Page 71 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1148

Im not too bothered by Karima's coloring. She's a sentinel and made of artificial components. She can show up in the next issue as purple and I wouldnt call that example of racial erasure. She's effectively a robot

Astonishing Member

I don't think she is being whitewashed. looks brown to me. And essentially the same as this old design of her
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Karim..._2_189_001.jpg

the artist is very good, but much better with males than females. Karima has always looked like an Indian, I don't think there is a risk of whitewashing her because her ethnicity has always been very clear. With Monet it was different because of the French Algerian confusion.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Stop blaming the penciler unless they're also doing the colour work.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I don't think she is being whitewashed. looks brown to me. And essentially the same as this old design of her
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Karim..._2_189_001.jpg

the artist is very good, but much better with males than females. Karima has always looked like an Indian, I don't think there is a risk of whitewashing her because her ethnicity has always been very clear. With Monet it was different because of the French Algerian confusion.
    I think times like this are more often the result of lighting/shading inconsistencies rather than whitewashing.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I think times like this are often the result of lighting inconsistencies rather than whitewashing.
    Someone brought this up on twitter. Basically another way to be lazy. As they & common sense say, a person of color doesn't not turn white when they're in a bright area. lol Rather than lighting up their entire skin color, colorists should better work on showing how light reflects off of a person with melanin. Then these situations of a brown character randomly being white in certain panels wouldn't contribute to issues of whitewash.

Using Monet again, this has been happening for her a lot since X-Corps. Where she'd go from brown to white in neighboring panels.

Weapon X #22. Brown at the start of the issue, then later she's white.

There's no excuse for this. lol Just pettiness, non-professionalism, and possibly racial bias.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 09-12-2019 at 11:55 AM.

That's just one of the colouring inconsistencies Electric was talking about. You can still tell she's dark skinned compared to the Caucasian dude right there.
    "Cable was right!"

Eh. I heard that before. She may be BARELY darker than Creed, but still looks like a white lady with a tan compared to the non-tanned white dude next to her.

The colorists need to cut this crap. When you look at Monet there, she can easily be mistaken for a white woman because that's how her coloring is depicting her. She's barely tan, but certainly not brown.

Hell if I can make her brown with 15 year old Photoshop Elements, Marvel professionals should be able to do the same. I think this is more appropriate. Not grand, but least you can see brown.

Sadly this is an occasional hobby at this point. Fixing what colorists mess up.

Otherwise, this is a white woman.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 09-12-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I think times like this are more often the result of lighting/shading inconsistencies rather than whitewashing.
    Doesn't really make it any better. Colorists should understand how melanin reacts to different light.

This is why they need to hire Matthew Wilson for more books.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Doesn't really make it any better. Colorists should understand how melanin reacts to different light.
    Agreed. Again, just laziness. It's easier to just make a brown character white than to worry about shading, lighting, and accuracy. So Hell, even if it does have to do with lighting, it should still count as whitewashing because that's what it is. Brown people don't just turn white. Unless you wanna go the Michael Jackson route and have a writer include that into the character's story.

BANNED

I think it's something to be said of the urge to dismiss the microaggressions committed again and again of lightening the skin of heavily melanated characters. If we were discussing slowly stripping away the jewish qualifiers of say Magneto or Kitty Pryde, would it recieve the same energy?

Anyone have thoughts on the current Hickman books? My guys seems to have forgotten about several mutants of color that he can give some shine and renewed focus. Hopefully Hickman will remember that Storm is ripe to be written into X-Men legacy as well as Bishop. Did he just get in there to prop up the usual suspects?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on the current Hickman books? My guys seems to have forgotten about several mutants of color that he can give some shine and renewed focus. Hopefully Hickman will remember that Storm is ripe to be written into X-Men legacy as well as Bishop. Did he just get in there to prop up the usual suspects?
    one of the later issues have what seems to be Storm, Exodus and Emma defending Krako on the cover. Which makes me wonder if there was something wrong with the resurrection of the team that just died, so they had to defend Krakoa with them instead.
    He has already given Storm and Trinary a smart use last week, for the telepathic connection to the Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Duuude that's Awesome!
    I miss Darwin
    And I also miss seeing Shark Girl in Brazilian girl form. I am beginning to think many artists and writers don't know she is like Rahne and think she is 100% a Shark looking mutant.
    It could become a problem like what happened to Sauron and Sasquatch. They were only used as Sauron and Sasquatch for years, because writers/artists didnt know of their Dr Karl Lykos and Langkowski look. Ewing and Pad recently had them as humans for the first time in years, and Ewing being the continuity nerd he is, created an explanation for Sasquatch not being in his human form for so long, to excuse the mistake of the previous writers.
    Thus is exactly what I'm afraid is gonna to Monet since the recent reveal of her Penance transformation
    IWith Monet it was different because of the French Algerian confusion.
    How? Is being French or Algerian disqualify you From being black?

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    I think it's something to be said of the urge to dismiss the microaggressions committed again and again of lightening the skin of heavily melanated characters. If we were discussing slowly stripping away the jewish qualifiers of say Magneto or Kitty Pryde, would it recieve the same energy?
    Ha dude rIIIIIIIGHT?
    GrindrStone(D)

I miss Darwin
    And I also miss seeing Shark Girl in Brazilian girl form. I am beginning to think many artists and writers don't know she is like Rahne and think she is 100% a Shark looking mutant.
    It could become a problem like what happened to Sauron and Sasquatch. They were only used as Sauron and Sasquatch for years, because writers/artists didnt know of their Dr Karl Lykos and Langkowski look. Ewing and Pad recently had them as humans for the first time in years, and Ewing being the continuity nerd he is, created an explanation for Sasquatch not being in his human form for so long, to excuse the mistake of the previous writers.
    I'll need to re-read Shark Girl's debut issue where she meets Archangel but I can't recall Aaron ever stating she can shapeshift like Rahne.
    "Cable was right!"