Thread: Waid's Hulk

All-New Member

Default Waid's Hulk

I was not a fan of Waid's first Hulk run! The Hulk in armor....really? But that's history and having read the first 2 issues of Waid's new Hulk run....I'm hooked. The story is great with the mystery of who shot Banner. The head shot leaves Banner with Drain Bamage and the brain of a little kid. What got me was in issue 2 when the new monstrous Abomiination with no conscious attack the Hulk. Action pursues in Ole Marvel Manner! If the first series turned you off try the new series! Nuff said!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I agree that the Hulk being in armour for the Indestructible series was......daft to say the least despite the reason for it. I did like the stories that Waid told in the series. Not so keen on the art work.

The Hulk series so far has been good and I've enjoyed the art work by Bagley more than I did in the Indestructible series so far so yes so far I agree with you that it's better.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Not so keen on the art work.

The Hulk series so far has been good and I've enjoyed the art work by Bagley more than I did in the Indestructible series so far so yes so far I agree with you that it's better.
    I agree with you on the art in the first Waid series...maybe I let that bad art affect my judgement on Waid's stories. But I like Bagley's art... One of my favorite Spidey Artists.

I like the art better in Hulk than I did in Indestructible so that was great, and no armored Hulk thank god. I was a fan of Waid's writing in Indestructible so I am definitely interested to see what he will bring to this relaunch.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I'm... not a fan of both. It's simply not Waid usually quality
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

BANNED

I'll just patiently wait for the upcoming Savage Hulk series. I know those writers actually care more about the Hulk than Banner. Jim Starlin? Yes, please!

The armor wasn't really for Hulk, though. It was for Banner, but stuck with him when he changed and could accompany the size change.

I, for one, have loved the series. I think Waid told us more about Banner than many previous writers, and got at some great questions about the character. And the team-up with Thor drawn by Walt Simonson was really, really fun. I really like Banner's interest in working with his Hulk side to get things done, and it was a cool approach.

I liked Indestructible better than the first two issues of the new run, but I'm still eager to see where this is going.

That Recording Observation Robot (ROB) was seen in a lot of Marvel NOW promo art. Thought it was going to be a major part, but seems he's been discarded

BANNED

I like Waids Hulk, but it's been a while now with him writing Hulk himself rather vaguely...I'm not sure how smart his Hulk's supposed to be.

Fantastic Member

I'm thinking Waid needed the renumbering. Nothing with Indestructible seemed to go the way he wanted it to. Banner's science team never caught on. If there was a reason for the armor? OK. But it never seemed to materialize. It was just there, hanging around like an unused Chekov's Gun. The art was completely inconsistent. In the first couple issues, Mark seemed to feel the need to retell the whole "Hulk destroys, Banner builds" story again and again and again. Every once in a while it seemed like it was starting to find a direction, but it felt like too little, too late.

Now the renumbering. Bagley's pencils look better than they have in forever. I think a lot of that is Jason Keith's colors. Mark still has the high concept thing going on with brain damaged Banner, but it flows better. Tons of action. Return of Abomination. Secret baddies, who I think might be the Pantheon, or at least Atalanna. This is the Mark Waid who should have been writing Hulk all along, the guy who has been kicking ass on Daredevil and the occasional Spider-Man.