Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 1044
  1. #16
    Mighty Member Likewater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    Question. Would Americans consider a Spaniard like Empath to be a minority?
    Antonio Bandaras is a Spaniard, but plays Mexicans or other latino's in Hollywood. White in the American world view usually means "Looks like a northern European", not whatever vague racial definition is used on the census.

  2. #17
    Mighty Member Likewater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,257

    Default

    But about racial representations America stunted when it comes to human representation.

    Idie Okonkwo....Idie I believe is an Islamic name, Okonkwo is Igbo whom in modern Nigera often find themselves at odds with the Islamic Hausa (primarily) or Fulani (the former rulers of the northern Nigerian Sokoto Caliphate), and is code named Oya a Yoruba Orisha/godess.

    The Igbo who got off bad when they tried to form Biafra in the 80's, they thought the sort of christian Yoruba would side with them against the Islamic Hausa. But the Yoruba sided with the Hausa and the Igbo were badly defeated, and starved. all in the 1980's.

    Just type in Yoruba-Igbo movies and you get the nollywood equivalent of guess who's coming to dinner.

    Why is Idie Okonkwo, named what she is named. Okoonkwo is the protagonist of "Things Fall Apart", and Igbo gods are incredibly specified to an area not unlike Japanese god of mountain _____. Yoruba Orisha are simply better known to the west because they are not dissimilar to western panthions such as the Asier or Olympians.

    I mean, I suppose Jubilee is Han Chines, but nothing has ever been stated. I don't even think her heritage has been addressed besides "Parents from China".

  3. #18
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    This is a media problem in general. No matter then genre or venue, the white character or people get most of the attention, praise and push. And the minorities...not so much.

    Society in general has done a big regression with race. You saw more diversity in the 70's than you do today. lol

    Like black female characters not being allowed to have anything other than straight or wavy hair. Then the curls and braids get reserved for the ugly villainous black women. lol

    Not an Xample, But the 70's, you had the interracial coupling of Danny Rand x Misty Knight.
    Attachment 61203
    A dark-skinned attractive black woman with natural hair. Dating a white guy on top of it. You don't see much of that today. And Hell Misty & Danny were finally broken up for good, and I don't think their relationship got any attention except the Secret Love story in 2015.
    I actually bought Secret Love just for Danny/Misty. I thought it was a good, if not great, depiction of their relationship and I rather enjoyed their continuing friendship with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, as well as the friendship between their respective daughters. (Seriously, Danny and Luke both named their daughters after each other --- Danielle Cage and Lucy Rand-Knight.) Gushing about Danny/Misty and the Danny/Luke "bromance" aside, I do agree that society has definitely gone backwards when it comes to attitudes on race and about people of color, largely due to the growing backlash against so-called "political correctness," which is, ironically, the politically correct way of saying that some people just can't bring themselves to see other people who don't look, think, believe, or live like them as worthy of the same level of respect and acknowledgement as them.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  4. #19
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Also the new New Mutants team being all-white is gross.
    Karma is the leader and Rictor is Hispanic.

  5. #20
    Astonishing Member Silver Fang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackandal View Post
    Karma is the leader and Rictor is Hispanic.
    Check the April Solicits thread. That debate is already happening. lol

  6. #21
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,385

    Default

    Don't be surprised if in a predominantly white country whites get more attention

  7. #22
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Miami... the good one.
    Posts
    4,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackandal View Post
    Karma is the leader and Rictor is Hispanic.
    You do know you can be Hispanic and still not be a person of color, right? Being Hispanic is akin to being from Florida. There's no distinct "look". Its more cultural than anything else. Mostly depending on what Hispanic country we're talking about...
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

  8. #23
    Astonishing Member Silver Fang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I actually bought Secret Love just for Danny/Misty. I thought it was a good, if not great, depiction of their relationship and I rather enjoyed their continuing friendship with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, as well as the friendship between their respective daughters. (Seriously, Danny and Luke both named their daughters after each other --- Danielle Cage and Lucy Rand-Knight.) Gushing about Danny/Misty and the Danny/Luke "bromance" aside, I do agree that society has definitely gone backwards when it comes to attitudes on race and about people of color, largely due to the growing backlash against so-called "political correctness," which is, ironically, the politically correct way of saying that some people just can't bring themselves to see other people who don't look, think, believe, or live like them as worthy of the same level of respect and acknowledgement as them.
    Yeah, that's why I read Secret Love too. I loved everyone's dynamic and friendship. And I agreed with Luke that peanut butter should never be crunchy. lol

    Only thing I hate is the story was too short (for me) and I wished it's what happened with 616 Misty & Danny, whom we don't see anything of these days. And surprise, surprise, the tv shows omitted their relationship completely. Instead Misty got with Luke, and Danny is with Colleen. Hmmmm

    Marvel is just another example of it. These days, there is a bias with POC. In real life, and even some cartoons, you have character that are supposed to be black or mixed-black. But they can't be too black-looking.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-25-2018 at 03:29 PM.

  9. #24
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    But about racial representations America stunted when it comes to human representation.

    Idie Okonkwo....Idie I believe is an Islamic name, Okonkwo is Igbo whom in modern Nigera often find themselves at odds with the Islamic Hausa (primarily) or Fulani (the former rulers of the northern Nigerian Sokoto Caliphate), and is code named Oya a Yoruba Orisha/godess.

    The Igbo who got off bad when they tried to form Biafra in the 80's, they thought the sort of christian Yoruba would side with them against the Islamic Hausa. But the Yoruba sided with the Hausa and the Igbo were badly defeated, and starved. all in the 1980's.

    Just type in Yoruba-Igbo movies and you get the nollywood equivalent of guess who's coming to dinner.

    Why is Idie Okonkwo, named what she is named. Okoonkwo is the protagonist of "Things Fall Apart", and Igbo gods are incredibly specified to an area not unlike Japanese god of mountain _____. Yoruba Orisha are simply better known to the west because they are not dissimilar to western panthions such as the Asier or Olympians.

    I mean, I suppose Jubilee is Han Chines, but nothing has ever been stated. I don't even think her heritage has been addressed besides "Parents from China".
    I think that is just ignorance or luck of research when creating a new character. I am sure Shinobi Shaw was named that for the videogame.

  10. #25
    Mighty Member Likewater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Don't be surprised if in a predominantly white country whites get more attention
    Not entirely true.

    Rudyard Kipling(British Imperial), Ron E. Howard ( American) and Edgar Rice Burroughs (American), might have not always been the most flattering of non white characters but they never wrote as if people of color did not exist. and these are pre WW1 writers. Hell these guys even recognized where imperial powers got their resources from, and who they oppressed to get it.

    I can understand the predominantly white countries have predominantly white characters if their creators came from traditionally isolationist or isolated societies, not from resource hogging empires who set up race based cast systems.

    one is ignorance the other is will full blindness.

  11. #26
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Miami... the good one.
    Posts
    4,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Don't be surprised if in a predominantly white country whites get more attention
    I think the point here isn't "who's seen more" than it is "who's been seen less and less" along with being changed. But this goes beyond comics. Hollywood has gotten more diverse, if not somewhat forced. Every new black actor that gets attention seems to be of actual African descent, very dark. Almost as if they are overcompensating. It's not just America either. Look at the Spanish-speaking TV channels. How often do you ever see darker or just straight-up black actors or hosts on those channels. Marvel seems only interested in changing things with a heavy hand. Not by hiring writers of color because they are good writers, but because they are black, or hispanic or homosexual. And then assigns them to a book that matches that factor. It's shortsighted and damaging. Somewhat insulting to say that if your not "X" you cant write "X". To squash anyone that may try to attack me for my "insensitive", "out of touch", or "racist" views, I'm a black man myself. 1st gen Jamaican-American from Miami, Florida. My twitter handle is right there below my name.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

  12. #27
    Mighty Member Likewater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    I think the point here isn't "who's seen more" than it is "who's been seen less and less" along with being changed. But this goes beyond comics. Hollywood has gotten more diverse, if not somewhat forced. Every new black actor that gets attention seems to be of actual African descent, very dark. Almost as if they are overcompensating. It's not just America either. Look at the Spanish-speaking TV channels. How often do you ever see darker or just straight-up black actors or hosts on those channels. Marvel seems only interested in changing things with a heavy hand. Not by hiring writers of color because they are good writers, but because they are black, or hispanic or homosexual. And then assigns them to a book that matches that factor. It's shortsighted and damaging. Somewhat insulting to say that if your not "X" you cant write "X". To squash anyone that may try to attack me for my "insensitive", "out of touch", or "racist" views, I'm a black man myself. 1st gen Jamaican-American from Miami, Florida. My twitter handle is right there below my name.
    They are not overcompensating they are preparing.

    Nollywood makes more movies that Bollywood, yes most of them are hammy and Shot on $#ittieo (Unflattering way of saying shot on video), but Hollywood does not want to get locked out of Africa like they got locked out of India. The Indian subcontinent has their own movie culture that developed very differently from western ones because the west did not cater to them. Let me tell you Star War is never going to beat Dhoom in the Indian market.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhoom_(film_series)

    If Hollywood loses Africa like they lost India, they will go from being global to provincial as the European film industry.

    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-afr...ake-ebola-film

    The film industry in rapidly changing and most westerners Black and White are blind to the vast demographics shift Hollywood sees on the horizon.

  13. #28
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Miami... the good one.
    Posts
    4,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    They are not overcompensating they are preparing.

    Nollywood makes more movies that Bollywood, yes most of them are hammy and Shot on $#ittieo (Unflattering way of saying shot on video), but Hollywood does not want to get locked out of Africa like they got locked out of India. The Indian subcontinent has their own movie culture that developed very differently from western ones because the west did not cater to them. Let me tell you Star War is never going to beat Dhoom in the Indian market.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhoom_(film_series)

    If Hollywood loses Africa like they lost India, they will go from being global to provincial as the European film industry.

    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-afr...ake-ebola-film

    The film industry in rapidly changing and most westerners Black and White are blind to the vast demographics shift Hollywood sees on the horizon.
    Wow. Never looked at it that way... doesn't really make it better as it turns people in assets lol. Very informative.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

  14. #29
    Incredible Member ButterRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    828

    Default

    The X-editorial team is a complete boys club, and they micromanage the writers who try to tell good stories. Why do the Avengers get writers like Ta-Nehisi Coates, Saladin Ahmed, and G. Willow Wilson, who get creative control, but the X-Men are still stuck with a straight, white male boys club with editors AND writers?

    Fans really need to speak up about this.

    The x-editors need to just give it up. X-comics have been trash the past decade, and look what we have ...

    Storm - spineless and useless

    Jubilee, Monet - turned into VAMPIRES!

    Bishop - only used for stupid plot points, like Messiah CompleX, then thrown away






    Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    This is a big problem with the X-Men today. An all white, straight, male (predominately) team doesn't work with the premise of the series. The X-Men doesn't feel progressive like it once did.
    Well if you look at the makeup of the X-Men editorial AND writers, it's full of straight white men with the occasional white woman thrown in there!
    Last edited by ButterRum; 01-25-2018 at 03:49 PM.

  15. #30
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Miami... the good one.
    Posts
    4,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ButterRum View Post
    The X-editorial team is a complete boys club, and they micromanage the writers who try to tell good stories. Why do the Avengers get writers like Ta-Nehisi Coates, Saladin Ahmed, and G. Willow Wilson, who get creative control, but the X-Men are still stuck with a straight, white male boys club with editors AND writers?

    Fans really need to speak up about this.




    Well if you look at the makeup of the X-Men editorial AND writers, it's full of straight white men with the occasional white woman thrown in there!
    Well until recently one of the main X-Men editors was an Asian gay man. Daniel K, got fired mind you, but he was there for a while. I think most of the micromanaging comes from a higher point than the editors. They seem to be more of the caretakers of the writing staff... the ones that have less power and influence anyway.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •