Page 47 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Who else wants to see more minority siblings in XBooks? Just at the top of my head only ones. I can think of are Proudstar Brothers, Bishop and Shard, Karma and her siblings the Bedlam Bros and the St Croix family. :/
    Another thought just occurred to me....has there ever been minority siblings serving on an XTeam at the same time. I guess you could count Bishop and Shard but the fact that she was merely a hologram puts an unfortunate asterisk on the distinction
    Monet and her sisters

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    @[B]Killerbee911
    You mentioned Bishop. Clearly a black man, but someone wanna bring up "He's Australian." Sure he is. The aboriginals of Australia were Black Africans. Australia has since been colonized, but there's different races there. Everyone isn't one thing. So Bishop is a black man.
    Why can't he be both Black and Aboriginal Australian? I mean, he is. They aren't the same thing, which is the argument I think you're making here. They aren't 'Black Africans' in the sense of us talking about ancient Egypt or modern hominid cultures/racial identities being brought to other locations during AD periods. Aboriginal Australian ancestors left Africa 75,000 years ago in the same, if not earlier, wave as European and Asian ancestors and remained isolated on Australia until the 1800's. They are their own culture and essential "race" to themselves and other indigenous islanders in that region (depending on how your define race). So yeah, he's black, but he's also Aboriginal Australian which is important for some to denote.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Why can't he be both Black and Aboriginal Australian? I mean, he is. They aren't the same thing, which is the argument I think you're making here. They aren't 'Black Africans' in the sense of us talking about ancient Egypt or modern hominid cultures/racial identities being brought to other locations during AD periods. Aboriginal Australian ancestors left Africa 75,000 years ago in the same, if not earlier, wave as European and Asian ancestors and remained isolated on Australia until the 1800's. They are their own culture and essential "race" to themselves and other indigenous islanders in that region (depending on how your define race). So yeah, he's black, but he's also Aboriginal Australian which is important for some to denote.
    But some use his Australian Heritage as a detractor to his being black. Some said black. And other poster's response "Idk, i think he's Aboriginal Australian."

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    People have had actual conversation about representation with you and you ignore it. I have seen the comments she is Puerto Rican( a nationality/ethnicity) not Black (a race) when people explain to you that Black( means race from African decent) and not Black( Afro-american) you ignore it. One of the simplest things like Puerto Ricans, Brazilians, Dominicans,Cuban;They are people from all those nationalities who are Black( African decent) sometimes they understand Black to mean (Afro-american) and you will see people from everyone of those backgrounds go I am not Black (meaning Afro American). I have seen this explain to over and over in the thread and I will explain to you like I do to anyone who looks at me crazy when I say they are black. Your ancestors came over on a slave ship it stop on Cuba,Puerto Rico,or Brazil ,My ancestor came over on a slave ship they land on Jamaica, Virgins Islands,United States, etc. That is only difference is what Island or country you landed on and who brought you over. It is easiest baseline in this convo they are people with Latino/Hispanic background(ethnicity) who have African ancestry(Race).

All of this say the simplest thing in representation is getting how character looks like right. Bishop,Monet, Celia,Trinary,Black Panther can written and authentically to their ethnicity and culture but if they don't look like their character and suppose be from certain place where people look a certain way what is the point? You tell where character is from by how they look Bishop doesn't have to say one word in comic I know he is from African descent. You might want to gloss over it in visual medium the first thing you need to get right how something looks. It is not small thing it is biggest identifier of a character whose a minority. When Rock cast himself as John Henry it is big deal, When Zoe Salanda cast herself as Nina Simone it is a big deal, The fact Black Panther cast dark skin female actors is big deal. We can't begin to have a deeper convo on representation when they don't represent correctly the most basic thing. Whether Apocalypse and Blink is Black matters, The fact they keep lighten Monet and Sunspot matters. The fact they keep casting Bi racial light skin women as character from two black parents matter. It might not matter as much to you but not getting the simplest thing base right is annoying and why I am moving on to talk about things on a deep level when they can't get the simplest thing right.I mean
    Superb Post man. I think this should be at the beginning of threads concerning minority characters as a part of reading comprehension quiz that posters would have to pass before they could submit a their post lol YAAAS all day

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    But that is not important we should be talking about importance of getting Welsh,Scottish and English accents right or something else apparently.
    I was extremely bewildered comic "fans" praising New Mutants for finding a comics accurate actor to play Sunspot
    Ughhh
    confusedblackgirl.jpg
    Whaaaat
    20181023_140106.jpg9

You mentioned Bishop. Clearly a black man, but someone wanna bring up "He's Australian." Sure he is. The aboriginals of Australia were Black Africans. Australia has since been colonized, but there's different races there. Everyone isn't one thing. So Bishop is a black man.
    Ugh Bishops backstory is like his sister Shards hair....a hot gravity/logic defying mess

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Monet and her sisters
    Oh dang you're right! Still tho...gets an asterisk caaaause how many missions did Penance go on?
    Last edited by BroHomo; 10-23-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Superb Post man. I think this should be at the beginning of threads concerning minority characters as a part of reading comprehension quiz that posters would have to pass before they could submit a their post lol YAAAS all day

I was extremely bewildered comic "fans" praising New Mutants for finding a comics accurate actor to play Sunspot
    Ughhh
    confusedblackgirl.jpg
    Whaaaat
    20181023_140106.jpg9

Ugh Bishops backstory is like his sister Shards hair....a hot gravity/logic defying mess

Oh dang you're right! Still tho...gets an asterisk caaaause how many missions did Penance go on?
    Regarding Bishop's backstory, didn't one story say Monet was his grandmother?

Regarding Bishop's backstory, didn't one story say Monet was his grandmother?
    NOOOOOO!!!
    When they fought Emplate and his Hellions Bishop got knocked around/confused in battle M went to check up on him he thought she was his grandma

But some use his Australian Heritage as a detractor to his being black. Some said black. And other poster's response "Idk, i think he's Aboriginal Australian."
    Got it. As we know, he's both but he associates with being black as that is the identity he grew up with.

BANNED

The aboriginals of Australia were Black Africans
    I hope that bullshit is sarcasm. Aboriginal people have the oldest continuous culture in the world with very little interracial relationships and the last time they were in Africa was 75,000 years ago. If you're going to go THAT far back everyone is Black African.

Ya'll are Kayne MAGA level crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    I hope that bullshit is sarcasm. Aboriginal people have the oldest continuous culture in the world with very little interracial relationships and the last time they were in Africa was 75,000 years ago. If you're going to go THAT far back everyone is Black African.

Ya'll are Kayne MAGA level crazy.
    These are Australian Aboriginals.

Are these people not black to you?

We're not crazy. Just knowledgeable about own race, compared to what people of other races would think, like to think, or have us think.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-23-2018 at 02:08 PM.

These are Australian Aboriginals.

Are these people not black to you?

We're not crazy. Just knowledgeable about own race, compared to what people of other races would think, like to think, or have us think.
    I think what WQEF is touching upon, as I did, as that they are definitely black (as they do refer to themselves as 'black') but calling them 'Black African' as you did earlier isn't accurate. It makes it sound like they are transplants through contemporary means (slaving, travel, etc) vs a migration that exists before most written or depicted history and before "race" existed.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Take your own advice and look at what you're actually saying compared to what you're trying to accomplish. You're debating what shade a neanderthal is and acting offended. You're getting yourself worked up over one issue and ignoring the ones with far greater implications. Instead of complaining on twitter about how a character didn't act the way you wanted them to one could use that voice and moment to voice how you want to see POC in leadership at Marvel.
    What we are trying to accomplish? I said there was something that made us uncomfortable so I brought it up for discussion. How about instead of policing how other people should feel about decisions made or how they may/may not be represented, you follow your own words of advice and talk to Marvel about employing POC. A lot more can get done that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I think what WQEF is touching upon, as I did, as that they are definitely black (as they do refer to themselves as 'black') but calling them 'Black African' as you did earlier isn't accurate. It makes it sound like they are transplants through contemporary means (slaving, travel, etc) vs a migration that exists before most written or depicted history and before "race" existed.
    I always use the African term as the term black will vary. In older days anyone of color was called black. Like Spanish referring to Asiqns as Negritos. Little black people.

So belive it or not, on some forums, it's been argued what the word black means or includes because many races are black. There's even a site I think Black superheroes which can include dark Asians.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-23-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Can we discuss the ethnicities applied to minority characters?

Cause the application of Bishop’s aboriginal origin to “flavor” his blackness is confusing and suspicious.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Bishop being revealed to be a descendant of Gateway was one of Claremont's plot points that never went anywhere (as usual).

"Flavor his blackness". Gimme a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Bishop being revealed to be a descendant of Gateway was one of Claremont's plot points that never went anywhere (as usual).

"Flavor his blackness". Gimme a break.
    Man. He seems to have had tons of plans he never did anything with, or wasn't allowed to do anything with. lol