Page 48 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Gimme a break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    He seems to have had tons of plans he never did anything with
    That's exactly what I mean. The reveal was odd. And somewhat unnecessary?
    I assumed Bishop was a black American from a dystopian future. I LIKED that he was a black American, that he was as much as American mutant as the O5 and Rogue. I liked that he was black American mutant, cause America has more than white faces. But then Claremont (or whoever, I don't recall) decided to add an Australian connection... which wasn't bad --but was weird. To me, at least. The Australian connection added nothing to his characterization, and barely factored into his overall story. It's suspicious why it was added at all, and makes me wonder if the authorial intent was 1. to add another connection to the X-Men's time in the outback or 2. to give global representation to a character whose peers all have specific ethnicity.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I assumed Bishop was a black American from a dystopian future. I LIKED that he was a black American, that he was as much as American mutant as the O5 and Rogue. I liked that he was black American mutant, cause America has more than white faces. But then Claremont (or whoever, I don't recall) decided to add an Australian connection... which wasn't bad --but was weird. To me, at least. The Australian connection added nothing to his characterization, and barely factored into his overall story. It's suspicious why it was added at all, and makes me wonder if the authorial intent was 1. to add another connection to the X-Men's time in the outback or 2. to give global representation to a character whose peers all have specific ethnicity.
    isnt bishop a Scott lobdell character? wouldnt it have been him to give him those origins?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    isnt bishop a Scott lobdell character? wouldnt it have been him to give him those origins?
    Bishop was created by Whilce Portacio

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I see I thought lobdell introduced him and created him. thanks so who gave him Australia connects?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Byrne helped. Maybe even Lee and Claremont. I'm pretty sure he was in development before the whole Claremont exile, but maybe not.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I see I thought lobdell introduced him and created him. thanks so who gave him Australia connects?
    Pretty sure the first time that connection was made was in Claremont's X-Treme. The details are expanded upon in X-Men: The Life and Times and Lucas Bishop in 2009.

Lobdell wasnt on the X-books til later. He helped define him, but he didnt create him

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Byrne helped. Maybe even Lee and Claremont. I'm pretty sure he was in development before the whole Claremont exile, but maybe not.
    Possibly as the lines are blurred bc Marvel was in such flux then. The story I always go back to was Portacio creating him bc he wanted a Filipino X-men as there werent many (if any) characters of that descent in comics. Someone suggested he make Bishop black and thats what we got. I dont know if anyone shares credits with him but Portacio spearheaded that

Speaking of which, has there ever been a Filipino X-man? Sucks for Portacio that he missed that with his contribution to X- history and nearly 30 years later, no one has done it
    Last edited by Havok83; 10-23-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Pretty sure the first time that connection was made was in Claremont's X-Treme. The details are expanded upon in X-Men: The Life and Times and Lucas Bishop in 2009.
    Lobdell wasnt on the X-books til later. He helped define him, but he didnt create him

Possibly as the lines are blurred bc Marvel was in such flux then. The story I always go back to was Portacio creating him bc he wanted a Filipino X-men as there werent many (if any) characters of that descent in comics. Someone suggested he make Bishop black and thats what we got. I dont know if anyone shares credits with him but Portacio spearheaded that
    thanks loves..

Astonishing Member

Claremont added Gateway as bishop's grandfather, but didn't change anything else. He was still born and raised in dystopian, future America. Ergo, still American, but with grandfather from Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Claremont added Gateway as bishop's grandfather, but didn't change anything else. He was still born and raised in dystopian, future America. Ergo, still American, but with grandfather from Australia.
    Well, whoever wrote the Life and Times of Lucas Bishop made him born to two indigenous Australian mutants, Kadee and Burnum, who escaped to America just before Australia got nuked. So, while he was born and raised in [a concentration camp in] America, he's Australian by heritage.

Astonishing Member

Well, Claremont didn't do that. I didn't read any of the terrible, character assassination stories. Though, technically still born in dystopian, future American.

Maybe I’m unique that it bothers me. It feels like a sloppy retcon. I should say that I also feel that Pietro, Wanda, and Lorna’s Magneto retcons feel similarly unnecessary. I feel like they’d be stronger characters without the blood relation.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    I hope that bullshit is sarcasm. Aboriginal people have the oldest continuous culture in the world with very little interracial relationships and the last time they were in Africa was 75,000 years ago. If you're going to go THAT far back everyone is Black African
    So now you're getting riled up and arguing semantics

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Ya'll are Kayne MAGA level crazy.
    well ain't that the African calling the Moor Black lol
    Interesting you chose Kayne West in the description of posters in the thread How are people explaining the diverse, layered, variations among the Black races in any way similar to whatever nonsense Kayne West spewing.
    Except maybe Skin color

Can we discuss the ethnicities applied to minority characters?
    Cause the application of Bishop’s aboriginal origin to “flavor” his blackness is confusing and suspicious.
    RIGHt! Darwin... Sunspot, M, Angel Torres
    Are the ones I can think of at the moment but they each have a lil racial "fair" that apparently gives illustrator's free reign to make them whiter than Michael Jackson

I assumed Bishop was a black American from a dystopian future. I LIKED that he was a black American, that he was as much as American mutant as the O5 and Rogue. I liked that he was black American mutan Yet, cause America has more than white faces. But then Claremont (or whoever, I don't recall) decided to add an Australian connection... which wasn't bad --but was weird. To me, at least. The Australian connection added nothing to his characterization, and barely factored into his overall story. It's suspicious why it was added at all, and makes me wonder if the authorial intent was 1. to add another connection to the X-Men's time in the outback or 2. to give global representation to a character whose peers all have specific ethnicity.
    Grrrrrreat post!!
    Possibly as the lines are blurred bc Marvel was in such flux then. The story I always go back to was Portacio creating him bc he wanted a Filipino X-men as there werent many (if any) characters of that descent in comics.
    I get it, buuuuut wasn't Like there were many black AA or otherwise characters in comics in 1991
    Speaking of which, has there ever been a Filipino X-man? Sucks for Portacio that he missed that with his contribution to X- history and nearly 30 years later, no one has done it
    I don't think so which sucks. Having his contribution sullied with Claremonts Crazy Claim suuuuucks just as bad. That wasn't naked Memwasn't until 2006 Deadly Genesis retcon that we had an AAdude on the team. Given the X-Men borrowing from the struggles AA dudes experience in America. not having one of the main teams then another 6 years for Triage to debut....I See you Marvel. and I shiver from the shade of it all

Like Yoga said his parents were from Australia so they'd be like immigrant raising a kid in a new country. And an overwhelming number of kids with immigrant parents grow up drastically different than their American counterparts even more so if you look at AA and AI child rearing difference. So he technically doesn't cut it.
    Well, Claremont didn't do that. I didn't read any of the terrible, character assassination stories. Though, technically still born in dystopian, future American.
    lol Well he was the grandfather of said assassination story

Maybe I’m unique that it bothers me. It feels like a sloppy retcon. I should say that I also feel that Pietro, Wanda, and Lorna’s Magneto retcons feel similarly unnecessary. I feel like they’d be stronger characters without the blood relation.
    Polaris Def....not so sure about the Twins I kinda like their Magneto connection

random notion: What happened to those human characters that Claremont created in the 80s who were initially Caucasian but then some kind of magic warped them into being native american? the name Tom Corsi comes to mind, but there was a woman as well..

Corsi and Sharon Friedlander were both dispatched in an explosion drawn by Peterson. I think it was during X-Cutioner’s Song.

Unceremonious house-cleaning, IMO.