View Poll Results: Which characters does DC need to focus on more?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • The ATOM

13 29.55%
  • BLACK CANARY

20 45.45%
  • The ELONGATED MAN

9 20.45%
  • FIRESTORM

11 25.00%
  • HAWKMAN

14 31.82%
  • HAWKGIRL

12 27.27%
  • The MARTIAN MANHUNTER

15 34.09%
  • The PHANTOM STRANGER

7 15.91%
  • RED TORNADO

5 11.36%
  • ZATANNA

17 38.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Early JLA Members Should DC Focus More On?

All these characters were members of the JLA during the Silver & Bronze Ages and none of them currently have their own titles, and can't seem to carry one for very long. An argument could be made that they're all (or at least most of them are) important enough to DC history to get more focus. Most of them have even been on television. Who do you think DC should build up, focus on, bring back to the forefront? Vote for as many as you like.
    Last edited by Air Wave; 01-23-2018 at 08:46 AM.

I voted for Hawkman. He's the oldest of these characters even alternated covers of Flash Comics all through the Golden Age. It's a shame DC can't figure out what to do with him.

Voted for a few.

Canary. I mean, she's had a solid presence in DC for ages. She's got ties to the JSA, the JLA, Gotham, Arrow.....the list goes on. She's got a great, standout visual and powerset. She's in at least three different books at the moment. She's in Arrow, a version is in Legends, she's in Injustice 2......she's ready for a big push.

Firestorm. Martin Stein and the boys need a rebirth in the worst way, but this IP is dripping with potential. With a fresh vision and a little TLC, Firestorm could be big.

Hawkgirl. Alien space cop. Reincarnated Egyptian queen. A star-crossed love affair that ends in pain and tragedy and death.....what's not to love? And nothing against Carter, but I feel like Shayera has more to work with than he does.

Zatanna. Grant Morrison already laid out a great approach to Zee with his Seven Soldiers. She's got pathos, history, fun powers, and, like Dinah, everyone loves fishnets.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ray Palmer he constantly gets tossed on the back burner for no good reason. He is a wonderful character and deserves to be a part of the DCU in a larger role.

BANNED

Someone who isn't white or male

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Ray Palmer he constantly gets tossed on the back burner for no good reason. He is a wonderful character and deserves to be a part of the DCU in a larger role.
    You know, I would love to get another truly weird, wild Atom series. Some of that crazy stuff Ray was getting up to with the microverse alien princess he was going to marry (or whatever the hell it was) and the sword, and Ryan Choi's book was off the wall too in the best possible way (at least at first). Something like Atom meets Black Science? I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. But Ryan should get his due too; that dude is awesome in his own right.

Slight tangent here, but I'm loving Atom in Injustice. Choi's dialogue is enjoyable, the moveset is quick and entertaining, the plot hints of Choi looking for Ray...and how you can not love a guy who stops in the middle of a fight to take notes?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You know, I would love to get another truly weird, wild Atom series. Some of that crazy stuff Ray was getting up to with the microverse alien princess he was going to marry (or whatever the hell it was) and the sword, and Ryan Choi's book was off the wall too in the best possible way (at least at first). Something like Atom meets Black Science? I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. But Ryan should get his due too; that dude is awesome in his own right.

Slight tangent here, but I'm loving Atom in Injustice. Choi's dialogue is enjoyable, the moveset is quick and entertaining, the plot hints of Choi looking for Ray...and how you can not love a guy who stops in the middle of a fight to take notes?
    I have never understood why there can’t be two atoms. There are six earth Green Lanterns, several flashes, countless people tied to the bat, yet we can’t have two atoms?
    It would be awesome to have Ray and Ryan in their own book defending Ivy Town and going on crazy scientific adventures! Plus both fan bases would be happy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    I have never understood why there can’t be two atoms. There are six earth Green Lanterns, several flashes, countless people tied to the bat, yet we can’t have two atoms?
    It would be awesome to have Ray and Ryan in their own book defending Ivy Town and going on crazy scientific adventures! Plus both fan bases would be happy.
    Btw. was there any interaction between the "Earth 1 Atom Family" (Ray, Rayn) and the "Earth 2 Atom Family" (Al Pratt, Atom Smasher and Damage)

Astonishing Member

Definitely Triumph. Folks always act like he doesn't exist. :P

But of the list...

I think Zatanna's easily the one who could take off if DC gave the effort but they always want her to be used by folks like Dini who pigeonhole her stories. I know Dini loves her and he's part of the reason she received focus at all at times. But his last Zatanna run was boring.

You have a whole magical universe to have her interact with and they seem to always just want us to have her appear as the stage magician for huge bits in her story. There's a reason we don't see Clark writing his articles or Bruce doing his hours of chemistry. We get it, her jobs a Stage Magician. But we know she has real magic whatever she does on stage will not be very interesting.

Replace Phantom Stranger with Green Arrow and make them a Justice League team.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Btw. was there any interaction between the "Earth 1 Atom Family" (Ray, Rayn) and the "Earth 2 Atom Family" (Al Pratt, Atom Smasher and Damage)
    I think there was a JSA story during Johns run, that had Ray take on Atom Smasher. I forgot what happened that made Atom Smasher start taking on the JSA, but Ray shrunk down and went inside his head to mess with his equilibrium.

Incredible Member

I voted for The Atom Ray Palmer.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Hawkman - Fingers crossed they can go more than a year or two before they f&*k him up again...

Martian Manhunter - Ditto.

Black Canary
    - The New 52 series had some decent BC moments (when she wasn't pining for her crazy dead husband), but didn't last long after Swyrzienski (sp?) left. Rebirth Dinah is a step in the right direction... but so far she still seems off. Neither Orlando or Percy have captured her voice. The less said about that horrific DCYou/rock band book, the better.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I've recently come to the conclusion that you could really tell a lot of rad stories with The Atom/Ray Palmer.

Incredible Member

I wish hawkman was an earth archeologist who fell in love with a thanagaran police woman......