Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 91 to 102 of 102
  1. #91
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Yeah, it does matter. Ever heard of colorism? More oftwn than not, we get depictions of POC that are always close to Eurocentric standards of beauty, whether that is being lighter in skin tone, pencil-thin noses, straight hair, etc etc. But even if that wasn't the case, you can be a white Mexican.

    And Julio has never, ever, been drawn as white. His skin has always been darker, just not explicitly 'black,' because he is a Latino man. He is a Latino man that was born in Mexico, which means that he's a person of color. He could be drawn as significantly lighter than he often is, and significantly darker. Even in the art that you have linked, he does not look white.





    It feels very wrong to act like Julio is white when he's definitely not. Is Latino erasure a thing? Sure feels like it here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    This is kind of a messy debate that I don't feel like can have a really correct answer. I'm not exactly sure if that extends to every country, but the idea of "latino" as an race is not really a thing in a south american country like Brazil, for example. Sunspot is just black. Well, the movie version, white.
    I will agree with this because what defines a race seems to do with cultures and locations. What is a race in the US is different than somewhere else. For all intents and purposes I would consider Sunspot black, or biracial, because he's not racially Latinx.

    "I'll always love you, Jean Grey." "I'll always love you too, Scott Summers." - Scott Summers and Jean Grey

  2. #92
    Astonishing Member Silver Fang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    And Julio has never, ever, been drawn as white. His skin has always been darker, just not explicitly 'black,' because he is a Latino man. He is a Latino man that was born in Mexico, which means that he's a person of color. He could be drawn as significantly lighter than he often is, and significantly darker. Even in the art that you have linked, he does not look white.





    It feels very wrong to act like Julio is white when he's definitely not. Is Latino erasure a thing? Sure feels like it here.

    I will agree with this because what defines a race seems to do with cultures and locations. What is a race in the US is different than somewhere else.
    It's not. But Latino isn't a race. It's an ethnicity that includes a range of races and languages. There's white, black and mixed Latino people.

    It's like Arab. Many confuse that for a race. it's not. It's a broad mixture of people. They're separated into Black Arabs and White Arabs for the most part. I have heard some people of Arab descent say that they don't classify themselves as one race -because they aren't.

    Far as the pix of Julio. He looks like a white man with a more tan complexion. Since even white people come in different shades.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-25-2018 at 02:47 PM.

  3. #93
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    It's not. But Latino isn't a race. It's an ethnicity that includes a range of races and languages. There's white, black and mixed Latino people.
    You're mixing up 'Latinx' and 'Hispanic.' Hispanic is the ethnicity, which basically encompasses everyone who speaks Spanish as their first language. Latinx is the race.

    "I'll always love you, Jean Grey." "I'll always love you too, Scott Summers." - Scott Summers and Jean Grey

  4. #94
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,500

    Default

    Wiccan is right. Messi, Pope Francis and Ginobili from San Antonio Spurs are pretty average Argentines. On the internet I've seen some Americans argue they are Italians and not Hispanics.
    Race doesn't work all over the world like in the USA. In Latin America there is no one drop rule.

    Even who is white changes depending on the country.

    I agree on Sunspot being half black and that fact being a big part of his story. His powers awoke when he was racially taunted in a soccer match

  5. #95
    Astonishing Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Mostly. Karma is the head of the operation & Dani, per Rosenberg, is set to appear in the mini.

    But if you're looking for some melanin, 'fraid this ain't the place.
    If Karma is supposed to have an important role then maybe they should put her on the covers and promotional images instead of sticking her in the back office

  6. #96
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    If Karma is supposed to have an important role then maybe they should put her on the covers and promotional images instead of sticking her in the back office
    Professor X wasn't on the cover of X-Men #1.

  7. #97
    Astonishing Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackandal View Post
    Professor X wasn't on the cover of X-Men #1.
    Professor Xavier was a creep who was perving on a teenage girl. Is that really a comparison you want to make?

  8. #98
    Mighty Member Dante Milton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Yeah, it does matter. Ever heard of colorism?
    Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Too bad he's white passing.
    This is kind of ironic to me because your comment here is an example of colorism. Biracial and multi-racial people exist and some of them have light skin and are white passing, that doesn't erase their racial identity.

    About Rictor, although I don't think it's ever been definitively stated I think it's safe to assume that he, like the vast majority of Mexican people, identifies as Mestizo.

  9. #99
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    Red, blue, gold
    Astonishing
    New mutants
    Domino
    Exiles

    ...wow that’s a great month! Anyone know if Exiles will continue to ship twice monthly?
    It's just for launch month.

  10. #100
    Astonishing Member Nick Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    Wiccan is right. Messi, Pope Francis and Ginobili from San Antonio Spurs are pretty average Argentines. On the internet I've seen some Americans argue they are Italians and not Hispanics.
    Race doesn't work all over the world like in the USA. In Latin America there is no one drop rule.

    Even who is white changes depending on the country.

    I agree on Sunspot being half black and that fact being a big part of his story. His powers awoke when he was racially taunted in a soccer match
    Well, if they are of Italian descent.......

    Hispanics are descendants from Spain.

    Just like the USA, many different people immigrated to Argentina. Germans, Croats. Would you say they are Hispanic?

  11. #101
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    6,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Professor Xavier was a creep who was perving on a teenage girl. Is that really a comparison you want to make?
    We also wasn't on the cover of Astonishing X-men 1.
    He is more important than any character of this book.

  12. #102
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    20,374

    Default

    To be fair, it would've been a spoiler in AXM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •