Page 42 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    I'm....not understanding the argument, either. Is WQEF (white queen yaddayadda) trying to say that Cecilia isn't black? Are we gonna have to start fighting trolls saying Bling! or Frenzy aren't black too?

The deep-seeded antiblackness & vile ignorance jumped out.
    this isnt the first time this user has made racially insensitive comments. honestly I'm not surprised.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I'm really not trying to be rude but do you even know what you arguing about? Why do you have issue with people pointing out Celicia is Black when that is absolutely correct?
    I have a problem with characters being stripped down to nothing but their skin color. Is that wrong? and tbh I know i'm replying more out of emotion/reaction

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    I have a problem with characters being stripped down to nothing but their skin color. Is that wrong? and tbh I know i'm replying more out of emotion/reaction
    Except that everyone who commented on Cecilia mentioned she was an Afro-Puerto Rican or Black Puerto Rican. Not one person labeled her as not being Puerto Rican, we simply added another moniker/adjective/identifier to specifically mention that she is Black Puerto Rican.

Why? Because Marvel, and some fans, have willfully ignored other Afro/Black Latino's Blackness.

No one is stripping anyone down to their skin color, or stripping away their minority. It's multi-faceted. We simply want it to be noted and acknowledged, because it's JUST as important as their Ethnicity!

YOU are the one who seems to want to strip characters of identifiers.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    Except that everyone who commented on Cecilia mentioned she was an Afro-Puerto Rican or Black Puerto Rican. Not one person labeled her as not being Puerto Rican, we simply added another moniker/adjective/identifier to specifically mention that she is Black Puerto Rican.

Why? Because Marvel, and some fans, have willfully ignored other Afro/Black Latino's Blackness.

No one is stripping anyone down to their skin color, or stripping away their minority. It's multi-faceted. We simply want it to be noted and acknowledged, because it's JUST as important as their Ethnicity!

and that is important bc as we have seen with Sunspot, the afro side of him has been ignored as he's been whitewashed. Cecilia will be white washed in the NM film. We dont need to see them strip that away from her in the books and start drawing and portraying her as if she isnt a black Puerto Rican. That clarification is important and should be mentioned when it comes to describing her

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    I'm....not understanding the argument, either. Is WQEF (white queen yaddayadda) trying to say that Cecilia isn't black? Are we gonna have to start fighting trolls saying Bling! or Frenzy aren't black too?

The deep-seeded antiblackness & vile ignorance jumped out.
    Not saying she isn't. I'm saying Minority encompasses more than just skin color and asking why the hell it keeps coming back to how a character is drawn rather than putting ANY pressure on the writer or editors to put the words on the page.

Marvel ignores a HELL of a lot more.

How is differentiating between someone's skin color as a Puerto Rican NOT stripping them down to their skin color?

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    this isnt the first time this user has made racially insensitive comments. honestly I'm not surprised.
    Oh honey. Pot to the kettle. Honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    and that is important bc as we have seen with Sunspot, the afro side of him has been ignored as he's been whitewashed. Cecilia will be white washed in the NM film. We dont need to see them strip that away from her in the books and start drawing and portraying her as if she isnt a black Puerto Rican. That clarification is important and should be mentioned when it comes to describing her
    Yes! Finally!!!

Put it in the words as well as the (sometimes) pretty pictures.

WhiteQueenEmmaFrost

From the way I'm reading your posts, your insinuating that I merely want to address Cecilia as a Black woman, and totally ignore her Puerto-Ricaness...when all I want to do is INCLUDE her Blackness...

By adding that she is Black Puerto Rican/Afro Puerto Rican. I am simply trying to make it clear that being Puerto Rican isn't what some think because of the way it's been stereotyped as looking like Jennifer Lopez or Ricky Martin.

Like...I'm not trying to point her out as Black Puerto Rican as if her being Black is less than...I'm just pointing out that Puerto Rican incompasses all skin tones, and that SHOULDN'T be forgotten.

Thank You

I just want to add that this isn't just a thing that happens with Cecilia or Sunspot.

I've seen this with Monet and now Blink. No one is arguing that Blink isn't Bahamian, just that she is Afro-Bahamian. Monet is Afro-French-Algerian. Etc.

It needs to be included, because it's often forgotten, and then disputed or ignored.
    Last edited by PsionicHero; 06-27-2018 at 09:04 AM.

lol Emotion?
    X-Fans can be soooooooo redick
    Buuuuut
    This thread makes me realize how important representation is. How important diversity is in all kinds of different aspects of life. Different folks bring a more rounded accurate voice So I've been more aware when we speak in class on women's issue and no chicks speak up, or no latinx peeps when discussing the ICE or the wall. Etc.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

WhiteQueenEmmaFrost

From the way I'm reading your posts, your insinuating that I merely want to address Cecilia as a Black woman, and totally ignore her Puerto-Ricaness...when all I want to do is INCLUDE her Blackness...

By adding that she is Black Puerto Rican/Afro Puerto Rican. I am simply trying to make it clear that being Puerto Rican isn't what some think because of the way it's been stereotyped as looking like Jennifer Lopez or Ricky Martin.

Like...I'm not trying to point her out as Black Puerto Rican as if her being Black is less than...I'm just pointing out that Puerto Rican incompasses all skin tones, and that SHOULDN'T be forgotten.

Thank You

I just want to add that this isn't just a thing that happens with Cecilia or Sunspot.

I've seen this with Monet and now Blink. No one is arguing that Blink isn't Bahamian, just that she is Afro-Bahamian. Monet is Afro-French-Algerian. Etc.

It needs to be included, because it's often forgotten, and then disputed or ignored.
    Agreed, especially with Monet where some think that because her family has French or Algerian citizenship, it means she can not also be a black. And the comics have not helped with all the times they white washed her. Now you have this great divide with fans who argue on what she is. When she came on the scene in 1994, she was a light brown black girl with full features and curly hair. But as early as Generation X, some artists and colorists seemed to wanna downplay her blackness by making her super light tan, and narrowing out her facial features, in addition to straightening her hair from the original curly she had.

Again Monet can proudly represent her French & Algerian side. But some fans also feel in addition to French & Algerian, she is ALSO a black woman. Some argue she's Arab, but even that isn't one race. I am sure black Arabs exist. Then some think Muslim is a race, which it isn't, and again, there's black Muslims. And there's no argument Monet & Blink may have white ancestors or grandparents, but that's true with everyone. Racial purity is old news. Almost everyone will have black, white, and / or Asian people in their family if the lineage if it's researched enough.

I used her as an example before, but going back to it. Ronda Rousey has a black great grandfather.

But is anyone gonna call this woman black? Probably not, and she probably doesn't identify as such either. lol So we need to stop falling into this pattern with the black characters, and saying they're not black because they had white older relatives, or aren't black based on things that aren't races.

Some have argued about another character who isn't black, but they think she's Egyptian. Ok, that isn't a race. All Egyptian means is a person is a citizen of Egypt.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-27-2018 at 09:21 AM.

BANNED

WhiteQueenEmmaFrost

Thank You

Thank you for clarifying that. I'm sorry, but that's not how it was coming across.

How many times has Psylocke's knife been described as the "focused totality of her powers" ? to the point that it was a joke right....how come we can't get that level of description of the characters? If Cece is Afro-Puerto Rican why can't that be repeatedly mentioned/addressed?

I've seen people comment that "oh the artist/writer said so on twitter/at a panel/etc" but unless it's on the written page in the comic it doesn't count because there's nothing to hold marvel to adhering to that description.

There's a lot of uproar in this thread about how characters are depicted on screen, but if the source material doesn't back up those descriptions it's too easy for hollywood to whitewash the characters.

Thank you for clarifying that. I'm sorry, but that's not how it was coming across.

How many times has Psylocke's knife been described as the "focused totality of her powers" ? to the point that it was a joke right....how come we can't get that level of description of the characters? If Cece is Afro-Puerto Rican why can't that be repeatedly mentioned/addressed?

I've seen people comment that "oh the artist/writer said so on twitter/at a panel/etc" but unless it's on the written page in the comic it doesn't count because there's nothing to hold marvel to adhering to that description.

There's a lot of uproar in this thread about how characters are depicted on screen, but if the source material doesn't back up those descriptions it's too easy for hollywood to whitewash the characters.
    All one needs to do is look at her skin color in order to not white wash her. Marvel doesnt constantly say she's a black puerto rican in the books, but they also dont constantly say she's puerto rican either. The only thing thats consistently portrayed about her in all her appearances is her skin color so some Hollywood casting agent looking at the books for reference has that.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

All one needs to do is look at her skin color in order to not white wash her. Marvel doesnt constantly say she's a black puerto rican in the books, but they also dont constantly say she's puerto rican either. The only thing thats consistently portrayed about her in all her appearances is her skin color so some Hollywood casting agent looking at the books for reference has that.
    Agreed. Honestly look at the characters period, and you can keep them consistent.

Nobody would come along and suddenly start making Logan a black man. I don't think he ever outright said he was white. So they could change him if they wanted, right?

The white characters don't have to say they're white to have their race be consistent. But for some reason, the characters with brown skin have to announce it in the books to avoid being bleached.

Astonishing Member

Darwin is a hispanic character that hasnt appeared since before Secret Wars. His last appereance must have been PAD X-Factor

I'm glad we could clear that up. I was having trouble understanding why we were arguing...

As far as being repeatedly addressed, when it comes to Cecilia I don't think it needs to be. She's always been depicted with cornrows and dark skin. The fact that they cast Alice Braga is ridiculous. Not once, that I can recall has Cecilia been depicted with straight hair or light skin.

I cannot give Fox the benefit of the doubt there. If it was Monet St. Croix, I could because she's been depicted all sorts of shades of light tan to dark brown. So I could honestly put aside that mistake.

I was never really a big fan of Darwin...so I haven't even noticed his disappearance.

I'm glad we could clear that up. I was having trouble understanding why we were arguing...

As far as being repeatedly addressed, when it comes to Cecilia I don't think it needs to be. She's always been depicted with cornrows and dark skin. The fact that they cast Alice Braga is ridiculous. Not once, that I can recall has Cecilia been depicted with straight hair or light skin.

I cannot give Fox the benefit of the doubt there. If it was Monet St. Croix, I could because she's been depicted all sorts of shades of light tan to dark brown. So I could honestly put aside that mistake.

I was never really a big fan of Darwin...so I haven't even noticed his disappearance.
    The only time she didnt have the braids was her first appearnce. Not straight but more of a wavy fro

She had it braided in her next issue and its been that way ever since

BANNED

What is Hollywood given to use as reference material? It's one thing for fans to know every in and out and appearance, but is that what they're going by? And I'm not just talking about Cece...I mean ANY of them. I remember in the commentary for X2 LSD said they were asked "can storm do anything besides lightning?" and that's why they included the tornadoes. Which should just be a "duh" moment for a character named Storm.

I'd really like to know what packet, or guide they're given about the characters instead of the random "read a few back issues"...well...which ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Agreed. Honestly look at the characters period, and you can keep them consistent.

Nobody would come along and suddenly start making Logan a black man. I don't think he ever outright said he was white. So they could change him if they wanted, right?

The white characters don't have to say they're white to have their race be consistent. But for some reason, the characters with brown skin have to announce it in the books to avoid being bleached.

They shouldn't HAVE to say anything, but it would be something to hold their feet to the fire to say "THIS is how this character is supposed to be" as with any other aspect of their character....altho given the shitty editing of late we might be well past that point.