Page 67 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1757636465666768697071 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1148
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I'm reminded of someone who made an interesting point regarding 2002's X-Statix, who were these mutants that were made to be more like media celebrities than anything else. It struck me with the conscious realization that, yes, while there's racism and other forms of superiority-fueled hateful oppression in the world, at the same time, there are black people that managed to become successful celebrities and popularly received by and large, whether they be actors like Samuel L. Jackson, athletes like LeBron James, or musicians like Jay Z. Just as there can be a benefit in showing that mutants can be a parallel to minorities getting oppressed, at the same time, I think there can be also a benefit in reinforcing the idea that it's possible for a minority person to gain success and acceptance, and that they're not guaranteed to forever suffer.

So normally this thread leans to the negative but I think we can give Marvel and the X-men line a little credit

New Mutants- Probably one of the most racially diverse books that we have seen in a long time it has Moonstar, Karma, Sunspot, and Mondo. It has 4 women as well. Even the makeup of the non-minority characters is characters from around the globe Rahne(Scottish), Magik(Russian) Chamber(British). Now you don't expect every book to look like this but one book in a line should at least look in today market. Special note Karma is on the team and Karma is the swiss army knife of diversity being Asian, Foreign, Female, LGBTQ and has a handicap I always find that funny to point out .

Marauders- has rare two black people in a team, Two LGBTQ males on a team(If it is nu Pyro). It still isn't 3 which typically seem impossible for creators to do without making a whole team dedicated to the minority group but this group fairly decent make up

Excalibur- Jubilee, Rictor, and Apocalypse. I mean they like to pretend that Apocalypse is blue but know he is on a team interacting with people and his background will matter at some point right? Rictor you have to be happy about this because Latino males are rare in comics. Hopefully, Sunspot or Rictor become mainstays so they can start building up from the low numbers. I just remember Hickman mentioning Goldballs so it is possible that 3 Latinx males will be in X-books at the same time.

Fallen Angels-Has an Asian Woman as the lead character

For me at least I think this relaunch is a set up in the right direction. X-force line up is typically what we get and then they would sneak in the two minorities on the team. I can ignore that X-force is completely white because they are doing a good job elsewhere but you have point it because when it happens with other direction people will like to tell you that is forced. If they made an all-female team, all LGBTQ team or black team people will be quick to say I don't know it feels forced. You put together a team of all white people nobody says a thing which is fine. Just keep the energy when they make a team other teams like that.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 07-21-2019 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Though I suppose she could be included in any, except Marauders -depending on what theme they want / have for the cast.
    lol #shade and whyyyy not?
    Hmm looking at the roster if they added Monet it would seem a lil too dark wouldn't it

We'll know the rosters in a few more hours.
    she's probably on the "rotating cast" of X-Men but
    it sucks shes not featured on the covers of any the new books. Every time there's a new "dynamic" change to the X-Books is generally the same ol' white characters in new or classic costumes. it seems 90% of the X-Men non-white members are featured on the 6 new covers #smdh And Marvel seemingly has no plan to address it.
    I just gotta few questions....
    How many Wolverines do we need in different books? Marvel Girls? Do we reeeeally need another narrative centering around Scott 'Wonder Bread' Summers family? in 20 years are Storm and a Bishop stilllll gonna be the 'Only 2" black Mutants X-writers rotate? (maaaaybe Sunspot could make it in by then)Why is New Mutants a team/lineup from the 80s still the most diverse Book/active Team? Unless it's AoA why add Mondo?
    i loooved his character when i wss a kud reading GenX/neXt buuut that wasn't really him and no one knows anything about this Mondo. Im not really complaining but if a GenX male was gonna make a combat Why not add Synch or Skin whose profile and return is high among fans(me) Or Maggot? or Better yet Wiz Kid who has a history with the NewMutants?? im not tryna push minority over white characters...but if you can build a team of mutants to write about Why chose a villain to add? WE'VE SEEN THAT BEFORE lol we know how the story arc will likely end

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    lol #shade and whyyyy not?
    Hmm looking at the roster if they added Monet it would seem a lil too dark wouldn't it .
    No such think as too dark. lol

On a serious note, when we got the Marauders title, that was the book Creed x Mystique were assumed to be in -if any. So I knew Monet wouldn't be on any teams with them, and a bunch of other villains. But now that we know what the book actually is, I'd have preferred Monet to Kitty. Again.

she's probably on the "rotating cast" of X-Men but
    it sucks shes not featured on the covers of any the new books. Every time there's a new "dynamic" change to the X-Books is generally the same ol' white characters in new or classic costumes. it seems 90% of the X-Men non-white members are featured on the 6 new covers #smdh And Marvel seemingly has no plan to address it.
    I just gotta few questions....
    How many Wolverines do we need in different books? Marvel Girls? Do we reeeeally need another narrative centering around Scott 'Wonder Bread' Summers family? in 20 years are Storm and a Bishop stilllll gonna be the 'Only 2" black Mutants X-writers rotate? (maaaaybe Sunspot could make it in by then)Why is New Mutants a team/lineup from the 80s still the most diverse Book/active Team? Unless it's AoA why add Mondo?
    i loooved his character when i wss a kud reading GenX/neXt buuut that wasn't really him and no one knows anything about this Mondo. Im not really complaining but if a GenX male was gonna make a combat Why not add Synch or Skin whose profile and return is high among fans(me) Or Maggot? or Better yet Wiz Kid who has a history with the NewMutants?? im not tryna push minority over white characters...but if you can build a team of mutants to write about Why chose a villain to add? WE'VE SEEN THAT BEFORE lol we know how the story arc will likely end
    At least Apocalypse is black. Regardless of what officials wanna say. Ancient Egyptian, the man sure ain't white. lol Again, despite what biased white America would have everyone think with their whitewashing of Ancient Egyptians and always having Cleopatra played by white women when the Egyptians outright depicted her as dark skinned with full features. Or The Bible saying Jesus was dark-skinned with nappy hair, yet we keep seeing him shown as a straight-haired white man.

It's nice Monet was pictured to be in X-Men, along with Frenzy who could use some attention. But that rotating cast spread was so huge, what are the chances we're gonna see either of them any time soon, or too often? Monet as Hickman's fav. could have her showing up early on, but I am not willing to put money on that. lol

Hickman gave his top 5 favorite mutants and only 2 of them have appeared thus far.

Killerbee911 is right that we're doing better with having more than 1 token MOC on the casts. But since I was always a person who had only a few favorite secondary characters in fiction, I usually know I won't see my favs. that often.

So while the new teams sound interesting, I am waiting on Wave 2, in hopes Monet may be featured more heavily in a book there. Along with Husk. Wouldn't mind seeing Deadpool too, if he's written seriously again. SO it's a waiting game for me.

https://www.newsarama.com/46199-sdcc...e-for-all.html
    Fan Q: Asks about X-Men being a book for minorities, but most of the X-Men are primarily white.

Hickman: On the race, obviously we need more characters of color. The ones we do have - it's important to write them well, and make them as big as possible. There's some we're bringing back, which I hope people will be excited about.

Okay see now that's a good answer. Kelly Thompson's answer before Disassembled still pisses me off

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Okay see now that's a good answer. Kelly Thompson's answer before Disassembled still pisses me off
    What'd she say?

Mighty Member

Best answer I have heard from the office.But I wish he would have also said we have to stop killing them needlessly and we need to make sure we color them right in the comic books.. in the last 20 years they have a decent amount of mutants of color they have shelved..

Decay, Shola, Hub, Hack, Thunderbird 2,Tempo, Sway,Triage, Goldballs, Flourish, Cipher, not to mention Synch Risque, m twins, karms sibs,

What'd she say?

"We're still focusing a lot on straight white women, but we've got four POCs so that's good enough for me"

X-MEN: CRITICAL HONKITIS

X-FORCE: CRITICAL HONKITIS

MAURADERS: Hey! Pretty good!

EXCALIBUR: Hey! Pretty good!

NEW MUTANTS: Hey! Pretty good!

FALLEN ANGELS: why does this exist ghghfjfhshs
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

"We're still focusing a lot on straight white women, but we've got four POCs so that's good enough for me"
    Well if four isn't good enough, and a non-sufficient number, then I suppose it's reasonable enough to ask, what is a good enough number of POC that's sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Well if four isn't good enough, and a non-sufficient number, then I suppose it's reasonable enough to ask, what is a good enough number of POC that's sufficient?
    In a book of like 20+ characters in an arc that went on for 10 issues? More than that

I can't even remember anything that Jubilee or Storm did. And Bishop had like one good scene.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    X-MEN: CRITICAL HONKITIS

X-FORCE: CRITICAL HONKITIS

MAURADERS: Hey! Pretty good!

EXCALIBUR: Hey! Pretty good!

NEW MUTANTS: Hey! Pretty good!

FALLEN ANGELS: why does this exist ghghfjfhshs
    X-Men at least has the fact that the cast rotates in its favor. It will eventually get better.
    What will be X-Force's excuse in the long run? LMAO
    Last edited by PrezValentine; 07-21-2019 at 01:09 PM.

In a book of like 20+ characters in an arc that went on for 10 issues? More than that

I can't even remember anything that Jubilee or Storm did. And Bishop had like one good scene.
    And then Monet & Frenzy were just cameos on 2 pages. ANd weren't even in an AoX book.

I can’t believe she said “significant.”