Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Default Doomsday Clock #3 :The game is a foot

The pieces are coming together for this mystery to lead into a great series with subtle clues & to quote the late Tony Randall " I love a mystery"
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Fantastic Member

Like Batman with Kovacs' journal, I took my time reading this issue. The events we see are mainly straightforward but the implications are elusive in many cases. But there are some subtle ones that fit together and I think we can see, in a lot of cases, where the story is going. My analysis:

http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2018/01/d...y-clock-3.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rikdad View Post
    Like Batman with Kovacs' journal, I took my time reading this issue. The events we see are mainly straightforward but the implications are elusive in many cases. But there are some subtle ones that fit together and I think we can see, in a lot of cases, where the story is going. My analysis:

Another great breakdown. Thanks for the shoutout!

Extraordinary Member

Mime and Marionette are indeed worthy additions to the Watchmen (and DC) mythos. I love these characters already.

Talking about Mime and Marionette and the questionable
    spoilers:

situation about both characters having powers or at least Mime
    end of spoilers
    We are not so sure about it. There was an element which it was never touched in Watchmen and it was
    spoilers:

The development of the technological development in weapons. We knew than the existence of Dr. Manhattan altered the economic industry making the electric cars more chap to made and tha has to change the political landscape because oil is not now a resource to fight over. But what was never exposed is how the existence iof Dr. Manhattan affected the war industries. Differents kind of weapons? Electric rifles? Invisible guns?
    end of spoilers
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Spectacular Member

I agree, when I read it initially I didn’t pick up on some of the subtle beats straight away until reading it again earlier today, and read your analysis too great stuff really good breakdown.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Rikdad's notes have become an indispensable companion for getting the most out of DOOMSDAY CLOCK.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Mime and Marionette are indeed worthy additions to the Watchmen (and DC) mythos. I love these characters already.
    I am really liking them. The Mime not speaking just makes him seem that much more menacing.

Thank you for this fascinating and detailed analysis. Just one comment: Frank Drake and Rachel van Helsing are Marvel characters. So maybe the reference is just an odd Easter egg, or this Frank Drake is an entirely different character.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Are Johns and Frank hinting at what I think they're hinting at with Mime's and Marionette's baby?
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Thank you for this fascinating and detailed analysis. Just one comment: Frank Drake and Rachel van Helsing are Marvel characters. So maybe the reference is just an odd Easter egg, or this Frank Drake is an entirely different character.
    Whoops, thanks! Significant fact!

Great read.Anyone think with the appearance of Manhattan that the gun industry also leaped ahead like everything else did in the Watchmen universe it would explain Mime's tools.
    "If you look up at me you will see a friend. If you look down at me you will see an enemy. But if you look me square in the eye you will see a God."-Bray Wyatt

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Another great breakdown. Thanks for the shoutout!
    Thanks, and great catch the first time around. Now that we have four references to the same scene, there's no doubt it's very important.

I'll give Watchmen a complete re-read before the next installment of Doomsday Clock. Johns is definitely referencing things of minor notoriety, and I expect that to continue over the next nine issues.

i love Mine and Marionette. I just wonder if Johns made her resemble Harley Quinn on purpose. He could have easily made her a brunette and it would have differentiated them a bit. It will indeed make their eventual interaction quite interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mike627 View Post
    Great read.Anyone think with the appearance of Manhattan that the gun industry also leaped ahead like everything else did in the Watchmen universe it would explain Mime's tools.
    yeah, that's what i was thinking. Maybe it's an advanced alloy that Manhattan and/or Veidt invented.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

That is a great analysis. I now wonder could Dr. Manhattan have been assuming another identity during the J.S.A. time period as a forgotten,or obscure ,or as a person with links to the J.S.A. that may not be remembered.Not sure how FlashPoint,Rebirth, and the button all coincides. I suppose Dr. Manhattan can insert himself in any timeline so time is like reading a comic to him so he can influence things within different dimensions( D.C. publishing periods Silver,Gold,Pre-crisis,post-crisis,Zerohour,Flashpoint,Rebirth- on forward.

Hollis T Mason backstory shows the depth of the Watchmen universe even though it seems small.Great eye-opener