Page 25 of 77 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    There is no issue. I tried looking. Saladin Ahmed didn't even say she's African descent; he just said 'he wants to explore her Bahamanian culture'.

Last resort is to ask Scott Lobdell and Joe Mad.
    I'm half Bahamian... While I can say no, not everyone there is black, the vast majority are. Because you know... Africans were shipped there a few hundred years ago for uh, "vocational training". About the same as my other Jamaican half, except Jamaica is even more diverse as a people but still, vast majority is black as it is with most Caribbean islands. But if a creator says she's from an isle down there (well, here for me, I'm in Florida), while there's chance she can one of many ethnicities, chances are she's either African, Latino, or some combination or the two.

In the Caribbean you can find in various amounts depending on the isle, not including tourists and people who relocated; African, Latino, European, Asian and Indian. You also have Natives (also called West Indians) that were there originally. Looking at Blinks last name, I doubt she's Latin, Asian or Indian. Her last name is west European so it's most likely from a white family or a black family that received the last name from the white family that owned them before being given freedom, by I believe, the British government? Oh well... That's all.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    I'm half Bahamian... While I can say no, not everyone there is black, the vast majority are. Because you know... Africans were shipped there a few hundred years ago for uh, "vocational training". About the same as my other Jamaican half, except Jamaica is even more diverse as a people but still, vast majority is black as it is with most Caribbean islands. But if a creator says she's from an isle down there (well, here for me, I'm in Florida), while there's chance she can one of many ethnicities, chances are she's either African, Latino, or some combination or the two.

In the Caribbean you can find in various amounts depending on the isle, not including tourists and people who relocated; African, Latino, European, Asian and Indian. You also have Natives (also called West Indians) that were there originally. Looking at Blinks last name, I doubt she's Latin, Asian or Indian. Her last name is west European so it's most likely from a white family or a black family that received the last name from the white family that owned them before being given freedom, by I believe, the British government? Oh well... That's all.
    Yes. Being from Trinidad I know all of this.
    My points are: (1) assuming ethnicity based on nationality is stupid and (2) no one has provided any evidence stating Clarice was of African descent before 2018.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

My points are: (1) assuming ethnicity based on nationality is stupid and (2) no one has provided any evidence stating Clarice was of African descent before 2018.
    Ahh, your name makes more sense now. Well, yeah. Said the same thing earlier in this thread when people were using place of birth as a minority.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 02-06-2018 at 08:23 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

*slides back in to show solidarity with my fellow Caribbean brothers and sisters*

Re: Blink's last name... I know many people of visibly East Indian descent who have British last names. I'd argue that her last name can't be used as a factor to discern her 'true' ethnicity since she can easily have African, white, native Caribbean, East Indian, etc. ancestors. We have to see how she self-identifies.

The great UncannyX-Men.net lists Blink #1 [possibly Exiles v1 #1] as the first mention of her Bahamian heritage.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    *slides back in to show solidarity with my fellow Caribbean brothers and sisters*

Re: Blink's last name... I know many people of visibly East Indian descent who have British last names. I'd argue that her last name can't be used as a factor to discern her 'true' ethnicity since she can easily have African, white, native Caribbean, East Indian, etc. ancestors. We have to see how she self-identifies.

The great UncannyX-Men.net lists Blink #1 [possibly Exiles v1 #1] as the first mention of her Bahamian heritage.
    I forget where it came from. But there was a panel that showed Blink's Grandfather, or Great grandfather. He was white. Many black people can, and do have white ancestors. So we got something there. My grandfather's dad was half-white. But my grandfather still identifies as black. Obama is mixed, but identifies as black. Least I think he does. He'll always be listed as the first black president, rather than the first mixed president.

So, again, I can easily see Blink as mixed, but more heavily black, given the art on her in the book where they have given her more stereotypical features. Plus the addition of another black character with Valkyrie. I am not familiar with her, but hear her mainstream counterpart is white. If that's the case, they have her black here when joining Blink. So given the additions of more black characters along side Blink, plus the changes with Blink's features, it does seem to be going in the direction of her being tied a bit closer to the black side of her family. And yes, all of this is new territory that hasn't really come up with her.

But we'll see. I think it was said that her Bahamian roots would come up, and be addressed in this book. So any confirmation will probably be saved for the book.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-06-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Astonishing Member

A couple of black characters who have been in Limbo for decades are Goblyn and her sister Laura. I am sure those characters were the inspiration for the Monet family and Penance.

-----Goblyn has an enormous skull, claws and hooves, and generally appears as her namesake. She was almost terminated as a fetus because her parents did not want to have a mutant child. It was obvious she was going to be a mutant because of her physical form. Even as a fetus her twin sister, Laura, was somehow able to save her by using her own power to open portals to send Goblyn to another dimension ("Liveworld"). At first, the two never met, and Laura unknowingly manifested her power to change places with Goblyn whenever she was extremely afraid.[1]-------

Two sisters that for years were wrongly assumed to be the same character, only 1 person, one could open interdimensional portals, the other was a lot like what Penance would be
    And Lobdell (the first writer of Gen X) knew of Goblyn and her sister because he had been years earlier an Alpha Flight writer

pathway1-4.jpg

BANNED

Lol its a bit sad that misuse of fictional minority characters is a very real problem in a franchise that built it's reputation on the exploration of mutants as a hated and feared minority. As I'm sure someone has already mentioned, this glaring problem only further highlights why the mission statement rings kinda false. This thread is beautiful.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Lol its a bit sad that misuse of fictional minority characters is a very real problem in a franchise that built it's reputation on the exploration of mutants as a hated and feared minority. As I'm sure someone has already mentioned, this glaring problem only further highlights why the mission statement rings kinda false. This thread is beautiful.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    You never cease to amaze me. Your posts have a way of making me look at things differently. You've truly been a welcomed addition to the forums. Keep it up, luv. Nobody does it like you do.

There are probably Asian Bahamians so...
    And they definitely have hair like that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    You never cease to amaze me. Your posts have a way of making me look at things differently. You've truly been a welcomed addition to the forums. Keep it up, luv. Nobody does it like you do.
    I will definitely try.

Staying on topic they should bring back Thunderbird III. At least for one story arc.
    Neal doesn't need the X-Men now that he's probably a high falutin' Bollywood action star.

BANNED

I prefer nationality than race. Filipinos are not black nor white though we come in both skin colors darker than black and lighter than black, but we're usually called the brown race.

Im not really asking for it but when people are complaining of underrepresentation, then i would say that im asking for a filipino mutabt too that will be a major member of the team. Filipinos may be asian but asia is a huge country with different cultures and more. If they put an asian member to a team, i really dont feel represented especially that they usually give chinese or japanese eyes for asian characters. We dont have those kind of eyes but yeah some filipinos do. However a typical filipino has round eyes. We're not really asking for brown skin color cos we have white skinned filipinos too. So skin color is not a problem. And the fact is, whitening products are very popular here in our country. But again, we dont really complain about skin color. Most of our local celebrities are lighter skinnedand we're ok with it. In Philippine Basketball Association, we are also fine if there are basketball players who have mixed races and dont really look like filipinos at all. Even our Azkals soccer team have players who doesnt look like filipinos at all.

So, ill be actually fine whatever skin color will Marvel make for a filipino mutant for as long as he/she is stated a filipino and has pure filipino parents.

BANNED

Also, xmen comics dont seem to represent Christians which i believe is the biggest religion in the world, maybe we could at least see somebody saying he/she is going to church. Or a cross on some walls inside the mansion, or somebody mentioning a verse.

I hope Kurt does that again. But i hope there are more xmen who are doing Christian stuff too.

DVOZwjbXUAA4VhK.jpg

Sure,Jan..
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡