Page 14 of 77 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

I'm really afraid Bishop will go back to limbo after Astonishing...

My hope is a tweet from Paniccia weeks ago saying he's working on something with Sage and Bishop. I asked him about it today using the xmenmonday hashtag. I hope he replies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    Matrix still gave us a white savior trope and the magical negro myth with Morpheus. X-men used to include more than what you are describing. Remember district x or new mutants second edition or stories involving other groups they used to do that in addition to punching Mr. Sinister. They used to have heart.
    Morpheus was more like an obi wan kenobi than a magical minority, and Keanu Reeves is a quarter Asian

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Morpheus was more like an obi wan kenobi than a magical minority, and Keanu Reeves is a quarter Asian
    I loved the matrix but it was far from perfect.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    I loved the matrix but it was far from perfect.
    What's your perfect movie? Or would you rather have a white guy play Morpheus

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    There is more then you realize.
    Synch,monet,oya,jubliee,psylocke,blink,dawin,sunsp ot,warpath,forge,storm,bishop,sunfire,goldballs,bl ing,reyes,dust,shark girl,angel,mirage/moonstar,armor,karma,frenzy,gentle,Prodigy,triage, rictor,surge and skin.
    There's a difference between just listing off random non-white characters and listing characters that actually caught on. And why is "who's talked about on a thread" equivalent to "a character being popular"?

Skin and Synch are dead. Oya, Darwin, Forge, Sunfire, Cecilia Reyes, Shark Girl, Angel Salvadore, Frenzy, Triage, Surge, and Dust are all in Limbo or downgraded to background/cameo status. Monet, Jubilee, and Prodigy are all in series that are about to end. Blink is a whole different race in her cinematic portrayal (hoping we get to have that conversation in this thread) and I'd hardly call her a "caught on" mutant. In fact, I wouldn't call Gentle, GOLDBALLS, Karma, Moonstar, Rictor, and Warpath characters that "caught on" either.

I hope you're not trying to just troll this thread.
    Last edited by Tycon; 01-29-2018 at 08:51 PM.

I think the only POC that has gotten used consistently in the last decade or so and thus 'caught on' is Monet (PAD -> Bunn -> Strain). Outside of her, maybe Warpath? Everyone else pops up and then leaves for random swashes of time.

I think the X-Office definitely needs to do better and devote more time to develop minority characters more. I get not wanting to force writers to use characters they don't care about, which is partly why I suspect Storm hasn't been written great. they don't care but feel obligated to include her somewhere and thus no stories or development But seriously out of the dozens of background or limbo'd POC mutant characters, there's not a couple that interest them? Come on X-Office. :/

That a parody character like Fantomex has gotten more consistent development is sad.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 01-29-2018 at 09:05 PM.

BANNED

Magneto has gotten some good use, he's Jewish after all

Magneto has gotten some good use, he's Jewish after all
    So is Shadowcat, but the OP was clearly focusing on POC.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns
    All of the POC characters are being mismanaged and abused.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I think the only POC that has gotten used consistently in the last decade or so and thus 'caught on' is Monet (PAD -> Bunn -> Strain). Outside of her, maybe Warpath? Everyone else pops up and then leaves for random swashes of time.

I think the X-Office definitely needs to do better and devote more time to develop minority characters more. I get not wanting to force writers to use characters they don't care about, which is partly why I suspect Storm hasn't been written great. they don't care but feel obligated to include her somewhere and thus no stories or development But seriously out of the dozens of background or limbo'd POC mutant characters, there's not a couple that interest them? Come on X-Office. :/

That a parody character like Fantomex has gotten more consistent development is sad.
    And sometimes, Monet seems to be imagined as a white woman, given how she's drawn & colored om many occasions.
    1713376-m_42_1.jpg
    monet-bigcostume8.jpg

She was also looking pretty bright in the last GenX chapter too.
    RCO015.jpg

So she's a bit of a wild card who goes back & forth. For no reason. Anyone at Marvel who knew her in Generation X didn't have to randomly change her skin tone & features. But for some reason, they felt it necessary. And it's the white version of her that's used for her profile pic on the Marvel site.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-29-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    And sometimes, Monet seems to be imagined as a white woman, given how she's drawn & colored om many occasions.
    1713376-m_42_1.jpg
    monet-bigcostume8.jpg

She was also looking pretty bright in the last GenX chapter too.
    RCO015.jpg

So she's a bit of a wild card who goes back & forth. For no reason. Anyone at Marvel who knew her in Generation X didn't have to randomly change her skin tone & features. But for some reason, they felt it necessary.
    Sunspot too.

Part of why the casting for Roberto in the film is going to be even more annoying, creators and fans that get introduced to him there are really going to think he has no melanin.

BANNED

So is Shadowcat, but the OP was clearly focusing on POC.
    Jews aren't white, therefore POC, they're also oppressed and minorities. It's antisemitism if they're not included in PoC
    Last edited by wano; 01-29-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Sunspot too.

Part of why the casting for Roberto in the film is going to be even more annoying, creators that get introduced to him there are really going to think he has no melanin.
    Monet & Sunspot are really bad with the white-washing treatment. For anything they're in, it's a crap-shot on if they're allowed to be brown / black, or not.

She's not a huge character. But look at Ellie, Deadpool's daughter. When we first met her, she looked like this.
    RCO003_1461957738.jpg

Then after the Original Sin crossover event, she turned into this.
    Ellie-6.jpg
    But she ping-ponged worse than Monet, almost from chapter to chapter. Finally once 2016 vol 4 hit, she was consistently brown in all her appearances.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-29-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Jews aren't white, therefore POC, they're also oppressed and minorities
    Being Jewish is an ethnicity and a religion, not a race. though i guess some people can disagree

They've definitely endured a history of oppression and I can appreciate characters representing them in the comics, but I don't think they've been mishandled by the X-Office as POC.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang
    Monet & Sunspot are really bad with the white-washing treatment. For anything they're in, it's a crap-shot on if they're allowed to be brown / black, or not.

She's not a huge character. But look at Ellie, Deadpool's daughter. When we first met her, she looked like this.

Then after the Original Sin crossover event, she turned into this.
    But she ping-ponged worse than Monet, almost from chapter to chapter. Finally once 2016 vol 4 hit, she was consistently brown in all her appearances.
    Definitely. I think editors need to crack down on this more. There's different artistic interpretations and then there's just ridiculous cases like that.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 01-29-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Jews aren't white, therefore POC, they're also oppressed and minorities. It's antisemitism if they're not included in PoC
    No its not. Kitty and Magneto may be considered a part of a religious minority but they are NOT POC and it isnt antisemitic to say so

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    No its not. Kitty and Magneto may be considered a part of a religious minority but they are NOT POC and it isnt antisemitic to say so
    Yeah, it's more like being Islamic (religion) or Hispanic/Latino (ethnicity). You can be Jewish and various races (including white).

The only one who doesn't think that are white supremacists and besides not taking them seriously, they can't even agree on what being white is anyway.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 01-29-2018 at 09:38 PM.