View Poll Results: How many stars would you give this issue?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • ☆☆☆☆☆

1 4.00%
  • ☆☆☆☆

9 36.00%
  • ☆☆☆

4 16.00%
  • ☆☆

10 40.00%
  • 1 4.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #39 (Spoilers)

Here's the gist:

• Wonder Woman battles Silver Swan with some standard mediocre dialogue. Silver Swan comes off as a poor man's Cheetah who feels betrayed by Diana. Diana states that the nanites are responsible for Vanessa's "corruption," so the Doctor Psycho theory is probably out.

• Meanwhile, Darkseid is searching for some artifacts to restore his power. He only trusts the Female Furies at this point, so he sends them to gather them. Steve and the Oddfellows, however, are guarding them. I have to say, I don't think Steve and the others will be able to really do anything against the Furies, but after the recent Superman arc where they were defeated singlehandedly by Lois Lane, who knows. Interestingly Bernadeth (who was absent from the Superman arc) and Gilotina (first New 52/Rebirth appearance) were present with Lashina, Stompa, and Mad Harriet.

• Jason sees Diana battling Silver Swan on the news and of course joins in the battle to save her. He uses a tornado-ish ability in attempt to disorient Vanessa, but she is perfectly fine perched like a bird. Ultimately, Silver Swan cuts Jason's throat, then Diana cuts Vanessa's wing and an explosion sends all three plummeting to the ground unconscious in a cliffhanger.

My thoughts:

The art, as with last issue, is the highlight. Some pretty cool battle shots between Wonder Woman and Silver Swan (whose costume is growing on me). But no development whatsoever for any character... Vanessa is still completely one-note as a villain and a character, which is such a shame.

Love the use of the Female Furies. It's no secret I'm a Fury superfan. I just hope they don't get treated as poorly as they did in Superman. It's already elevating their status since Darkseid refuses to trust anyone but them and the Deep Six so far, over his normal elite like Kalibak, Desaad, etc. And Stompa's back to being a big gal! Beyond them, it is aggravating that we're back to the Darkseid storyline already. It's very clear that he's the primary focus of Robinson's run and that's just... blah.

Jason.... oh, Jason. He's just the worst.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I'm not convinced the Dr Psycho theory is out. Wasn't the theory that he created the nanites?
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I'm interested in seeing the Furies too Nyssane...and hoping they have a better showing than in Superman. (No offense to Lois, but C'MON.) Glad to hear there are more of them showing up than just Lashina, Mad Harriet, and Stompa.

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    I'm not convinced the Dr Psycho theory is out. Wasn't the theory that he created the nanites?
    The theory is that he's the doctor who introduced the treatment to her. The doctor that Vanessa described as having "big ears and a nice smile". So yeah, this issue does nothing to take that out of the potential equation. The last issue always hinted that it was the nanites doing this. It was just who turned her on to it in the first place that has been theorized to be Psycho.

I'm interested in seeing the Furies too Nyssane...and hoping they have a better showing than in Superman. (No offense to Lois, but C'MON.) Glad to hear there are more of them showing up than just Lashina, Mad Harriet, and Stompa.
    Its definitely no offense to Lois. Not at all a contradiction to love a good Lois portrayal and to note at the same time that her beating the Furies was patently stupid.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ha, Jason just got necked!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Incredible Member

It's not the worst, but it's not great. Unless it's spectacularly drawn and choreographed, like Orion #5 by Walt Simonson, I'm not usually a fan of a comic that is, essentially, one long fight scene. Yes, we get a two-page breather with the Grail-Darkseid conversation in which he says a bunch of gobbledy-gook that only amounts to "I need four more artifacts, y'all!," and two pages of the Furies boom-tubing to Istanbul where ARGUS is defending one of said-four artifacts, but seriously - what do we learn from the fight, other than that Vanessa is more powerful than one'd expect? Nothing. Four pages other pages to learn that Darkseid needs four artifacts and the Furies are on the trail. Honestly, the real problem, aside from the little progress being made, is that it's boring.

Curiously, I think the only real progress here is the one page of Jason talking himself into realizing he's been an irresponsible butt-head. But that's only incremental.

Robinson has done some amazing work in the past, like Starman & The Golden Age, amongst the dreck, like Justice League: Cry for Justice. I really wish he'd brought his A-game to Wonder Woman.

Spectacular Member

Lol Jason was dressed up like he was going to a job interview.

Seems like getting necked is a WW family tradition.

Always Rakzo

Pure transition issue where very little happens and I felt like the Darkseid segment was out of place.

Not sure what to expect next. Good art though.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Glad to hear Bernadeth and Gilotina are around. I'd rather have all 5 of Kirby's named Female Furies around instead of them always focusing on the three that made it into S:TAS.

Though once again, I have to wonder why Grail was even invented when we have the Furies. They already have 5 badass female villains in service of Darkseid, never mind all of his other minions, who could have fought and killed the demigods to give him the energy. What is she doing that they (or Kalibak, or Kanto, or Mantis, or...) couldn't have done?

Look up in the sky! It's WONDERSTORM...then, SNIKKT!!!

What #38 lacked in quality of dialogue, it more than made up for in plot, James Robinson's strong suit, ..and action.

There's more to applaud, here. Diana was Wonder Woman in this issue, ..and not an Amazon princess, who happens to be Wonder Woman - no she was Wonder Woman! Loved that Jason was daring, but, not an omnipotent superhero - not a swaggering jerk, who disdained to follow his sister's lead, ..even though following her lead got his throat cut. Silver Swan was freaking LOCO and shown to be as much of a credible, palpable threat and physical foil for Wonder Woman, as the pre-Crisis original. This actually read like a comic - more than that, it felt like reading a Marvel comic...yay! I was beginning to think this new generation of writers had forgotten how to do that. It was refreshingly simplistic, sprinkled with intriguing subplot and never slowed down - non-stop action...

And the ART was great!

It looks like Mr. Robinson will not be going the 'Captain Wonder' route, with Jason, and I'm grateful that he doesn't appear to have changed his mind about that. I like that Wonder Woman's brother is a wind elemental and NOT a male Troia. I wanted Jason to be a Huntress to Diana's Batman, and that might be what James is giving us.

For the first time in a very long time, with any WW comic, I can truthfully say ..I got my money's worth, with #38.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-24-2018 at 06:20 PM.

So Silver Swan gets to be the personal villain who kills Diana's brother? its okay I guess.

Spectacular Member

In phil's run, diana cried in the end of that issue which she first conflict vanessa's ss.
    Unfortunately I cannot see anything sadness in this time and diana also doesn't have any feeling about the death of julia.
    How can it possible.
    Did robinson really know the history between diana and kapatelis?

Darkseid send the furies to collect artifacts, a little bit like what circe did in War of the gods hahaha

....and more with the sowrd.... she could have subdued her with the lasso--- and the Lasso would have shown Vanessa the truth through her madness... but no... swordy sword sword'n it up-- which proved to be useless ...

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    See, I love the Furies but I have the opposite thought.

Lois Lane is a better warrior than Steve Trevor and several trained international soldiers?

No, sorry - Oddfellows *need* to kick some tail or they'll end up right down there with 'Catwoman beat Cheetah' and 'Batman beat Circe.'

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    See, I love the Furies but I have the opposite thought.

Lois Lane is a better warrior than Steve Trevor and several trained international soldiers?

No, sorry - Oddfellows *need* to kick some tail or they'll end up right down there with 'Catwoman beat Cheetah' and 'Batman beat Circe.'
    I think it's more a "let's ignore this and pretend it never happened" rather than "let's expand upon this by having the Furies chump'd even more."