Page 33 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Asian leads...? You see, that there? Thats what we call a "gimmick". Instead of pigeonholing, why not just make a book with A Asian lead and build from there? Actually build. Everyone in the darn book doesnt have to be "______". Asian, black, gay, women or otherwise.
    Well he uses Asian leads as plural, since he said it's happening in 3 different books that are unannounced.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Well he uses Asian leads as plural, since he said it's happening in 3 different books that are unannounced.
    Still a bit odd. What does he consider "leads". I mean if it's a team, there isn't going to be more than 7-8 to people in it. I suppose he's talking main focus'. But then when he says "Asian", that's almost as broad as saying "American". Because you know... thats not going to stand out like sore thumb. But I stand by the statement even if he's not playing into it. I don't agree with all "________" teams.

It still astounds me that the first "Unity Squad Avengers" was all white except for Shiro who was kinda of pseudo-member. Things like that happening, I can see why creators would jump the gun or over react and give us teams like Brian Woods' all female X-Men team (which isnt that far-fetched but...), or Black Panther and the Crew (so cringey...), or look at comic history notice just about everything revolving around white males and now in reaction to have just about every team book out there led by a woman today (not every, calm down). Not complaining, but I can see why it happens and people feel it should, and then have other folk scared to death to say anything about any of it. Even to point it out. The industry may be yielding some creative control towards becoming more diverse but there are still way too much white-guys (by too much, I mean all) calling the shots and making these decisions that they think are progressive, but in reality is nothing more than lazy pandering in an echo-chamber of "yes-people".
    Last edited by donpricetag; 02-28-2018 at 10:28 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

Let's compare and contrast Storm in black panther and gold. Discuss his Coates doesn't use Misogynoir in writing black women vs Guggenheim.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    Let's compare and contrast Storm in black panther and gold. Discuss his Coates doesn't use Misogynoir in writing black women vs Guggenheim.
    ooh great topic I will share my thoughts once I get off.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Prodigy and Synch were both African American and were on offshoot X-teams.
    Gentle is Wakandan and is currently on Jean's team.
    Maggott was South African and was an X-man.

Sunspot is half-Black. Or at least he was originally intended to be.
    Yeah and where are any of them now ?

so as I mentioned great topic.

coates and all of his effort to write a strong female character in a book where she is the supporting character hasn't gone without controversy and it is because misogynoir has not been central to his storytelling. in bp, coates has tied his story of her being a goddess to what Claremont originally wrote. the main protagonist sought her knowledge and wisdom out based upon an understanding of her origins in Kenya. he then would have the protagonist's people worship and adore her where he himself was not necessarily the most popular. from this worship and belief in her she was able to tap into something she never dreamt or knew she had and it all came from within. with this power she was able to do what not even the strongest make shamans could not. all of this by definition is contrary to the ideals of misogynoir which looks to devalue the experiences of black women.

Guggenheim unfortunately has been the exact opposite. I won't go into highlighting previous issues as that has been discussed enough but i will look at the most recent issue, 25, as a standalone. the issue started with a sense of storm being empowered and capable of making a way under her own, but that was quickly struck down by her cry for help and needing to be rescued by a tool forged from a white patriarchal pantgeon, one that worshipped a god that helped in the pillaging of her native land might I add. she stands up finally against the guards, and the warden. she even was able to undo weather created by the alien god. however, all of that washed away as the ultimate threat she faced could not be faced head on accept with the tool created by a white god. it subtly, but some may argue overtly, highlights the issue that has plagued guggs as a writer for storm. even in a moment where she should and could have shown the brightest he reminded she is nothing without what's, or the white male god tool. it is heavily seeded in misogynoir and a reason why even for all the cute feats and backbone she showed it was not overall a book that I felt best serviced her character.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

If the tool was created by forge or by Blue marvel would you use the same argument?

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    If the tool was created by forge or by Blue marvel would you use the same argument?
    yes im short. misogynoir and it's application isn't limited to white men. black males can perpetuate this too. in this case it's being perpuated by a white male writer. the same isn't true in the book being written by a black man if you want to see it in action read xmen gold from the first issue now, then go read black from it's first issue now , the one written by coates. that should answer all your questions
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 04-04-2018 at 10:28 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    yes im short. misogynoir and it's application isn't limited to white men. black males can perpetuate this too. in this case it's being perpuated by a white male writer. the same isn't true in the book being written by a black man
    Yup, in the black community we have work to do to honor all women better.

Yup, in the black community we have work to do to honor all women better.
    exactly it's not always about white men even though some would like it be as such lol.

BANNED

exactly it's not always about white men even though some would like it be as such lol.
    Yeah and that's the best part because it involves honesty, reflection and change.

Going back to Coates I will give him credit for not just developing a new spin on what a goddesd is but for challenging the x office to write Storm better. He's pushing the envelope giving no quarter in portraying black excellence. The x office needs to take note and do better.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    This is beautiful.

All-New Member

Hello! My name is Naomi and I am currently a student at Duke U! I am doing a research paper on this very topic and was wondering if you would be willing to contribute? My email is: naomil1900@gmail.com

Thank You!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nay_lilly View Post
    Hello! My name is Naomi and I am currently a student at Duke U! I am doing a research paper on this very topic and was wondering if you would be willing to contribute? My email is: naomil1900@gmail.com

Thank You!
    Who is this addressed to?

BANNED

so as I mentioned great topic.

coates and all of his effort to write a strong female character in a book where she is the supporting character hasn't gone without controversy and it is because misogynoir has not been central to his storytelling. in bp, coates has tied his story of her being a goddess to what Claremont originally wrote. the main protagonist sought her knowledge and wisdom out based upon an understanding of her origins in Kenya. he then would have the protagonist's people worship and adore her where he himself was not necessarily the most popular. from this worship and belief in her she was able to tap into something she never dreamt or knew she had and it all came from within. with this power she was able to do what not even the strongest make shamans could not. all of this by definition is contrary to the ideals of misogynoir which looks to devalue the experiences of black women.

Guggenheim unfortunately has been the exact opposite. I won't go into highlighting previous issues as that has been discussed enough but i will look at the most recent issue, 25, as a standalone. the issue started with a sense of storm being empowered and capable of making a way under her own, but that was quickly struck down by her cry for help and needing to be rescued by a tool forged from a white patriarchal pantgeon, one that worshipped a god that helped in the pillaging of her native land might I add. she stands up finally against the guards, and the warden. she even was able to undo weather created by the alien god. however, all of that washed away as the ultimate threat she faced could not be faced head on accept with the tool created by a white god. it subtly, but some may argue overtly, highlights the issue that has plagued guggs as a writer for storm. even in a moment where she should and could have shown the brightest he reminded she is nothing without what's, or the white male god tool. it is heavily seeded in misogynoir and a reason why even for all the cute feats and backbone she showed it was not overall a book that I felt best serviced her character.
    Absolutely spot on post! Don't ever stop telling the truth. Those that don't get it, don't want to get it. Drop the truth in front of them and leave it where they are.