Page 68 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1148

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    In a book of like 20+ characters in an arc that went on for 10 issues? More than that

I can't even remember anything that Jubilee or Storm did. And Bishop had like one good scene.
    storm did have the end where she tries to cook a man, which later became the two storms crisis of 2019
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    In a book of like 20+ characters in an arc that went on for 10 issues? More than that

I can't even remember anything that Jubilee or Storm did. And Bishop had like one good scene.
    Didn't answer my question. How many POC characters exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Didn't answer my question. How many POC characters exactly?
    Fine, in a 20+ character book? Give me at least 10

needs more POCs being leaders

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I'm reminded of someone who made an interesting point regarding 2002's X-Statix, who were these mutants that were made to be more like media celebrities than anything else. It struck me with the conscious realization that, yes, while there's racism and other forms of superiority-fueled hateful oppression in the world, at the same time, there are black people that managed to become successful celebrities and popularly received by and large, whether they be actors like Samuel L. Jackson, athletes like LeBron James, or musicians like Jay Z. Just as there can be a benefit in showing that mutants can be a parallel to minorities getting oppressed, at the same time, I think there can be also a benefit in reinforcing the idea that it's possible for a minority person to gain success and acceptance, and that they're not guaranteed to forever suffer.
    That's a good point, although in a lot of cases, at least in the past, their continued commercial and professional success and the acceptance that garnered from the dominant culture was contingent and conditional on them not offending too many members of said dominant culture by daring to call out inequities in the social structure that kept members of their community at a comparative economic, political, and even cultural disadvantage compared to members of the dominant group. To apply the metaphor to mutants, sure, they could be beloved heroes and/or celebrities, but only as long as they didn't remind humans about them being mutants by calling out anti-mutant discrimination and bias in human society and by human authorities in the government or law enforcement. Otherwise . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    needs more POCs being leaders
    No you need more who will contribute to a story by being something than background, death, cameo, bed room fantasy & ABC afterschool special story fodder.

We got enough of that going on.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    No you need more who will contribute to a story by being something than background, death, cameo, bed room fantasy & ABC afterschool special story fodder.

Um, I will take BOTH as suggestions.

Mighty Member

Damn you summed up about all representations. I would add they also function as the supporting best friend who co signs or the plot device to fix things magically.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's a good point, although in a lot of cases, at least in the past, their continued commercial and professional success and the acceptance that garnered from the dominant culture was contingent and conditional on them not offending too many members of said dominant culture by daring to call out inequities in the social structure that kept members of their community at a comparative economic, political, and even cultural disadvantage compared to members of the dominant group. To apply the metaphor to mutants, sure, they could be beloved heroes and/or celebrities, but only as long as they didn't remind humans about them being mutants by calling out anti-mutant discrimination and bias in human society and by human authorities in the government or law enforcement. Otherwise . . .
    And that's an interesting point I'm sure writers could touch on should any of them decide to have mutant celebrities in the future, and make for good stories with good characters to tell as well.

And that's an interesting point I'm sure writers could touch on should any of them decide to have mutant celebrities in the future, and make for good stories with good characters to tell as well.
    Oh, definitely. Also, skyvolt2000 just summed up the issue with how people of color in comics are all too often treated, even in a series that's such a visible and otherwise potent metaphor for various minority issues, perfectly, so props to that poster, too.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Um, I will take BOTH as suggestions.
    I mean when one is writing ANY book you are selling every single person in that book to your audience.

You have to go in knowing that at any time someone in that book may get called for a solo, mini or something.

Storm being done well in Shuri or Black Panther is nice BUT she is X-MEN property. This is where she is suppose to be SOLD to your audience. Her being done well in Black Panther books only benefit PANTHER.

Prodigy might not have his powers but he is WAY more dangerous than Jean Grey. Think of all the memories he has in his mind? Think of all the secrets he knows?
    In theory HE is the smartest person in Marvel. Yet could not be found when a certain cloud was killing folks.

Oh, definitely. Also, skyvolt2000 just summed up the issue with how people of color in comics are all too often treated, even in a series that's such a visible and otherwise potent metaphor for various minority issues, perfectly, so props to that poster, too.
    Since I tend to gravitate to POC lead books over others-you get spoiled when some of the POC have their won books that showcase what they can do. Then when you go to other books you see them get treated as a joke.

I put it to you like this-if we took all version of Static and put him in Marvel-he is up there with Magneto in power level. That is how deadly he really is.
    We saw Flint (inhumans) move asteroids in space at will. Yet if there is a story of an asteroid heading to destroy Earth-guess WHO won't be asked to help.

I could put together an all POC team who could take on ANYBODY. yet we will never see that story.

I mean when one is writing ANY book you are selling every single person in that book to your audience.

You have to go in knowing that at any time someone in that book may get called for a solo, mini or something.

Storm being done well in Shuri or Black Panther is nice BUT she is X-MEN property. This is where she is suppose to be SOLD to your audience. Her being done well in Black Panther books only benefit PANTHER.

Prodigy might not have his powers but he is WAY more dangerous than Jean Grey. Think of all the memories he has in his mind? Think of all the secrets he knows?
    In theory HE is the smartest person in Marvel. Yet could not be found when a certain cloud was killing folks.

Since I tend to gravitate to POC lead books over others-you get spoiled when some of the POC have their won books that showcase what they can do. Then when you go to other books you see them get treated as a joke.

I put it to you like this-if we took all version of Static and put him in Marvel-he is up there with Magneto in power level. That is how deadly he really is.
    We saw Flint (inhumans) move asteroids in space at will. Yet if there is a story of an asteroid heading to destroy Earth-guess WHO won't be asked to help.

I could put together an all POC team who could take on ANYBODY. yet we will never see that story.
    Which is a crying shame, if not a downright travesty.

Mighty Member

Yep.. who ever did the Nu Inhuman push did an excellent job of not only creating a diverse group of new characters and weaving them into story narratives that matter.

Grid, Flint, ISO, Synapse, Mosaic ( he got the push that Sych should have gotten post necrosha ), Inferno, Moon Girl, Ms.Marvel, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Yep.. who ever did the Nu Inhuman push did an excellent job of not only creating a diverse group of new characters and weaving them into story narratives that matter.

Grid, Flint, ISO, Synapse, Mosaic ( he got the push that Sych should have gotten post necrosha ), Inferno, Moon Girl, Ms.Marvel, etc
    What happened to all those characters outside of Lunella and Kamala?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    What happened to all those characters outside of Lunella and Kamala?
    These characters and the majority of the inhumans were shelved after the TV show's disastrous run. All the Inhumans buzz fizzled with that show and then Marvel got the X men again..I do think they could slowly try again with inhumans. Many fans were upset because they knew that a lot of the inhuman buzz was because marvel did not have the movie rights to the xmen and they knew that the inhumans were utilized punitively. People were annoyed rightfully so and that seemed to translate into how fans received the books. They need to start again slowly with one or two books and few mini series. Make the inhumans great just not in opposition to mutants.

To my knowledge, all of the character are alive.. just in a limbo.