Page 13 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    But bishop has caught on.
    There have been complaints about him in threads.
    Anyway i think there are more that caught on then the ones you have mention.
    The fact that you are yet to name anyone who has "caught on" beyond the 2-3 POC X-Men/Mutants that I mentioned is telling.

Whites could be minorities too you know and there are places where poc are the majority.
    On planet earth in 616 marvel universe or real life or our earth white humans are the minority anyway.
    Anyway i thought mutants are different race of humans.
    Minorities does not always = oppressed. In real life, white Europeans have had a history of colonizing and oppressing other people. And mutants are an evolution of human beings. The discrimination they face parallels into the "Oh noes, the blacks/Latinos/gays will take over" mentality fueling white supremacy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    but then what are current writers's excuse for not focusing on POC X-Men and mutants?
    Currently some poc mutants are getting a focus and in upcoming books.
    Storm for example had focus in black panther and black panther and the crew and is having another solo.

Storm for example had focus in black panther and black panther and the crew and is having another solo.
    How many times are Marvel defenders gonna mention Storm whenever people criticize the lack of minority representation in the X-Men? Storm is just one character, and if there are multiple white A-Listers by her side, why is she expected to bear the burden of representing every non-white race in the X-Men by herself? That's an insult to the character and reduces her to a token.

Speaking of others, Jubilee after a decade of atrocious treatment finally got a little bit of time of recover... in a niche book by a totally new creative team that had odds stacked against it from the start (partly because said atrocious treatment of Jubilee in the previous decade affected her popularity negatively). Ditto for Bishop.

Extraordinary Member

The fact that you are yet to name anyone who has "caught on" beyond the 2-3 POC X-Men/Mutants that I mentioned is telling.
    There is more then you realize.
    Synch,monet,oya,jubliee,psylocke,blink,dawin,sunsp ot,warpath,forge,storm,bishop,sunfire,goldballs,bl ing,reyes,dust,shark girl,angel,mirage/moonstar,armor,karma,frenzy,gentle,Prodigy,triage, rictor,surge and skin.
    These are the most talk about poc on this forum from what i read and there is a few more i think i have not posted here.

Minorities does not always = oppressed.
    True.

In real life, white Europeans have had a history of colonizing and oppressing other people. And mutants are an evolution of human beings. The discrimination they face parallels into the "Oh noes, the blacks/Latinos/gays will take over" mentality fueling white supremacy.
    Let's not forget some the large poc empires in the past who have conquered others as well.
    Of course the european worldwide conquest of the modern period was the worst one but others and who are poc had there share of conquest and oppression.
    Last edited by mace11; 01-29-2018 at 02:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member

How many times are Marvel defenders gonna mention Storm whenever people criticize the lack of minority representation in the X-Men? Storm is just one character, and if there are multiple white A-Listers by her side, why is she expected to bear the burden of representing every non-white race in the X-Men by herself? That's an insult to the character and reduces her to a token.
    I don't agree with this view.
    I don't think there is lack of minority representation in the x-men.
    So I don't agree with that criticism.
    By the way there are only few a list white x-men anyway,so when folks talk about storm as a A- lister,let's keep that in mind.

Speaking of others, Jubilee after a decade of atrocious treatment finally got a little bit of time of recover... in a niche book by a totally new creative team that had odds stacked against it from the start (partly because said atrocious treatment of Jubilee in the previous decade affected her popularity negatively). Ditto for Bishop.
    Well at least Jubilee and bishop are well known enough.

Anyway this will be my last post in this thread and i think i will move on now.
    Clearly this a complaint thread that i should have not open in the first place.
    Bye.
    Last edited by mace11; 01-29-2018 at 02:16 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    That's why is a fictional allegory. They can have Caucasian characters as oppressed and their oppression makes sense in universe
    The stories are informed by real life experiences though, so even why the writers try to portray white X-Men as downtrodden and marginalized, it doesn't quite ring true. The X-Men are hardly some scrappy band of misfits trying to survive in a cruel world, they're extraordinarily wealthy and powerful individuals who live in a mansion and have access to all kinds of wondrous technology. And more to the point, their leisurely lifestyles don't really reflect any kind of genuine struggle that readers could relate to. Yeah, I get that the writers sometimes want the X-Men to just be able to take a day off and not have to worry about fighting for their right to exist, but you know, a lot of oppressed minorities wish they had that luxury too. And it's not like the writers don't know how to depict true hardship, since there are plenty of ugly and visibly deformed mutants who do have to endure this, but they are mostly used as joke characters while the beautiful people get most of the shine.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The stories are informed by real life experiences though, so even why the writers try to portray white X-Men as downtrodden and marginalized, it doesn't quite ring true. The X-Men are hardly some scrappy band of misfits trying to survive in a cruel world, they're extraordinarily wealthy and powerful individuals who live in a mansion and have access to all kinds of wondrous technology. And more to the point, their leisurely lifestyles don't really reflect any kind of genuine struggle that readers could relate to. Yeah, I get that the writers sometimes want the X-Men to just be able to take a day off and not have to worry about fighting for their right to exist, but you know, a lot of oppressed minorities wish they had that luxury too. And it's not like the writers don't know how to depict true hardship, since there are plenty of ugly and visibly deformed mutants who do have to endure this, but they are mostly used as joke characters while the beautiful people get most of the shine.
    Part of the franchise's appeal is the escapism it offers to minorities. The promise of finding your own diverse family, living with them in harmony despite differences, in an idyllic little paradise full of futuristic possibilities. Most of the X-Men being conventionally attractive also plays into that appeal. That's why relocating to a hellish location like Limbo misses the point. To a lesser extent, giving up privacy and being in the middle of Central Park like tourist attractions misses the point too.

And of course, there should be no insistence that the majority of them have to be white as well for the appeal to work, otherwise it ends up implying an unfortunate and disturbing message. The very thing X-Men stand against. They could also do with challenging the conventional standards of beauty through the franchise if they ever wanted. It doesn't have to be just Maxim models or freak shows. Mix it up a little, or a lot.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 01-29-2018 at 03:05 AM.

BANNED

In the most minor and lazy way accessible for fans. Storm is Marvel's answer to wonder woman but the x office has been treating her as a joke for a decade. Getting minor push for the sake of avoiding the larger issues only underscores the point of this thread.

BANNED

Monet is still black and so is sunspot by the way.
    There has been other black female mutants over the years( frenzy,reyes,angel,bling,oya etc..)not just storm as you know.
    They have not been push as much as storm but they have been shown.
    The treatment of black mutants by the x-office is another matter but just like white ones black ones will die.
    It happens less then white ones but if white mutants could die expect the black ones to die too.
    That's the way it is and nothing will change that.

I don't think so.
    I think there is more black mutants then east asian ones from the lists i have seen over the years,it's just alot are in limbo,but alot white and asian ones too are in limbo.
    There have alot black mutants and asian mutant created over the years too but not as fast as the white ones but they still being created.
    There is only going to be certain amount of mutants getting a focus in books at a time like you see other characters in g.i.joe and transformer books.

You see more white ones because in america where marvel focus is just like dc comics is mostly white.
    Anyway black mutants are still being created,maybe not male ones as fast as the female ones but it's happening.You could say the the same for east asian ones.

The treatment of black mutants by the x-office is another matter.

The issue of those getting killed off and coming back as fast as the white mutants ones is another issue,but if whites could die then black ones will die too.
    These are just the cold hard facts.

It's to be expect and it's a waste of time to complain about it.

I don't think Black mutants have died in awhile anyway so maybe something is happening there,but once in awhile still it's going to happen.

That's my other point.
    There should be no double standards as well and still has noting to do with race or cheap drama since black mutants are still being created.
    Black mutants are not being created as fast as the white ones but it's happening.
    It's not happening since the last one was Triage so what are you talking about?

There has been a moratorium on creating new adult X-men for the last seven years. The last one was Dr. Reyes. So again what are you talking about?

All you have done in this thread is state an unsubstantiated opinion and called it facts. Do you have anything to back this up?

Also you keep making this point that minority creation is different from minority treatment. They are not separate like you claim but are part of how the x office treats it's minority characters, not just students but actual X-men..
    Last edited by Chaos Reigns; 01-29-2018 at 10:07 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The X-Men and millions of mutants just got gassed to death by a bunch of racists slave owners (Inhumans). The terrigen mists didn't cared if you're black or white or latino or Asian, they killed everyone indiscriminately, it killed cyclops, one of the most prominent Caucasian mutants in the X-Men. Before that they got genocided by the Scarlet Witch and the 52 states initiative literally outlawed mutants and declared their existance illegal in America and they had to run to an island or get sent to camps, they also got attacked by the dark avengers, vampires, the real avengers, the government, the purifiers, the sentinels, and the Inhumans. So don't you dare say that the X-Men aren't trying to survive in a cruel world, because just until very recently they've been prosecuted and oppressed by everyone you could think of, and it didnt matter whether they were black or white, because being a mutant means having a big target on your head and a death sentence of sorts. That's why mutants are oppressed altogether, Caucasian or black, Asian or latinos.

BANNED

Part of the franchise's appeal is the escapism it offers to minorities. The promise of finding your own diverse family, living with them in harmony despite differences, in an idyllic little paradise full of futuristic possibilities. Most of the X-Men being conventionally attractive also plays into that appeal. That's why relocating to a hellish location like Limbo misses the point. To a lesser extent, giving up privacy and being in the middle of Central Park like tourist attractions misses the point too.

And of course, there should be no insistence that the majority of them have to be white as well for the appeal to work, otherwise it ends up implying an unfortunate and disturbing message. The very thing X-Men stand against. They could also do with challenging the conventional standards of beauty through the franchise if they ever wanted. It doesn't have to be just Maxim models or freak shows. Mix it up a little, or a lot.
    The shops and tech are nice touches but it wasn't escapism that brought me and got me to stay. It was love, love for the characters, love for their world, love for each other. They used to jump off the page, it was always more than simple escapist fair. Unlike the avengers they cared about people and did stuff that was more than punch out the bad guy. They inspired. That hasn't been true for at least a decade.

Not to mention most of the white characters have been around for so long that an impact is felt when they are killed off (Jean first sacrificed herself in DPS near 20 years after her debut in comics). That leads to more effective storytelling and also a desire among fans to want to see that character return.

Compare that to Thunderbird's death mere months after his introduction. Synch's death after a few years of his short lived comic book existence, when he was just beginning to grow in popularity. The infamous depowering on M-Day and the subsequent bus explosion killing tons of new, exciting kids (most of them POC).

POC characters aren't given the choice to catch on before their deaths. That's a privilege only most white characters can enjoy, and then afford to have events surrounding their death fueled by the popularity they have accumulated over the decades.
    Thank you!!!! As i was reading it occurred to me that out of the original Generation x who is still heing used??? Well....whitewash Monet, Husk white girl, Jonathan white guy, jubilee asian girl!??? Stranve that the three males of color are dead or good as, Mondo Polynesian guy, Skin hispanic guy and my fav...Synch! Lol, heck if you want you can throw on both of the Bedlam brothers, Tag, Prodigy...made gay for whatever reason.

Astonishing Member

I like the idea of having Beast with the Avengers or in a space station with Abigail Brand, Nemesis and Rao in a San Francisco based book, and Prodigy as the main science guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    The shops and tech are nice touches but it wasn't escapism that brought me and got me to stay. It was love, love for the characters, love for their world, love for each other. They used to jump off the page, it was always more than simple escapist fair. Unlike the avengers they cared about people and did stuff that was more than punch out the bad guy. They inspired. That hasn't been true for at least a decade.
    It sound cool the way you put it, but it rings hallow if it does nothing more than mirror contemporary society which says ....its all good family long as you look good and/or like us (white)? Of all Sci-fi Fantasy i think Matrix still gave the best concept of inclusive, escapism working for all. I happen to believe that is the reason so many turned on it too. Well weak ass Keanu might have a lil to do with it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    It sound cool the way you put it, but it rings hallow if it does nothing more than mirror contemporary society which says ....its all good family long as you look good and/or like us (white)? Of all Sci-fi Fantasy i think Matrix still gave the best concept of inclusive, escapism working for all. I happen to believe that is the reason so many turned on it too. Well weak ass Keanu might have a lil to do with it.
    Matrix still gave us a white savior trope and the magical negro myth with Morpheus. X-men used to include more than what you are describing. Remember district x or new mutants second edition or stories involving other groups they used to do that in addition to punching Mr. Sinister. They used to have heart.
    Last edited by Chaos Reigns; 01-29-2018 at 12:52 PM.