Page 60 of 77 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Soooo while posting in the Chamber thread i
    noticed how EVERY. GODJAM. Gen Xer has been resurrected at some point EXCEPTSkin and Synch
    Mondo.... Killed in GenX 25 "came back" GenX 60
    Blink.... Killed in UXM 314 came back last Zeb Wells NM
    Banshee... see current UXM series
    Emma... Got shattered in NXM ... eFFin Beast put her back together
    Husk...Killed Austens UXM mutant werewolves..."luckily"cured by Angels blood
    M... Killed in XFactor... Booty call Guido became hell Lord to get her back
    Jubilee... Was vampire now... Totally alive
    That is a devastating truth bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Exactly! I have done the same, and think it's important, as a writerly discipline, to write characters you *don't* love to little bits, and go outside of your comfort zone and stretch a little.

And for the pros, working for hire for Marvel, they kind of *have* to be able to use characters they might not care for. If editorial tells them that Wolverine is going to be in this book, then it doesn't matter if you *hate* Wolverine, you have to use him, and have to make him palatable to his fans (and not passive-aggressively write him crappily). If the next big event is Avengers vs. Guardians or whatever, then you are going to have to write some Rocket Raccoon, even if you can't stand silly talking animals in your big-concept social commentary metaphor-thingie.

I'd be all for X-teams with lots of similar minorities, because they are not monolithic. Forge and Moonstar and Warpath, AFAIK, come from completely different tribal affiliations and have about as much culturally in common as three white people, one from Texas, one from South Africa, and the third from Wales. Similarly, a team including Indra and Trinary and Omega Sentinel wouldn't necessarily be *at all* 'redundant,' since the three of them could have radically different values and experiences growing up. (Heck, they might have to talk in English, since, IIRC, India has *over twenty* official languages!)

I would prefer that the gathering feel organic, though, and not be made a big deal. It's not a big deal or worthy of note when an X-team has five *white* people on it, so it shouldn't be any more comment-worthy that five black or Asian X-peeps happened to get together.
    I entirely think "this character isn't written because a writer doesn't want to write them" is something they say cause they want other people to believe it, not because there's any truth to it. Same basic situation as how people at Marvel used to regularly say they don't listen to or care about anything anyone says online. Getting people to believe that was an effort to minimize fans pushing Marvel and its employees to do various things. It clearly doesn't work anymore, so they've stopped saying it and sometimes even try to get convos going on personal social media accounts.

Or at the very least, bare minimum, devil's advocate kind of benefit of doubt here, editors are oblivious to just how often a writer will write/pitch a character they like not out of any actual interest in the character, but because they know it's an easy way to secure future gigs through that editor. An editor is naturally going to be biased in favor of a character they love, and more likely to greenlight something that fits their personal interests over things that they hate or don't feel much for.

I'm also thinking of X-Men Green a little here. Disclaimer: on a personal level, last year I wanted such a title to involve Polaris as either the main or a main character, so I didn't really mind finding out it didn't get greenlit. But using the pitch as a case study? That right there was a writer pitching something focused on Banshee, the writer getting shot down, and Banshee still not getting used elsewhere (that I'm aware of). This gives us at least one example of a character where "characters aren't written unless a writer wants to write them" isn't true. Having an eager writer wasn't enough for him to get a book, or even to be included on any books. And while it's understandable that Marvel can't do everything with every character and they can't please all people all the time, a case like that lays bare how "they'll get written if someone wants to write 'em" is moreso an excuse than a reality.

If they were being honest, they'd just admit they're going by a mix of what gets pitched to them and what they believe through their biases is or isn't worth being made. But that goes back to having to admit that they could have problematic biases built up over decades of fandom, and a tendency to shy away from having to face those hard truths.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Weirdly writers never accidently have "too much" minorities on the team. Here is the challenge when have you ever seen four characters from the same minority on a team think about when have we ever seen Forge, Moonstar, Warpath or Surge, Jubilee, Karma and Armor or Sunspot, Celia Reyes, Wind Dancer and Darwin or Storm, Frenzy, Bishop, Triage or Trinary, Thunderbird II, Indra and Omega Sentinel on teams to together. We can easily get a team of Cyclops,Wolverine, Havok, Wolfsbane, Magik, Madrox and nobody bats an eye they can even add Chamber,Banshee,Dark Beast and Hope into the mix as well. It is funny how that works you can get a team that is 80 or 90 % white easily but getting two of same minority is hard, 3 is near impossible.
    So much truth my bruh! It just points to the fact that lots of the writers circulating seem to lack the spirit and boldness of a true writer. They are more about pats on the back and fanboy service. Hell what writer worth their weight in gold looks at a completely fictional character and says "I can't, or don't know how to write this character " get references and do your research...????!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    So much truth my bruh! It just points to the fact that lots of the writers circulating seem to lack the spirit and boldness of a true writer. They are more about pats on the back and fanboy service. Hell what writer worth their weight in gold looks at a completely fictional character and says "I can't, or don't know how to write this character " get references and do your research...????!!!!
    The only time I could buy that reason is if the writer is afraid they don't have enough understanding yet to do the characters justice, but even then, there's a fine line between "I want to do the right thing and not misrepresent this group" and "I'm trying to avoid having to put any thought and care into my work in this capacity." They can at least make an effort first.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Something about the title of this thread... "displacement thread"

Is this the string we sew the seam with? Or is this all for logo patches and badges?
    What if we pull it off the bolt?

Like on a screw?
    Last edited by sungila; 04-16-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    I think it was revealed in her 2000 miniseries
    Thanks. I'll have to check that out sometime.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

This just in with JDW hating on Bishop via twitter.
    https://twitter.com/cracksh0t/status...61035375783937

This coming from a former editor & possible fan of Deadpool, who's always fucking shit up. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    This just in with JDW hating on Bishop via twitter.
    https://twitter.com/cracksh0t/status...61035375783937

This coming from a former editor & possible fan of Deadpool, who's always fucking shit up. lol
    The final issue of Multiple Man did about 12K. I think its more of a case of most people didnt bother to read or finish the series. I know I didnt so whatever Bishop did never crossed my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The final issue of Multiple Man did about 12K. I think its more of a case of most people didnt bother to read or finish the series. I know I didnt so whatever Bishop did never crossed my eyes
    I haven't read either. Out of all the characters to give a mini to, Madrox makes no sense to me. Maybe he's a huge character, but Hell, I don't get the fuss with him with all the push he gets from Rosenberg & PAD.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 04-30-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I haven't read either. Out of all the characters to give a mini to, Madrox makes no sense to me. Maybe he's a huge character, but Hell, I don't get the fuss with him with all the push he gets from Rosenberg & PAD.
    Taken entirely by himself, I understand why Multiple Man would get a mini. He was out of the comics for several years, he was the leader for a long iteration of X-Factor (raising his profile), kinda fair for him to get something.

Taken in context of all available characters? There are plenty who need and deserve a solo, mini or oneshot way more than him. Other characters are in serious need of Marvel taking a good hard look at what they have to offer, fixing past poor treatment, acknowledging things about their history that Marvel seems to routinely "forget." It's not really fair to give a mini to a character that got to lead a book for several years while other characters have decades of ignored storylines that need resolving and misrepresentation to clean up. Especially when it's a straight white male character getting it over more diverse characters.

I read the miniseries I can't remember Bishop doing something messed up. Wait I guess he means this

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

I am not reading it over to get full context. Bishop blows something ,what new.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-30-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Taken entirely by himself, I understand why Multiple Man would get a mini. He was out of the comics for several years, he was the leader for a long iteration of X-Factor (raising his profile), kinda fair for him to get something.
    He's one of my favorite Marvel mutants, but that last mini-series sucked and I lost interest so hard that I'd forgotten it even happened. I think Peter David has spoiled me for Madrox, because I don't like anyone else writing him now...

And yeah, a Bishop or Northstar or Moonstar mini-series could have perhaps covered some more diverse ground.

Hell, blow my mind, give me an Omega Sentinel or Sabra mini! Or the borderline illegal hijinks of angry chicks Frenzy and Unuscione mini-series! Or the misadventures of rainbow bois Anole and Indra!

We got some question on the fate of another POC.

spoilers:
    Uncanny X-Men 17 apparently raises a question of whether or not Sunspot got killed during WoR.

I can't imagine them doing that after just bringing him back to the X-books not long ago, plus gaining a lot of notoriety & development with the Avengers. But this is floating around in spoilers given some dialogue on the issue. If he is dead, he'll probably get revived. Not like that doesn't happen. If he's dead for real...then Rosenberg just signed his own death warrant. He said he'd kill 3 men & 3 women. We got the 3 women, so his last kill is gonna be a man.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-01-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Hickman won't stand for that.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I read the miniseries I can't remember Bishop doing something messed up. Wait I guess he means this

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

I am not reading it over to get full context. Bishop blows something ,what new.
    Seems like Bishop blew up a bunch of dupes. If only he had a plot armor