Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I am not completely fine with the idea writers should always have a certain amount of minority representation instead of using whoever they want to use.
    Morrison used Charles Emma Jean Wolverine Scott and Beast. The non white character was Angel, and later Xorn too through retcon.
    It reminds me of Guido saying his codename is Strong Guy because every team has to have a token superhuman strength Strong Guy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I am not completely fine with the idea writers should always have a certain amount of minority representation instead of using whoever they want to use.
    Morrison used Charles Emma Jean Wolverine Scott and Beast. The non white character was Angel, and later Xorn too through retcon.
    It reminds me of Guido saying his codename is Strong Guy because every team has to have a token superhuman strength Strong Guy.
    Morrison, or for that matter any writer is not above criticism. Originally his plan was to get Storm in Emma's position and have her cheat with Scott.

So glad Storm dodged that bullet. Then his one black character was nothing more than stereotypes and sass. I love sass but Morrison didn't always develop his characters well.

Honestly even though I thought his treatment of an all white X-men team was fairly benign it started the trend that white writers have been following ever since. That's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    Morrison, or for that matter any writer is not above criticism. Originally his plan was to get Storm in Emma's position and have her cheat with Scott.

So glad Storm dodged that bullet. Then his one black character was nothing more than stereotypes and sass. I love sass but Morrison didn't always develop his characters well.

Honestly even though I thought his treatment of an all white X-men team was fairly benign it started the trend that white writers have been following ever since. That's the problem.
    I never heard that ... I thought he wanted Rogue.

That would have been a horrible idea to ruin Storm and Jean's relationship like that. Good lord. Bullet dodged.

Astonishing Member

I wish Xorn were a proper Chinese hero like the Collective Man, the Weapon X of China who could destroy earth on minutes with a black hole.
    Collective Man should also be one of the strongest mutants on earth if he can draw strength from the 1300 million Chinese.

IIRC Morrison wanted to use Colossus, not Storm, but he was dead from his suicide to cure the legacy virus. Marvel then had a no resurrection policy, so because of that he gave Emma the diamond form as a Colossus replacement.

BANNED

The problem is people forget that race was always at the center of so many characters. They dealt with it in actual X-men comics. Watching Dani Moonstar's original appearance shocked me. She was allowed to hate white people for the horrible stuff done to her tribe. Storm was born to two black parents and proceed to be the next great leader. At the time that was revolutionary. It still is.

Reading a native man wanting to save the world and fail to do so out of pride bugged me but Proudstar was great. His death had an impact on me. It took 30 years for another black man to show up and feature prominently. Sunspot was a bit of a joke. There X-men have to fix this and they need to stop trying to cater to fans worse instincts.

Astonishing Member

I agree on xmenish ideally being multinational multiethnic and multiracial, including in that also mutants who don't look like standard humans

Recently we saw an illusion of Seamus Mellencamp in the Jean Grey resurrection mini, someone refers to him as lizardman, and in the original UX Jean kinda mocks him asking if Mephisto had a son

Unattractive non human looking xmenish should get better representation too.

Spectacular Member

I agree on xmenish ideally being multinational multiethnic and multiracial, including in that also mutants who don't look like standard humans

Recently we saw an illusion of Seamus Mellencamp in the Jean Grey resurrection mini, someone refers to him as lizardman, and in the original UX Jean kinda mocks him asking if Mephisto had a son

Unattractive non human looking xmenish should get better representation too.
    I'm actually kinda sick of every new mutant being visibly different. Maybe 2 kids could pass as human in Wolverine and the X-Men, same with current Gen X. There should always be a few Nightcrawler characters, but when everyone has a weird look, especially when it's something pointless like Nature Girl's perpetual antlers or Bo's weird face-line-tentacle-things, it feels more like the X-Men are some kind of alien civilization instead of human minorities.

In any case, visible mutations are not a substitute for representation of real visible minorities, which is what this thread is about.

BANNED

I wish Xorn were a proper Chinese hero like the Collective Man, the Weapon X of China who could destroy earth on minutes with a black hole.
    Collective Man should also be one of the strongest mutants on earth if he can draw strength from the 1300 million Chinese.

IIRC Morrison wanted to use Colossus, not Storm, but he was dead from his suicide to cure the legacy virus. Marvel then had a no resurrection policy, so because of that he gave Emma the diamond form as a Colossus replacement.
    That's all true but he also wanted Storm to cheat with Cyclops.

BANNED

What hashtags should we use?

With all the crying about sjw i don't get how all criers keep missing the x-universe. We can all pretend its progressive but the true focus is always about white male or female leaders\core group. I have no need to make an argument about right or wrong of it just the reality. Yes storm is a token fetish character colored brown on paper but never written in a way to allow her social/cultural identification of black or even African. Contemporary x-writers seem to have all learned the skill of writing under the euphemism of diversity but lacking the guts to put weight to it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    With all the crying about sjw i don't get how all criers keep missing the x-universe. We can all pretend its progressive but the true focus is always about white male or female leaders\core group. I have no need to make an argument about right or wrong of it just the reality. Yes storm is a token fetish character colored brown on paper but never written in a way to allow her social/cultural identification of black or even African. Contemporary x-writers seem to have all learned the skill of writing under the euphemism of diversity but lacking the guts to put weight to it.
    You're literally fetishising her right now but your critiques of the current X-men writers and editors aren't wrong.
    Last edited by Chaos Reigns; 01-26-2018 at 02:36 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It's also an interesting sideways look at how trans people are treated, as if they are somehow 'fakers' or 'not really an X/Y' because they started their journey at a different place. Whether Betsy was born Asian or not, she's got not just the body of an Asian woman, but also the memories of that Asian woman (even if most of the killer instincts got filtered back to Kwannon when their brains got somewhat-less-entangled), so she's got at least memories of real-life experiences growing up Asian (and possibly a member of a demon-worshipping ninja assassin cult, so there's also that...).
    Flag on the play. Betsy's situation is in no way comparable to a trans person's experience. I don't care how many of Kwannon's memories she has, watching a person of color's life like a movie and feeling empathy is not the same as actually experiencing it for yourself.

This is especially insulting considering the number of hoops and mental evaluations a trans person has to go through before sexual reassignment surgery, while Betsy was violated and surgically altered against her will.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    so many things wrong with that comic strip.
    first, what does look black even mean? so black females cannot have straight hair? tell that to the many Ethiopian women who's hair is just like that. the idea that black people come in one type of aesthetic is quite absurd.

also, there are many indigenous people of africa who still live in the traditions of their ancestors. just look to the maasai tribe. so the idea of a group of people worshipping a woman with the power of storm wouldnt be far fetched. heck most people in america would probably worship her with that kind of power for that matter.

not sure who wrote this strip but it mostly highlights and augments their ignorance due to their limited world view.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    so many things wrong with that comic strip.
    first, what does look black even mean? so black females cannot have straight hair? tell that to the many Ethiopian women who's hair is just like that. the idea that black people come in one type of aesthetic is quite absurd.

also, there are many indigenous people of africa who still live in the traditions of their ancestors. just look to the maasai tribe. so the idea of a group of people worshipping a woman with the power of storm wouldnt be far fetched. heck most people in america would probably worship her with that kind of power for that matter.

not sure who wrote this strip but it mostly highlights and augments their ignorance due to their limited world view.
    Aaron McGruder wrote that. He's great but wrong on this.