Page 72 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2262686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1148
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'll need to re-read Shark Girl's debut issue where she meets Archangel but I can't recall Aaron ever stating she can shapeshift like Rahne.
    iirc it was something like eating or drinking blood turns her into a Shark, but she has been constantly used in Shark form the last books.
    In Old Man Logan and Age of X she only appeared as a Shark for example. And Old Man Logan implied that is her normal look because it was a story about mutants like Glob that don't look like attractive normal humans.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Is that what happened cuz even Aaron kept her in shark form for most of the WatXM stories like the Circus and the Hellfire brats. It seems she's stuck just like Rockslide.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Is that what happened cuz even Aaron kept her in shark form for most of the WatXM stories like the Circus and the Hellfire brats. It seems she's stuck just like Rockslide.
    no
    In Spiderman and the XMen iirc she fainted and went back to her brazilian girl look. In that book she was in a relationship with Hellion. Should reread that, but it seemed like she had control over her transformation.

One of the later issues of Aaron's WATXM revealed that Iara was consciously spending less and less time in human form and that she was spending her nights in shark form just swimming around in a bath tub.

It was also the issue where we found out that Jia Jing obsessively stays up late every night studying and doing extra homework.

It was not a good series

That was already established when Aaron brought in the Hellfire brats.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    One of the later issues of Aaron's WATXM revealed that Iara was consciously spending less and less time in human form and that she was spending her nights in shark form just swimming around in a bath tub.

It was also the issue where we found out that Jia Jing obsessively stays up late every night studying and doing extra homework.

It was not a good series
    Most of Aaron's crap isn't good. I will forever hate him as a writer. lol A reason most of the stuff he writes about mutants needs to be ignored.

I have a question for everyone. Is it hard to portray any black or south Indian character as "light-skinned"? When most of Marvel's black characters were created, all of them had the same medium-brown complexion, while most middle-eastern/Indian were colored that weirdly offensive gray. So for most people, any shade lighter than the brown from the 70s, 80s, and 90s will seem like white-washing. But in real life not all black people are the same color and not all are medium to dark-skinned either. Now this is coming from a dark-skinned man, whatever that's worth (probably nothing). Looking at that gorgeous piece that featured most of the black members of the X-family, I couldn't help notice that all of them are of a darker complexion.
    With today's computer coloring techniques shouldn't some characters resemble Prince, Beyonce, Vanessa Williams, Jeffery Wright, or Michael Ealy, all of whom have two black parents?
    And if that is acceptable, then who?
    Wouldn't 'Berto have the golden-brown complexion like this
    jacob-artist-profile.jpg
    compared to how he is normally colored back in the day:
    michael-b-jordan-gettyimages-482462800_1600jpg.jpg
    This complexion is how most black characters are colored in comics, not light, not dark.

What about this? miss-algeria.jpg
    This is Ms. Algeria. A beautiful woman who some in that country considered to be too dark, yet in America she would be considered "high-yellow" or "red-bone". Is her color too light for Monet?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

It was not a good series
    Same series that nonstop sexualized Idie every chance it got and turned all her trauma into one-liner jokes. Plus that whole Warbird/Iceman thing....damn did anyone come out of that book looking good besides Quentin and Logan?
    Last edited by Tycon; 09-13-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Same series that nonstop sexualized Idie every chance it got and turned all her trauma into one-liner jokes. Plus that whole Warbird/I mean thing....damn did anyone come out of that book looking good besides Quentin and Logan?
    Krakoa Jr.
    Dog Logan

Yeah. There was a huge disconnect if you followed Idie from Generation Hope. Swear it was two different girls.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

It seemed to be trying to go for ‘wacky fun’, but just ended up as ‘huh?’

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I have a question for everyone. Is it hard to portray any black or south Indian character as "light-skinned"? When most of Marvel's black characters were created, all of them had the same medium-brown complexion, while most middle-eastern/Indian were colored that weirdly offensive gray. So for most people, any shade lighter than the brown from the 70s, 80s, and 90s will seem like white-washing. But in real life not all black people are the same color and not all are medium to dark-skinned either. Now this is coming from a dark-skinned man, whatever that's worth (probably nothing). Looking at that gorgeous piece that featured most of the black members of the X-family, I couldn't help notice that all of them are of a darker complexion.
    With today's computer coloring techniques shouldn't some characters resemble Prince, Beyonce, Vanessa Williams, Jeffery Wright, or Michael Ealy, all of whom have two black parents?
    And if that is acceptable, then who?
    Wouldn't 'Berto have the golden-brown complexion like this
    jacob-artist-profile.jpg
    compared to how he is normally colored back in the day:
    michael-b-jordan-gettyimages-482462800_1600jpg.jpg
    This complexion is how most black characters are colored in comics, not light, not dark.

What about this? miss-algeria.jpg
    This is Ms. Algeria. A beautiful woman who some in that country considered to be too dark, yet in America she would be considered "high-yellow" or "red-bone". Is her color too light for Monet?
    When Monet first appeared, she was light brown. She also had very full facial features that disappeared after GenX.

However, light brown is not too light for her. But when she goes from light brown to a light tan or white woman, I do think that's an issue.

TvTropes has a deal called "But not too Black" where they don't wanna promote people or characters that, as the name says, look too black. So skin is lightened. Storm used to be very dark, now she's Halle Berry's color. Media nowadays is at a point where they only seem to wanna promote black people that can pass for anything other than that. White, European, Asian, etc.

Like someone stated in another thread, media will do just enough to seem diverse and woke, but not enough to repulse and alienate their hick audience. lol

Monet should always be brown. I don't care which brown -she can be light brown, caramel, or chocolate. But I can not accept tan & white coloring.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    My guys seems to have forgotten about several mutants of color that he can give some shine and renewed focus. Hopefully Hickman will remember that Storm is ripe to be written into X-Men legacy as well as Bishop. Did he just get in there to prop up the usual suspects?
    In just speaking for House of M, honestly, it doesn't seem that the story isn't framed to give that many mutants any specific focus and much time to shine, since it looks like we're in for a major status quo change.

Anyone have thoughts on the current Hickman books? My guys seems to have forgotten about several mutants of color that he can give some shine and renewed focus. Hopefully Hickman will remember that Storm is ripe to be written into X-Men legacy as well as Bishop. Did he just get in there to prop up the usual suspects?
    two of his favorites ar POC Monet and Roberto. For now hoxpox has been mostly white.
    I don't expect Bishop be anything other than background character on Marauders and no role on HOXPOX

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    two of his favorites ar POC Monet and Roberto. For now hoxpox has been mostly white.
    I don't expect Bishop be anything other than background character on Marauders and no role on HOXPOX
    Then I will maybe pick up as trade, depending on how it ends up. I just don't see how this series does anything different than the pole riding of sacred cow class of X-Men

Then I will maybe pick up as trade, depending on how it ends up. I just don't see how this series does anything different than the pole riding of sacred cow class of X-Men
    I didn't expect anything different, only Moira was a surprise