run on the character started around the time the first movie came out and borrows a lot from the film, so it'll feel more familiar to you than some other Iron Man material.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier by Brubaker is the story that the film of the same name was based on. You'll find that the film takes a whole lot of liberties, and doesn't really resemble the source material that closely, but it's still a damn fine Cap story worth reading.

If you're interested in the upcoming Captain Marvel film with Brie Larson, check out Captain Marvel by Kelly Sue DeConnick. She wrote two different volumes, and you should definitely start with the first. It begins with a time travel story that'll fill you in on Carol's origin. This book was a pretty big deal back in 2012.

I'll also recommend Jason Aaron's Thor run. He's been on the character for a while now, and his run has stretched across a few different volumes, but it starts with Thor: God of Thunder. This is a different kind of Thor than you've seen in the movies, but its quality.

And while she's a character you've never seen in film, try Ms. Marvel by G. Wilson. I think the character has been in some cartoons lately, so if you watch those and have seen a Pakistani American teenage girl with stretchy powers, that's her. Arguably the most consistent, quality book Marvel has published in a long time and still going strong.

Oh, also, anything by writer Al Ewing. I myself am partial to his Loki: Agent of Asgard series but his Mighty Avengers and Ultimates (1 and 2) are excellent.....basically anything he writes is great.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.