Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Golden Age Dr. Mid-Nite (Charles McNider) appreciation thread

(from All-American Comics #24, cover-dated March 1941)

The original Dr. Mid-Nite (note the spelling) first appeared as a feature in All-American Comics #25 (April 1941), a book that already was home to such features as
    * Green Lantern (Alan Scott)
    * The Atom (Al Pratt)
    * Scribbly and the Red Tornado (Ma Hunkle)
    * Hop Harrigan
    NOTE: both Scribbly and Hop Harrigan had been features in the book since back in issue #1, cover-dated April 1939

He was a character who was blinded, but then gained special vision abilities as a result. (Mind you, this was more than twenty years before Marvel's Matt Murdock saw the light of day, but almost two years after District Attorney Anthony Quinn (The Black Bat) had been blinded and later gained the ability to see at night in the pulp magazine Black Book Detective.)

From Dr. McNider's origin story:

to be continued . . .

continuing the origin story for Golden Age Dr. Mid-Nite:

and at one point, McNider discovers his unique abilities in a Bruce Wayne-like moment:

And when "Killer" Maroni continues to cause misery with his criminal activities, McNider decides to take action . . . becoming Dr. Mid Nite!

The Dr. Mid-Nite feature appeared in All-American Comics until the end of its run (issue #102, cover-dated October 1948); the book then changed its title to All-American Western starting with issue #103.
    Dr. Mid-Nite still continued to appear as a member of the Justice Society of America after then until All Star Comics #57 (February-March 1951), which appears to be his last Golden Age appearance.

First got to know him thanks to Roy Thomas' fantastic ALL-STAR SQUADRON. I liked his look and his abilities, both medical and super-powered.

By the way, Charles McNider's origin story was "more recently" told (adapted by Roy Thomas and Mike Clark) in Secret Origins#20 (November 1987) and was included in 2017's Last Days of the Justice Society of America collected edition.

Within less than a year of being introduced, Dr. Mid-Nite became a member of the Justice Society of America, replacing Green Lantern (who became an "honorary member" since he had been given his own quarterly solo book).

Dr. Mid-Nite would remain a member of the team (even after Green Lantern went back to being a regular member) through the remainder of the group's Golden Age-run.

During the Silver Age, Dr. Mid-Nite returned as a member of the JSA (not counting flashback scenes) in The Flash #137 (June1963).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    . . . Dr. Mid-Nite would remain a member of the team (even after Green Lantern went back to being a regular member) through the remainder of the group's Golden Age-run.
    The last published adventure of the JSA during the Golden Age was in All Star Comics #57, cover-dated February-March 1951.

Many (many!) years later, it was revealed Dr. Mid-Nite was also present for JSA's last actual early 1950s assemblage (as first told in Adventure Comics #466 in 1979.)

I wish they did more with him in legends and hopefully Rebirth does something with him.

Once I suggested that he would be a good choice to be Diana's dad if you wanted to give her a human dad in the WW section.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I wish they did more with him in legends and hopefully Rebirth does something with him.
    I think part of the problem with Dr. Mid-Nite not receiving as much attention as other Golden Age heroes is a combination of things. His powers/abilities, while interesting, aren't as spectacular or as flashy as many others. Plus, he was more of a second-tier character in that he wasn't introduced until 1941 (while many of the ones who people tend to put more focus on as "legendary" were from 1940 and earlier) who never rose beyond being a feature in a comic book with several other characters featured. He never was the spotlighted character on the cover of All-American Comics; Green Lantern held that position during most of Dr. Mid-Nite's time in that book, and then the Western Johnny Thunder was the cover feature for Dr. Mid-Nite's last few issues. And while Dr. Mid-Nite was a member of the JSA, he wasn't one of the original members. He also didn't rate a "legacy" character using his name on Earth-One during the Silver or Bronze Age.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 02-16-2018 at 08:41 AM.

As drawn by George Pérez (inks by Karl Kesel) for History of the DC Universe Book One (1986)

Even though I never really considered the nu52 Earth 2 society the “real” JSA, I don’t recall Charles apoearing there. We haven’t seen a Dr. Midnite since 2010, or Charles himself since the 90’s Zero Hour. He’s due for a revival or something!

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Even though I never really considered the nu52 Earth 2 society the “real” JSA, I don’t recall Charles apoearing there. We haven’t seen a Dr. Midnite since 2010, or Charles himself since the 90’s Zero Hour. He’s due for a revival or something!
    He was in some JSA stories set in the past.

originally from DC Comics Presents #29 (Jan. 1981)

(to be continued . . . )
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 12-02-2018 at 07:46 PM. Reason: replaced image that apparently no longer linked

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    First got to know him thanks to Roy Thomas' fantastic ALL-STAR SQUADRON. I liked his look and his abilities, both medical and super-powered.

Same for me. That series hit a really sweet spot in my pre-teen/teen years. I was a massive fan. I liked Roy's use of the less well-known members of the golden age.

from Who's Who Vol. VI (August 1985):

from All-Star Squadron #48 (August 1985):