Page 53 of 77 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    http://handaxe.tumblr.com/post/17995...-at-the-end-of

Anon: Is Sebastian Shaw confirmed dead at the end of X-Men Black: Emma Frost? Cause it's time for the new Black King to rule!!

LW: he’s “”confirmed”” dead in that I can say he’s dead and write a scene that ends with Emma literally beating him to death with her bare hands (DIAMOND! FISTS!) but we ALL know that him being dead isn’t going to stop any future writers from using him lmao. so he’s DEAD-dead in that he will absolutely not interfere with Emma’s Hellfire Club leadership but he’s only “dead” in the way that…the moment someone wants to use him for something else, he will probably be back? (I’m just guessing on the latter!)

He’s an interesting character with an rich, tumultuous story that’s gotten darker and deeper, more along the lines of zeitgesty toxic masculinity over the years, so I wouldn’t blame anyone for wanting to yank him out of the “dead, but not DEAD-dead” X-men ether.

Also!! Something I’ve been meaning to say: Emma’s Lord Imperial by default now too! Between Magneto and then the X-men eliminating alllllll of the Hellfire Club leadership, she’s the last one standing and is now in charge of the whole goddamn Illuminati. Someone on twitter pointed this out to me after the comic came out and I wish I had accounted for the truth of it in the script.

Another thing I’ve been dying to say but haven’t because I’m respectful of [[SPOILERS]]: Emma Frost being Black King of the Hellfire Club doesn’t make her evil, it makes the entire goddamn Hellfire Club good.

Chaotic good, mind you, because it’s Emma so **** your dumbass bureaucracy, “Where were you when our babies were burning???”, etc
    So because of "toxic masculinity" Shaw got jobbed out so emma could take over and make the HFC good again. And people wonder why there are no good x-villians anymore. Where were the X-men, mutants in general or even Emma herself when their babies were burning? That is such a B.S line, most if not all of the biggest tragedies that have befallen mutantkind have been perpertrated by other mutants; but that fact is always conveniently overlooked. Guess its just easier to blame the Avengers. Also I hope Williams never writes a major X-book, she is such a over the top Emma fan girl that no other x character would benefit in the face of her undying love for her darling Emma. I see no objectivity in regards to Emma from her, Emma is right everyone else is wrong, Emma should have unlimited power to do anything because its for mutants and because she deserves it. And no matter all the horrible crap she's done over the years, all the people she's hurt it doesn't matter because deep down she's good and if all the dumbass morons just got out of her way everything would be great. I can only that Apocalypse makes a major come back and returns to being a supreme badass. God knows the X-men need a major x-villian like him again. Just keep him away from Emma or he will get jobbed too. Also since this is the minority thread has Emma actually done anything for true minorities in the MU and not just guys who can shoot beams out of their eyes; just wondering?

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    So because of "toxic masculinity" Shaw got jobbed out so emma could take over and make the HFC good again. And people wonder why there are no good x-villians anymore. Where were the X-men, mutants in general or even Emma herself when their babies were burning? That is such a B.S line, most if not all of the biggest tragedies that have befallen mutantkind have been perpertrated by other mutants; but that fact is always conveniently overlooked. Guess its just easier to blame the Avengers. Also I hope Williams never writes a major X-book, she is such a over the top Emma fan girl that no other x character would benefit in the face of her undying love for her darling Emma. I see no objectivity in regards to Emma from her, Emma is right everyone else is wrong, Emma should have unlimited power to do anything because its for mutants and because she deserves it. And no matter all the horrible crap she's done over the years, all the people she's hurt it doesn't matter because deep down she's good and if all the dumbass morons just got out of her way everything would be great. I can only that Apocalypse makes a major come back and returns to being a supreme badass. God knows the X-men need a major x-villian like him again. Just keep him away from Emma or he will get jobbed too. Also since this is the minority thread has Emma actually done anything for true minorities in the MU and not just guys who can shoot beams out of their eyes; just wondering?
    Just a couple points since this whole thing you've written is wrong:

1) Shaw got poisoned, not "jobbed" by Emma.

2) "Where were the X-Men, mutants in general and emma when their babies were burning"???? What? You do know that Emma and 16 MILLION mutants were ON Genosha, right? And the X-Men didn't see a Tri-Sentinel on the way to bomb a nation to dust.....I'm not sure I get your point.

3) "All tragedies from the mutants are perpetuated by other mutants"

>Reverend Stryker isn't a mutant
    >Cassandra Nova isn't a mutant
    >Wanda and Doom aren't mutants
    >Sublime isn't a mutant
    >Purifiers aren't mutants
    >Human Council aren't mutants
    >Bastion and the Nimrod Sentinels aren't mutants

4) The reason ppl **** on the Avengers is because they are Earth's protectors. Yet they consistently let the X-Men and mutants in general get pissed on and do nothing. The X-Men never made that pledge to be Earth's protectors. They protect mutants first, but they are occasionally superheroes.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Just a couple points since this whole thing you've written is wrong:

1) Shaw got poisoned, not "jobbed" by Emma.

2) "Where were the X-Men, mutants in general and emma when their babies were burning"???? What? You do know that Emma and 16 MILLION mutants were ON Genosha, right? And the X-Men didn't see a Tri-Sentinel on the way to bomb a nation to dust.....I'm not sure I get your point.

3) "All tragedies from the mutants are perpetuated by other mutants"

>Reverend Stryker isn't a mutant
    >Cassandra Nova isn't a mutant
    >Wanda and Doom aren't mutants
    >Sublime isn't a mutant
    >Purifiers aren't mutants
    >Human Council aren't mutants
    >Bastion and the Nimrod Sentinels aren't mutants

4) The reason ppl **** on the Avengers is because they are Earth's protectors. Yet they consistently let the X-Men and mutants in general get pissed on and do nothing. The X-Men never made that pledge to be Earth's protectors. They protect mutants first, but they are occasionally superheroes.
    Technically, the X-Men pledged to use their powers to promote peaceful coexistence between mutants and humans by defending not just mutants from bigoted humans and human authorities and institutions out to subjugate, exploit, and/or exterminate them, but also humans from mutant supremacists out to subjugate, exploit, and/or exterminate them. My personal take is that a lot of the problems the X-Men have suffered more recently came from (their writers) losing sight of that ideal or judging it to be less important than just surviving in a world trying to stomp them out, which led to a lot of (understandable) moral compromises that were more damaging to their integrity in the long run.

That said, I do agree with your overall point that while intragroup violence between mutants can and does play a role in the X-Men's struggles, the overall problem is humans' continued genocidal fear and hatred of mutants and how that fear and hatred has been enabled and enacted by human authorities and institutions. I also agree that a major component of that problem is how the non-mutant heroes like the Avengers are somehow unable or unwilling to make a meaningful stand against those authorities' and institutions' perpetual genocidal endeavors against mutants. In that regard, you're very much right; the problem is not with those being oppressed, but those that are doing the oppressing.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

And you just summed up why the X-Books have been lacking and seem on-note for some time now.

The PREMISE of the X-Men started with this "Protecting the World that Fears and Hates them".

The X-Men aren't supposed to be just mutant saviors. They are suppose to protect everyone and by doing so showing the world that mutants are just people with want to be treated like as such.

When the X-Men began fleeing from extinction every year things stop being fun and began getting to preachy and over done.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Technically, the X-Men pledged to use their powers to promote peaceful coexistence between mutants and humans by defending not just mutants from bigoted humans and human authorities and institutions out to subjugate, exploit, and/or exterminate them, but also humans from mutant supremacists out to subjugate, exploit, and/or exterminate them. My personal take is that a lot of the problems the X-Men have suffered more recently came from (their writers) losing sight of that ideal or judging it to be less important than just surviving in a world trying to stomp them out, which led to a lot of (understandable) moral compromises that were more damaging to their integrity in the long run.

That said, I do agree with your overall point that while intragroup violence between mutants can and does play a role in the X-Men's struggles, the overall problem is humans' continued genocidal fear and hatred of mutants and how that fear and hatred has been enabled and enacted by human authorities and institutions. I also agree that a major component of that problem is how the non-mutant heroes like the Avengers are somehow unable or unwilling to make a meaningful stand against those authorities' and institutions' perpetual genocidal endeavors against mutants. In that regard, you're very much right; the problem is not with those being oppressed, but those that are doing the oppressing.
    I cant provide a worthy response rn and I don't want them exclusively saving mutants, but I love them being both a proactive and reactive force for saving mutants, esp mutant kids.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    And you just summed up why the X-Books have been lacking and seem on-note for some time now.

The PREMISE of the X-Men started with this "Protecting the World that Fears and Hates them".

The X-Men aren't supposed to be just mutant saviors. They are suppose to protect everyone and by doing so showing the world that mutants are just people with want to be treated like as such.

When the X-Men began fleeing from extinction every year things stop being fun and began getting to preachy and over done.
    Meh. I think the post-Decimation stories as well as their time on Utopia were really great. Premises change and I'm not saying they shouldn't be heroes, but I said mutantkind comes first. And that's how it should be.

Astonishing Member

I am an Emma fan and I kinda agree.
    The thing you don't seem to notice, is that the character assasination of Shaw (making him more evil than he ever was, someone who slept with women and killed them for fun like old Sabretooth), made Emma weaker. Emma went from being his equal (and probably in the same age group as him), to being a victim of poor Shaw who corrupted her otherwise she would be a nice girl.
    That was a rather recent bad retcon, from around 2009 iirc. And it ended up with Emma commiting her most serious human rights violation at that time, deleting all the memories of Shaw and abandoning him with no memories in Central Asia.
    From that moment on Shaw continuity has been very contradicting, with Marvel not knowing what to do with him.
    First he was an amnesiac reformed villain who only knew about his past from dossiers, and his past horrified him (he was a part of Generation Hope and saved the mutant kids who were detained by the Avengers during AvX), after that he seems to have gone back to the hellfire club, but worked with Magneto and Monet in Bunn's Uncanny, with Rogue, Cable, Deadpool in Duggan's Uncanny Avengers, and with Emma in New Tian (where they got along very well) during Secret Empire, it was never made clear if he ever got his memories back or not, or if he just learned more about his past by reading about it.
    Then suddenly he is the perverted abuser of women of the retcon after almost a decade of not doing anything particularly evil (although Bunn with his Mothervine plot was the first one to make him evil again, and Shaw thought Mothervine was good).

I think Shaw and Emma will continue being contradictory/having bad continuity, they may be very friendly to each other in the next book they are in. You will never know if he got his memories back, or if she changed his mind and manipulating him completely.

I cant provide a worthy response rn and I don't want them exclusively saving mutants, but I love them being both a proactive and reactive force for saving mutants, esp mutant kids.

Meh. I think the post-Decimation stories as well as their time on Utopia were really great. Premises change and I'm not saying they shouldn't be heroes, but I said mutantkind comes first. And that's how it should be.
    Real heroes don't choose one race verse another. To add further the X-Men had some of their most popular years when they did a little of everything. So I have to respectfully disagree.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Real heroes don't choose one race verse another.
    Just being a hero isn't enough. Police arent "heroes" to my community, so we need other venues of support. That's why Rictor is giving shelter and acting as an escape route to runaway mutant children, not runaways in general. That's why there are specific homeless shelters for LGBTQ+ kids, and not just any kid. That whole argument is weird to make on a "Minority Displacement Thread" thread :/

To add further the X-Men had some of their most popular years when they did a little of everything. So I have to respectfully disagree.
    Just because something's popular doesn't mean it's good. And you're saying "when they did a little of everything" but how is that conflicting with what I said? What are you disagreeing with???

Just being a hero isn't enough. Police arent "heroes" to my community, so we need other venues of support. That's why Rictor is giving shelter and acting as an escape route to runaway mutant children, not runaways in general. That's why there are specific homeless shelters for LGBTQ+ kids, and not just any kid. That whole argument is weird to make on a "Minority Displacement Thread" thread :/

Just because something's popular doesn't mean it's good. And you're saying "when they did a little of everything" but how is that conflicting with what I said? What are you disagreeing with???
    It seems that you are saying that the X-Men should mostly just deal with Mutant problems and only help mutants. I'm saying that the group should be about helping everyone and promoting peace, tolerance and every other feel good adjective while they do so. X-Men stories by enlarge have become receptive and the violin they are using as a group has been worn down so much that it only has about two strings left.

On top of which history has proven over and over that the best way to deal with hate is of their nature is by emersion not by exclusion. The X-Men and heroes in general should be promoting that.

Fantastic Member

This Shaw-Emma thing is nothing about gender issue. It just reflects the way how Marvel handled their B/C list characters. In fact, among all X-men characters, only a few of fan favorite/writer favorite will have good treatment. Others are just treated like they are disposables. No development, no consistent personality, they basically do whatever writers want them do to make those A-listers shinning.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I am an Emma fan and I kinda agree.
    The thing you don't seem to notice, is that the character assasination of Shaw (making him more evil than he ever was, someone who slept with women and killed them for fun like old Sabretooth), made Emma weaker. Emma went from being his equal (and probably in the same age group as him), to being a victim of poor Shaw who corrupted her otherwise she would be a nice girl.
    That was a rather recent bad retcon, from around 2009 iirc. And it ended up with Emma commiting her most serious human rights violation at that time, deleting all the memories of Shaw and abandoning him with no memories in Central Asia.
    From that moment on Shaw continuity has been very contradicting, with Marvel not knowing what to do with him.
    First he was an amnesiac reformed villain who only knew about his past from dossiers, and his past horrified him (he was a part of Generation Hope and saved the mutant kids who were detained by the Avengers during AvX), after that he seems to have gone back to the hellfire club, but worked with Magneto and Monet in Bunn's Uncanny, with Rogue, Cable, Deadpool in Duggan's Uncanny Avengers, and with Emma in New Tian (where they got along very well) during Secret Empire, it was never made clear if he ever got his memories back or not, or if he just learned more about his past by reading about it.
    Then suddenly he is the perverted abuser of women of the retcon after almost a decade of not doing anything particularly evil (although Bunn with his Mothervine plot was the first one to make him evil again, and Shaw thought Mothervine was good).

I think Shaw and Emma will continue being contradictory/having bad continuity, they may be very friendly to each other in the next book they are in. You will never know if he got his memories back, or if she changed his mind and manipulating him completely.
    Reading your comment.......I do not feel there was anything contradictory going on. It may be a bad story decision for Bunn to have Shaw go down the road of villainy again, but it's clear that was the way paved for him since he had already gotten his memories back, which you already acknowledge having happened. So why ever question it in any post-Secret Wars? Shaw is still an abusive *******, just with his memories back. He's joined the Hellfire Club in Bunn's UXM, does too much int he IvX tie-ins and gets his ass handed to him by Xorn. It's clear his goals have more to do with satisfying his ego than protecting mutantkind, so there would probably be a lot of money to make off of Mothervine. And Emma and Shaw didn't "get along well" because most of those "interactions" were under the guise that Shaw believed he was serving Xorn, not Emma. But it was clear that Emma at least had a grip on the situation after she revealed herself as the leader, so why wouldn't Shaw follow her into battle. That doesn't mean Shaw still isn't a bad person at heart. You point to Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, and Inhumans vs X-Men as examples of Shaw acting "good", but all those scenarios consistently show that Shaw isn't to be trusted.

Just like Rogue wouldn't work with Shaw and Toad under normal circumstances, I see that Emma would no longer have any reason to stick around with Shaw. To the point of "Emma always being right !!1!!1!!11!" that some users are making, I'm not saying that and I can't really speak for Leah but I don't think she thinks that, either. It's just that Emma needs to be given the same fairness to discussions around nuance, grey morality, and depth like Magneto is. To see that at the heart of all her choices, Emma was not thinking as a hero or a villain, but someone who wanted to protect her children. So the discussion would be better served if we stop expecting Emma's actions to be heroic rather than just survivalist.

It seems that you are saying that the X-Men should mostly just deal with Mutant problems and only help mutants. I'm saying that the group should be about helping everyone and promoting peace, tolerance and every other feel good adjective while they do so. X-Men stories by enlarge have become receptive and the violin they are using as a group has been worn down so much that it only has about two strings left.

On top of which history has proven over and over that the best way to deal with hate is of their nature is by emersion not by exclusion. The X-Men and heroes in general should be promoting that.
    Once again, I am not saying that. Helping and providing service to mutant kids doesn't neglect them from being superheroes. There are 100+ X-Men so I'm sure they can get spread around to do stuff. And inclusion of minorities is not exclusion. Seeking safe spaces to be free to express yourself for who you are isn't "exclusion." History (i.e. success of Stonewall, BPP, HBCUs, GLF) proves both inclusive safe spaces & emersion both work.

Mighty Member

[QUOTE=ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon;4015491]Reading your comment.......I do not feel there was anything contradictory going on. It may be a bad story decision for Bunn to have Shaw go down the road of villainy again, but it's clear that was the way paved for him since he had already gotten his memories back, which you already acknowledge having happened. So why ever question it in any post-Secret Wars? Shaw is still an abusive *******, just with his memories back. He's joined the Hellfire Club in Bunn's UXM, does too much int he IvX tie-ins and gets his ass handed to him by Xorn. It's clear his goals have more to do with satisfying his ego than protecting mutantkind, so there would probably be a lot of money to make off of Mothervine. And Emma and Shaw didn't "get along well" because most of those "interactions" were under the guise that Shaw believed he was serving Xorn, not Emma. But it was clear that Emma at least had a grip on the situation after she revealed herself as the leader, so why wouldn't Shaw follow her into battle. That doesn't mean Shaw still isn't a bad person at heart. You point to Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, and Inhumans vs X-Men as examples of Shaw acting "good", but all those scenarios consistently show that Shaw isn't to be trusted.

And Emma is to be trusted? Say what you want about Shaw, at least he is upfront about who and what he is. He is a villian and thats good, he is not acting like someone he's not. Unlike Emma who plays games, lies and manipulates and asks for help then turns around and betrays those she seeks help from. Shaw was pushed to the side for Emma's benefit, to place her in a position of power. And Shaw who is a great character with tons of potential and the might of the HFC behind him could of been a great antagonist for the X-men going forward. But instead that was all done away with so Emma can be the queen bee. The funny thing is Emma was as complicit in all the shady things the HFC did as much as Shaw, she benefitted from all the resources the club provided. But now she's seen the light, she sat with all the family members and listened to them and decided that she had to take over and make a change; what a load of crap! Did she tell those same club members that their loved ones died because she was being hunted and used them as sacrifical lambs or that she had a hand in all the clubs dirty deeds, of course not. Why would she when she could use their deaths as an opportunity to seize power for herself. Because that's what Emma is, an opportunist. But lets hang the toxic masculinity, abusive, chauvinist label on Shaw. That makes it much easier to cheer and support Emma, after all its canon now that she was just another poor victim of Shaw's abuse and not a willing and equal partner in all his schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi;4015333[B
    ]On top of which history has proven over and over that the best way to deal with hate is of their nature is by emersion not by exclusion[/B] The X-Men and heroes in general should be promoting that.
    What history is that dude??

Reading your comment.......I do not feel there was anything contradictory going on. It may be a bad story decision for Bunn to have Shaw go down the road of villainy again, but it's clear that was the way paved for him since he had already gotten his memories back, which you already acknowledge having happened. So why ever question it in any post-Secret Wars? Shaw is still an abusive *******, just with his memories back. He's joined the Hellfire Club in Bunn's UXM, does too much int he IvX tie-ins and gets his ass handed to him by Xorn. It's clear his goals have more to do with satisfying his ego than protecting mutantkind, so there would probably be a lot of money to make off of Mothervine. And Emma and Shaw didn't "get along well" because most of those "interactions" were under the guise that Shaw believed he was serving Xorn, not Emma. But it was clear that Emma at least had a grip on the situation after she revealed herself as the leader, so why wouldn't Shaw follow her into battle. That doesn't mean Shaw still isn't a bad person at heart. You point to Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, and Inhumans vs X-Men as examples of Shaw acting "good", but all those scenarios consistently show that Shaw isn't to be trusted..
    And Emma is to be trusted? Say what you want about Shaw, at least he is upfront about who and what he is. He is a villian and thats good, he is not acting like someone he's not. Unlike Emma who plays games, lies and manipulates and asks for help then turns around and betrays those she seeks help from. Shaw was pushed to the side for Emma's benefit, to place her in a position of power. And Shaw who is a great character with tons of potential and the might of the HFC behind him could of been a great antagonist for the X-men going forward. But instead that was all done away with so Emma can be the queen bee. The funny thing is Emma was as complicit in all the shady things the HFC did as much as Shaw, she benefitted from all the resources the club provided. But now she's seen the light, she sat with all the family members and listened to them and decided that she had to take over and make a change; what a load of crap! Did she tell those same club members that their loved ones died because she was being hunted and used them as sacrifical lambs or that she had a hand in all the clubs dirty deeds, of course not. Why would she when she could use their deaths as an opportunity to seize power for herself. Because that's what Emma is, an opportunist. But lets hang the toxic masculinity, abusive, chauvinist label on Shaw.
    but Emma stopped dealing with the HFC in the early 90s so that was like almost 30 years ago. Emma trained the Hellions, She helped form Generation X, she's going to headmaster and teacher of young Mutants for years and years and years so yeah she's going to be more trustworthy then a man who tried to kill his own son
    That makes it much easier to cheer and support Emma, after all its canon now that she was just another poor victim of Shaw's abuse and not a willing and equal partner in all his schemes.
    I'm confused about at one point did you start liking Shaw over Emma
    cuz yeeeeeeah it was canon that Emma was an equal and willing participate in the Hellfire schemes
    her recon into being an underling was fairly recent and before Shaw got any sort of characterization other than the son killing, Sentinel backing, villain who likes to wear Silky 18th century clothes

Looking at the solicits for the Age of X-Man crossover got me feeling some type of way lol Ugh it's like almost totally totally all White....
    Marvelous... Has Bald Storm and for some otherworldly reason Nature Girl....*rollseyes*
    NextGen: Only book that features more than one non white X-man on the cover. But only features Anole, Rockslide, Armor,etc
    THE X-TREMISTS: Jubilee... and a white...looking character called Moneta(?) Sooooo much Ugh.OH so much Uggghh.
    Nightcrawler:Kurt(of course) Meggan, Magma, and Kylun all white characters
    Xtracts: *Freaky looking* Mutants with White Kid Apocalypse, Dazzler, Kitty, Blonde for some reason Alive)EyeBoy, with new character (Who looks a LOOOT like idie but whose powers seemingly cause her to appear almost nude)
    Prisoner of X: only book that seems to have a lot of minority Mutants as main characters ...has a black dude in handcuffs on the cover of the first issue lol
    Last edited by BroHomo; 11-21-2018 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Looking at the solicits for the Age of X-Man crossover got me feeling some type of way lol Ugh it's like almost totally totally all White....
    Marvelous... Has Bald Storm and for some reason Nature Girl....*rollseyes* NextGen: Only book that features more than one non white X-man on the cover. But only features Anole, Rockslide, Armor,etc
    THE X-TREMISTS: Jubilee...yellowface Psylocke abd a white.. looking character called Moneta(?) Sooooo much Ugggh
    Nightcrawler:Kurt(of course) Meggan, Magma, and Kylun
    Xtracts: *Freaky looking* Mutants with White Kid Apocalypse, Dazzler, Kitty, Blonde for some reason Alive)EyeBoy, with new character (Who looks a LOOOT like idie but whose powers seemingly cause her to appear almost nude)
    Prisoner of X: only thought of it seems to have a lot of minority Mutants as main characters ...has a black dude in handcuffs on the cover of the first issue lol
    Psylocke isnt yellowface. She is caucasian in X-tremists