Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

I'll have to agree that the representation of what Americans deem 'minorities' in the X-Men is underwhelming these days. I hope Trinary enjoys her spotlight while it lasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    New X-Mec comic, X-Men:White, lol. Pretty white people with problems, LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Well until recently one of the main X-Men editors was an Asian gay man. Daniel K, got fired mind you, but he was there for a while. I think most of the micromanaging comes from a higher point than the editors. They seem to be more of the caretakers of the writing staff... the ones that have less power and influence anyway.
    That's one gay Asian man or one white woman in a sea of stubborn white men.

Yes, the x-editorial includes the editors, the publishers, and the people with the creative control.

Also, I know people who have worked in the X-Men offices, and they say it's toxic as hell and low ass pay.
    Last edited by ButterRum; 01-25-2018 at 04:00 PM.

I like Marjorie Liu's writing .. why can't she write X-Men: Gold? She did write Astonishing X-Men, but the editors gave her shitty D-list characters, except that one gay marriage issue lol (even then, Northstar and the-boyfriend-whose-name-I-cant-remember aren't very popular characters). If Marvel wants to let minority writers write comics, they need to let them write the A-listers, too, in leading book titles.

Kathryn Immonen is also a GREAT writer... she wrote some great issues when the X-Men were being written badly, yet Marvel gave her a couple miniseries to work on. Why can't she write one of the prime X-Men books, too?
    Last edited by ButterRum; 01-25-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I'll have to agree that the representation of what Americans deem 'minorities' in the X-Men is underwhelming these days. I hope Trinary enjoys her spotlight while it lasts.
    Well that's one of the problems, isnt it? Trinary is another new character of color, great. But there are so many that just get shuffled away that they are forgotten before long. The more developed a character is, the more useful and important they are in long run and grander scheme. So instead of developing a character that already has an established following or fanship, they start from the ground up? It's kind of an uphill battle. An unnesessary one at that. I think it damages more than helps.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ButterRum View Post
    I like Marjorie Liu's writing .. why can't she write X-Men: Gold? She did write Astonishing X-Men, but the editors gave her shitty D-list characters, except that one gay marriage issue lol (even then, Northstar and the-boyfriend-whose-name-I-cant-remember aren't very popular characters). If Marvel wants to let minority writers write comics, they need to let them write the A-listers, too, in leading book titles.

Kathryn Immonen is also a GREAT writer... she wrote some great issues when the X-Men were being written badly, yet Marvel gave her a couple miniseries to work on. Why can't she write one of the prime X-Men books, too?
    D-list? While yeah, she had lesser knowns like Northstar, Warbird, Cecelia and Karma, but she also had Wolverine, Iceman and Gambit.

I think the problem with Astonishing wasn't the cast, but her writing in general. Her style is way more introspective and suited for a solo. But an action team book? Not so much in my opinion. It was boring in many places. But I get your point. I see it.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Well that's one of the problems, isnt it? Trinary is another new character of color, great. But there are so many that just get shuffled away that they are forgotten before long. The more developed a character is, the more useful and important they are in long run and grander scheme. So instead of developing a character that already has an established following or fanship, they start from the ground up? It's kind of an uphill battle. An unnesessary one at that. I think it damages more than helps.
    this is true, If they Brought Back Synch for the role at least they could pull in Gen-X fans, same if they used Monet for the role...or Prodigy. But that's a continuing problem. Junior characters are created and scattershot character are created and no one gets focus.

BANNED

I do agree that some of Marvels POC aren't given the recognition they deserve. Bishop, Dani Moonstar, Sunfire and Frenzy all come to mind. They become prevalent characters for a few fleeting moments and then fade into the background again. Writers ought to be developing said characters and integrating them into comic line-ups. I'd love to see Synch back too.

I guess one could argue there's some progress. X-Men Red features Gentle & Trinary. X-Men Blue has Bloodstorm & Daken. That's better than nothing. One thing that always annoys me about Marvel teams in general- be they X-Men, Avengers, Guardians, Defenders etc. is when there's the 'token' person of color or female on the team (ex. Storm in X-Men Gold). I'm hoping Red & Blue have storylines that do cater to said characters, and don't have just have them there without really having a notable role

BANNED

Daken is problematic af. Bisexual and a villain whose powers make it easier to sleep with. It's a stereotype that only feeds into the worst ideas about bisexuals.

BANNED

The X-editorial team is a complete boys club, and they micromanage the writers who try to tell good stories. Why do the Avengers get writers like Ta-Nehisi Coates, Saladin Ahmed, and G. Willow Wilson, who get creative control, but the X-Men are still stuck with a straight, white male boys club with editors AND writers?

Fans really need to speak up about this.

The x-editors need to just give it up. X-comics have been trash the past decade, and look what we have ...

Storm - spineless and useless

Jubilee, Monet - turned into VAMPIRES!

Bishop - only used for stupid plot points, like Messiah CompleX, then thrown away

Well if you look at the makeup of the X-Men editorial AND writers, it's full of straight white men with the occasional white woman thrown in there!
    What stories have you heard about the toxicity level?

I hate it anytime a black character is deprived of their melanin and drawn looking more Caucasian. Im looking at M and Sunspot

Thisthisthis. Liu’s Work on the X-23 series was exceptional, and Immonen absolutely knocked it out of the park with the Wolverine & Jubilee miniseries. Either one of them taking over Gold would be an exponential improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Thisthisthis. Liu’s Work on the X-23 series was exceptional, and Immonen absolutely knocked it out of the park with the Wolverine & Jubilee miniseries. Either one of them taking over Gold would be an exponential improvement.
    Yes, those series were great!

Marvel gave us a diversity hater to write the prime X-Men book!
    Last edited by ButterRum; 01-25-2018 at 06:05 PM.

BANNED

Yes, those series were great!

Marvel gave us a diversity hater to write the prime X-Men book!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

my question for everyone is how do we bring forth the change we want to see? what active things can we do as readers to hold marvel and more specifically the xoffices accountable for this lack of diversity and poor representation of people of color?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    I mean, I suppose Jubilee is Han Chinese, but nothing has ever been stated. I don't even think her heritage has been addressed besides "Parents from China".
    Wow, you know your stuff. I knew Li (Lee) was Mandarin, but I didn’t know it was specifically Han.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.