Page 63 of 77 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I wonder if ediotrs and writers see this obvious pattern
    most of the readers don't....

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I wonder if ediotrs and writers see this obvious pattern
    The X-office is truly the Alt-right wing of Marvel. Hickman is now writing, through all the teasers don't you think it odd that there seems to be no focusing on Active black mutants like Storm and Bishop. It's not like he doesn't know that they are still on the team. I'm waiting to see if he's going to tow the line of white male mutants first then maybe others.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    One of the realest posts on here lol

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    The X-office is truly the Alt-right wing of Marvel. Hickman is now writing, through all the teasers don't you think it odd that there seems to be no focusing on Active black mutants like Storm and Bishop. It's not like he doesn't know that they are still on the team. I'm waiting to see if he's going to tow the line of white male mutants first then maybe others.
    To be fair though, Bishop is confirmed to be in the Phase 1 books. So there's a good chance he ends up on the premier team or in an important satellite book. As to whether he'll be wallpaper like many characters were in Hickman's Avenger run, time will tell. And Sunspot is for sure gonna get a starring role since he's one of his favorite mutants. M as well so I have high hopes for her too.

Everyone else is less certain though, so the best many characters (regardless of their race tbh) can hope for is some shine in a satellite book. But like I've heard people say in the past, if the X-Men continue to fail at diversity it'll just be one of the many things the Avengers do better than them so I won't lose too much sleep over it.
    Last edited by chief12d; 07-07-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Or they see it, but feel it's minorities faults for reading white comics.

A poster here has said exactly that, with a dew others agreeing.

Uh. I mean I trust Hickman way more than Rosenberg or Zac/Lonnie when it comes to delivering on inclusion. The marketing is super white (what we’ve only gotten...Monet? on like two covers?) but how much of that is on what Hickman is dictating be on the covers. We saw Storm and Armor in preview art and a lot of variants for Storm. I doubt she is gonna get sidelined in this story.

Even thinking about what Hickman did for Manifold, Captain Universe, Sunspot, Black Panther as the King of the Dead, Nightmask, and Shuri. Hopefully he can do the same for Oya, Gentle, Bishop, Cipher, Monet, Prodigy, and Cece Reyes.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post

To be fair though, Bishop is confirmed to be in the Phase 1 books. So there's a good chance he ends up on the premier team or in an important satellite book. As to whether he'll be wallpaper like many characters were in Hickman's Avenger run, time will tell. And Sunspot is for sure gonna get a starring role since he's one of his favorite mutants. M as well so I have high hopes for her too.

Everyone else is less certain though, so the best many characters (regardless of their race tbh) can hope for is some shine in a satellite book. But like I've heard people say in the past, if the X-Men continue to fail at diversity it'll just be one of the many things the Avengers do better than them so I won't lose too much sleep over it.
    Hell night & day.

Sunspot in the Avengers
    Superstar, reached great potential, got tons of recognition as a character, and got his Melanin back.

Sunspot in X-Men
    Gets brought back & killed off in a tie-in event. Not even on the main book, and was white when he died.

I think he'll be back. But to come off of being A+ in Avengers and go straight to Rosenberg, who wasted 99% of the characters in his run says it all. And of course his mistreatment of the other minority and female characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Uh. I mean I trust Hickman way more than Rosenberg or Zac/Lonnie when it comes to delivering on inclusion. The marketing is super white (what we’ve only gotten...Monet? on like two covers?) but how much of that is on what Hickman is dictating be on the covers. We saw Storm and Armor in preview art and a lot of variants for Storm. I doubt she is gonna get sidelined in this story.

Even thinking about what Hickman did for Manifold, Captain Universe, Sunspot, Black Panther as the King of the Dead, Nightmask, and Shuri. Hopefully he can do the same for Oya, Gentle, Bishop, Cipher, Monet, Prodigy, and Cece Reyes.
    A good bit of those characters were flashes in the pan or straight up plot devices to tell his story. I'd hardly say that Hickman did anything meaningful with Nightmask, Captain Universe, or Manifold other than moving the story along with their vaguely defined powers and giving some sci-fi babble to the actual lead characters.

But he did do great work with Sunspot and even though his work with T'Challa was from a deconstructionist perspective (which was the entire point of the New Avengers book) there's no denying he got a good deal of focus. So across two runs I'd argue Hickman only really elevated two black characters which is more than what we've gotten as of late from the X-Men so I guess I'm optimistic.

I really wouldn't give Hickman credit for Shuri, she didn't really do anything in his run except die

Wait didn’t she become the Aja-Adanna in Hickman’s run or was that Coates?

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Wait didn’t she become the Aja-Adanna in Hickman’s run or was that Coates?
    Coates. He was the one who revealed that she was still alive and just in a coma, and then had her go on a spirit quest through the Djalia before she returned.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post

praises from Caesar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Or they see it, but feel it's minorities faults for reading white comics.

A poster here has said exactly that, with a dew others agreeing.
    no lie it kinda is a lil my fault

Well at least two of his favorite are POCs.

the problem is that the x-office has been screwing their POCs for a decade

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Coates. He was the one who revealed that she was still alive and just in a coma, and then had her go on a spirit quest through the Djalia before she returned.
    oh......well nvm

It takes some consideration, but I have serious doubt that our version of racism could survive the Marvel universe. Everything we know about human psychology, historical interactions during times of intense turmoil, and certainly what the greatest authors who have lived perceive a world under the bootheel of a superior being/race, it's likely that our version of racism (and therefore race) could not survive the Marvel universe.

To that end, observing Black Panther or Storm or Skin or anyone else as a racial minority is...odd. It's always seemed odd to me. Storm isn't a black woman, she's a mutant. I think (personally), the only time these characters are written as defined by their (by our world's standards) racial identity, is when a writer is writing these characters and not understanding the universe they're writing for. Stan Lee always said, "It's the world outside our window." Stan Lee is objectively, demonstrably, incorrect. The visual makeup of the Marvel universe might resemble ours, its construction and buildings and roads might mirror our own, but culturally, we retain little to no similarities.

Certainly a reader can identify with anyone they want, and certainly the concept of race still exists in our reality, but when considering what is or is not occurring with a person of this pigmentation or that, consider that the writers of these works should be making an effort to completely ignore what makes our reality tick, and should focus exclusively on what makes the Marvel universe tick -- and tell whatever stories are most compelling as it pertains to those characters and that universe.

Again, this is a premise and thesis that I don't expect other people to adopt or adhere to, just expressing that I always think it's odd when people apply our reality to the reality of one that doesn't resemble ours in any meaningful way. Hobbits are hobbits, dragons are dragons, etc. What moves us as a species does not necessarily influence the characters and cultures of a reality that is not ours.

Intersectionality.

Storm can be a black African woman, and a mutant, at the same time.

Furthermore, mutants are not a separate species, they are at best a sub-species. Homo sapiens sapiens is normal humans. Homo sapiens superior are mutants.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!