Page 43 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

It's a shame the only surviving X-Statix character is Doop
    It had many good non white characters like Tyke (The Anarchist) or Spike, and Vivisector is imo the best gay marvel character
    I also loved Dead Girl and U Go Girl

1526227874806.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    The white characters don't have to say they're white to have their race be consistent. But for some reason, the characters with brown skin have to announce it in the books to avoid being bleached.
    Paul Mooney warned Dave Chappelle of this very thing lol
    They took Tina Turner
    They took Michael Jackson
    They took Lionel Richie
    ...who else they take...
    They took James Brown...gave him back tho.
    Gah it's soo true!!

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Paul Mooney warned Dave Chappelle of this very thing lol
    They took Tina Turner
    They took Michael Jackson
    They took Lionel Richie
    ...who else they take...
    They took James Brown...gave him back tho.
    Gah it's soo true!!
    lol So true.

Also, honestly, even if the brown characters did say something about their race, or had it acknowledged, it wouldn't change anything. Editorial is just that bad.

For example in Wolverine's story, it was revealed in the 90's that Sabretooth didn't rape & murder Silver Fox in the cabin. She showed up alive, working for Hydra. Still didn't change the fact that writers like Loeb & Gillen come along to retell that Silver Fox story of him raping, and eating her in the cabin when that never happened. It was outright stated Sabretooth's first victim in life was his doctor when he was 9. Gillen comes in with Origins and has him killing his brother when he was 8.

So Marvel editors just don't do their jobs, and we get inconsistent messes like Monet & Sunspot's race, or certain characters' histories. And you would think making sure info is correct before publishing just anything would be done.

And it's especially easy to do when we're talking about a character's appearance. The people who knew Monet appeared in Phalanx Covenant

Why didn't they keep her like that?

What was the point of doing this?

lol

And even worse, what was the point of this?!

Thankfully, I think that was her only appearance in the chapter, and they don't go with that again.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

That seems pretty consistent. They always try to keep her and her sisters lighter than Synch.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    That seems pretty consistent. They always try to keep her and her sisters lighter than Synch.
    Actually, Monet and Synch tend to be the same complexion, and even Synch isn't free from skin lightening.

Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-27-2018 at 04:43 PM.

There's a good joke in that "lighten up" comment from Synch lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-27-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Then there's the skin tampering done with Synch on occasion.

His complexion doesn't change as drastically as Monet, but sometimes he's an obvious darker brown, then he's moved to lighter brown, and that tan on one occasion.

But yeah, due to Monet's fluctuating race / complexion, there are instances she's far away from Synch. lol

So it IS Synch's fault. MAKES TOOOOTAL sense! Unbeknownst to Synch and M.
    Some Reality Warper or Magic user walked by, Ev got *NSYNC with their mutant aura and cursed us with a 'pale' imitation of the real Monet
    lol
    There's a good joke in that "lighten up" comment from Synch lol
    lol oh if only he had been more careful wth his choice of words

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Uh how you figure... here's their first appearance
    20180627_205322.jpg
    They look like they could be HIS Twins lol

I always picture monet as being visibly brown and not darkskin because in each gen x issue the shade of her skins changes and fluctuates from beige to brown to darkskin. And in her first apperence in uncanny x-men 316 she looks visibly brown

uncanny x-men 316.jpg

but she's still lighter than storm in the same issue

uncanny x-men pt2.jpg

and bishop

uncanny x-men 316 pt3.jpg

I can understand why people can have some reservations (antiblackness aside) as to monet being black because she's never been called black in comics and the only source is an allege email of lobdell saying monet is black. But what i do take issue with is people who are completely uneducated about north africa saying monet can't be black because she's algerian when in fact black north africans do exist and aren't a rarity. I also take issue when people say (as I've seen on this forum) claim that monet algerian and muslim identity are "retcons" (I even saw once on this forum people claiming that monet was christian in gen x when in reality her religion was never even mentioned once) and when in fact her algerian origins were mentioned since the first issues of gen x. As for her muslim identity she's been written only by white men except for g willow who's muslim and did her research about algerians so it isn't shocking that she's the only writer that actually tacked monet religious and ethnic identity. And as peter david said in x-factor algeria is a majority muslim country (with a jewish diaspora living outside of algeria) so it isn't really that uncommon to have a muslim algerian.

I think the same. When Monet's character came on the scene, she was clearly brown. Not dark though. She was a light brown girl.

I think she did have cases of going between that & caramel in the same series.

This is just a cover, but she sports that coloring inside the book at some points too.

There's even one instance where her face is caramel and her hand is the light brown color. But it'll take me a min to find it. lol

Really I think Monet should always be brown. I am only against her being depicted as slightly tan or completely fair-skinned. But light brown, dark brown, or caramel is fine, imo. But there was no need to change her light brown complexion anyway.

She was light brown in Phalanx Covenant. Then in GenX she was tan the first few chapters. It gets tricky, so this is arguable. But she didn't quite seem brown

I mean when she has this look.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-28-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    What is Hollywood given to use as reference material? It's one thing for fans to know every in and out and appearance, but is that what they're going by? And I'm not just talking about Cece...I mean ANY of them. I remember in the commentary for X2 LSD said they were asked "can storm do anything besides lightning?" and that's why they included the tornadoes. Which should just be a "duh" moment for a character named Storm.

I'd really like to know what packet, or guide they're given about the characters instead of the random "read a few back issues"...well...which ones?
    And I would have to ask this question-of the issues where Synch, Monet, Sunspot and others get this miscoloring-are those issue of IMPORTANCE or regular issues.

Importance I mean take Civil War 2-something you KNOW will get huge order numbers be it floppy or trade. Meaning the chance of more eyes seeing it be it gloppy, trade or bin diving.

And in Storm's case she was on two tv shows that showed her powers. That was a question nobody should ask.

And are books with Cece in trade?

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    I can understand why people can have some reservations (antiblackness aside) as to monet being black because she's never been called black in comics and the only source is an allege email of lobdell saying monet is black.
    Yeah yeah but white characters don't have to be called white to not to have their race be "confusing" ie Domino
    the people who dont see her and other chars as black are willfully ignoring that aspect of the character
    Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    I also take issue when people say (as I've seen on this forum) claim that monet algerian and muslim identity are "retcons" (I even saw once on this forum people claiming that monet was christian in gen x when in reality her religion was never even mentioned once
    I'm all for more Muslim representation in comics and it's cool M is reppin' multiple minority status (Muslim, Black, Mutant, Woman) and the only reason I think her religion is a recon is cause I loved GenX 24 when the female members talk about their power manifesting and in Ms story she is clearly celebrating Christmas. Not saying Muslims dont celebrate it buuuut We then learn (from Emplate ) it was a lie but still

EDIT: I stand corrected there wasn't a Christmas seen in her flashback but still lil hints that she likely celebrated the holiday...
    Kinda weird Jubilee and not M reminds Emma of not everybody celebrates X-Mas
    20180628_205348.jpg
    And then this
    20180628_204233.jpg

But anyway I was wrong! Glad tho we got some religious diversity and of course it's from our resident "Is she or aint she" Monet St Croix lol
    Last edited by BroHomo; 06-28-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Guess who showed up in Deadpool: Assassin #2?

And rocking some big hair. lol

I don't think we've seen her in a min.