Page 58 of 77 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Expecting a racially diverse cast in the X-Men, is like, expecting a unicorn to bust out of a rainbow-colored vagina--seconds after winning the Mega-Millions Lotto. It happening, chief.

Yeah. Yeah. I know. Hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalysia View Post
    Expecting a racially diverse cast in the X-Men, is like, expecting a unicorn to bust out of a rainbow-colored vagina--seconds after winning the Mega-Millions Lotto. It happening, chief.
    If I find myself anywhere close to a vagina to see its coming and goings. Odds are the universe is broken and all bets are off

Stop me if I'm getting too galaxy brain, conspiracy theory-ish but did Sunspot ever lose his blackness under Hickman? I swear he was consistently drawn as black throughout the Avengers/New Avengers/Avengers World run but I could really be wrong. And as soon as Hickman's work with him is over, Sunspot goes back to straight hair and white skin. Not knocking Ewing because he worked wonder for Bobby, but I feel like Hickman made sure he was drawn correctly. That and the artists being amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    If only, there was some kind of figure, some kind of overseer and curator responsible for a certain number of titles, with the power to work with writers during the development of books to make the story they want to tell the best it can be by helping form things like a diverse cast. But alas, such an individual is only a phantom of my imagination. So we must rely on every single writer being willing to actually care about doing this themselves, and grieve when that is often not the case.
    hmmmmmmmmmm you might be on to something. mayhaps someone who can help exert some sort of.....editorial control and consultation to collaborate with the writer to give us a cast that doesn't light up a room. Bringing them out of their comfort zone without necessarily driving the story. Almost like an.........................edit person? Editor, perhaps? Group editor (I may be getting too bold)???

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The first panel of Loa's death is from February's Uncanny #11, the second of Warpath getting stabbed is from last month's X-Force #4, he'll live but it was a wack way to end a great issue, and the last is the cover for Uncanny #22 or whatever for July.
    omg wow thank you. smh
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    omg wow thank you. smh
    I bet in next few issues ... Juggernaut gets more lines than Dani and Karma combined

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Stop me if I'm getting too galaxy brain, conspiracy theory-ish but did Sunspot ever lose his blackness under Hickman? I swear he was consistently drawn as black throughout the Avengers/New Avengers/Avengers World run but I could really be wrong. And as soon as Hickman's work with him is over, Sunspot goes back to straight hair and white skin. Not knocking Ewing because he worked wonder for Bobby, but I feel like Hickman made sure he was drawn correctly. That and the artists being amazing.

hmmmmmmmmmm you might be on to something. mayhaps someone who can help exert some sort of.....editorial control and consultation to collaborate with the writer to give us a cast that doesn't light up a room. Bringing them out of their comfort zone without necessarily driving the story. Almost like an.........................edit person? Editor, perhaps? Group editor (I may be getting too bold)???
    Good point because while Casselli is traditionally good at giving characters unique features, I don't typically associate that with Leinil Yu? It would be interesting if Hickman indeed pushes for that in his collaborative efforts.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Yeah, Marvel has a pretty persistent decades-long problem of creating and abandoning diversity characters. Some could dismiss that as "most new characters end up with that fate," but it still does Marvel no favors that they can't seem to continue supporting any one diverse character unless they were a highly used character in the perceived "golden age."

I mean, there's Dust that I think of immediately. Trinary's probably done. Georgia from ANXF is probably never gonna get used again. List goes on.
    Dust seems to be having a small bit of time in the current Champions story, but when that's done, it's "back to the usual; nothing to see here" for the most part.

I would like to believe that Hickman will go the route of at least establishing Bishop back to being as popular as he was at the height of his overall success. My true wish is seeing Hickman distinguish as a badass warrior/soldier in a way that's different but on par with Cyclops.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I would like to believe that Hickman will go the route of at least establishing Bishop back to being as popular as he was at the height of his overall success. My true wish is seeing Hickman distinguish as a badass warrior/soldier in a way that's different but on par with Cyclops.
    be cool if Sunspot and Bishop were on the same team....🤔🤔hmm now that I think about it have they ever interacted?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    be cool if Sunspot and Bishop were on the same team....����hmm now that I think about it have they ever interacted?
    I was confused because I tend to forget that Cable is a thing, and that Bishop didn't lead X-Force all those Liefield years, which is my headcanon happy place.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    be cool if Sunspot and Bishop were on the same team....����hmm now that I think about it have they ever interacted?
    The Days of Future Past movie?

Stevie Hunter, a ballerina if not for a bad knee
    Poolside at the mansion
    Who pays for this stuff?
    Last edited by sungila; 04-14-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I would like to believe that Hickman will go the route of at least establishing Bishop back to being as popular as he was at the height of his overall success.

Bishop is irredeemable at this point unless a younger version kills him and replaces him

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    why do you think this has been such persistent problem?
    Because once upon a time all your X-books have diversity covered. Had it covered beyond lip service.

Your POC were more then background fodder. They had lead roles in stories or even got spot lighted.

Storm once lead the X-Men.
    Sunspot, Karma & Dani had major roles in New Mutants.
    X-23 & those black brothers were in No Way OUt
    Bishop had a lead in a book
    Prodigy & New X-Men Academy Kids
    Generation X kids.
    With writers who at times made it feel natural and not forced.

I would say what started the shift was the Fox movies and who started getting hired for books.
    Remember aside from black folks-a lot of your X-staff were POC of color.
    The books began to reflect the movies and that meant certain folks got pushed up and others didn't.

Also who got solos and minis beyond 1997? Aside from X-23, Jubliee, Storm and someone else-what other POC & LGBTQ got anything to showcase them?
    Back to the writers-they were not being paid to write about POC as leads.
    Despite at other companies they did. However many of them were not faces of franchises.

Another thing to look at how many POC got any usage BEYOND X-Men? While still linked to it. Appearing in the books at the same time?
    Storm
    Synch
    X-23

Prodigy & Sunspot no. Has Prodigy being bisexual EVERY been addressed in X-Men? Like by his ex-girlfriend? Or the one killed in New Warriors?

I think the issue is the X-franchise is acting like DC Comics. They are letting OTHERS address diversity instead of doing it themselves.
    When Milestone was around only 1 POC got a book while they were going (Steel & John Stewart books were already around). Black Lightning.

You got Miles, Panther & family, Riri, Kate and so on leading the charge that maybe the X-franchise doesn't want to intrude.
    Which is a bad thing because for all the claims to civil rights and black lives matter. It looks REAL bad to showcase that claim and all you leads at white.
    Especially when OTHER companies are jumping on the diversity bandwagon.

I mean now would be a perfect time for a X-Men story about mutants of color who face more hate beyond those mutant powers.
    What does Dust face as a mutant of color and Muslim?
    Prodigy got the trifecta black, gay & mutant.

Answer the question of wht would mutants of color do to fix POC communities. Why it would work or NOT work.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    The Days of Future Past movie?
    Nah i refuse ti to believe that dude was playing the same Sunspot we all know and love
    Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Stevie Hunter, a ballerina if not for a bad knee
    Poolside at the mansion
    Who pays for this stuff?
    Stevie got that Beyonce and JayZ money
    Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    Bishop is irredeemable at this point unless a younger version kills him and replaces him
    Nit when Wolverine and Scarlett Witch Still on "hero" teams