Page 64 of 77 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Intersectionality.

Storm can be a black African woman, and a mutant, at the same time.

Furthermore, mutants are not a separate species, they are at best a sub-species. Homo sapiens sapiens is normal humans. Homo sapiens superior are mutants.
    Oh, it's certainly possible, I just personally don't think it's likely. I think Storm actually would not identify as black -- a lot of africans in general don't even define themselves as black in our own reality, so it seems even further unlikely that Storm would.

Funnily enough, there's an episode of the old X-Men 90s cartoon where they go back in time and a guy hassles Storm for the color of her skin. She laughs and says, "How quaint." It's only Wolverine who gets upset that the guy was being racist -- probably because Wolverine survived decades in a reality wherein our version of racial prejudice still existed.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Means View Post
    Oh, it's certainly possible, I just personally don't think it's likely. I think Storm actually would not identify as black -- a lot of africans in general don't even define themselves as black in our own reality, so it seems even further unlikely that Storm would.

Funnily enough, there's an episode of the old X-Men 90s cartoon where they go back in time and a guy hassles Storm for the color of her skin. She laughs and says, "How quaint." It's only Wolverine who gets upset that the guy was being racist -- probably because Wolverine survived decades in a reality wherein our version of racial prejudice still existed.
    I remember that one. They were trying to keep Xavier from being killed as a young man by another time traveler, which would prevent him from ever founding the X-Men and without the X-Men, the world went to utter apocalyptic dogs***. The Storm and Wolverine that went back in time came from the present that had been altered by Xavier's premature death and were even a married couple, which I kind of liked back then. Maybe still do on some level, despite how things worked out since then.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Oh, it's certainly possible, I just personally don't think it's likely. I think Storm actually would not identify as black -- a lot of africans in general don't even define themselves as black in our own reality
    Weeeeeell Storm's African-American that "stat" doesn't apply
    so it seems even further unlikely that Storm would.
    based on what? a 'fact' shared by People from dozens of different countries that have little if any bearing on her own personal life experience? mutancy usually manifests during puberty soooo at the beginning of her life as an African American Storm was black...evem after her powers developed looking... interacting with Storm you wouldn't know she was a Mutant Taken at a glance one of the first thing a person can say about her(if they can admit it) is that shes black

Storm wasn't just laughing it off she calked it sad or something like that....pluuuuuuus She was from a Sentinel controlled future there was no familial comfort in knowing you and uiur family were genetically clear from being the "minority/other" in her world Your own son/daughter could prove to be the "minority monster" its a whole wide world of people open to being hated and feared...its like a hatemongers wet dream. Bishop and Shard were from a timeline so much more different socially than ours... it was littered with blue green pink etc coloured people they had no context to react. what's reeeeally suspect was hiw young Xavier seemed completely shocked and surprised by the mans objection.... didn't say sh!t despite him being from the era... which actually is pretty spot on...in 2019

It takes some consideration, but I have serious doubt that our version of racism could survive the Marvel universe. Everything we know about human psychology, historical interactions during times of intense turmoil, and certainly what the greatest authors who have lived perceive a world under the bootheel of a superior being/race, it's likely that our version of racism (and therefore race) could not survive the Marvel universe.
    uh buuut Why?? is there a singular event or a string of them throughout 616 mutant emergence!
    To that end, observing Black Panther or Storm or Skin or anyone else as a racial minority is...odd. It's always seemed odd to me. Storm isn't a black woman, she's a mutant.
    well Black Panther is a human Skin had a physical mutation...none of those people's experience is applicable.Finding it odd observing someone's physical presence transfers the "oddness/otherness/not the standard" on the very thing a person is "not seeing" instead having accepted that humanity isn't a cookie cutter assembly line of samness and the human form comes in various colors, limbs, etc

There wouldn't be a singular event that would have humanity disregard the concept of race and thus our version of racism. Living in a world under constant assault by gods, mutants, killer robots, violent aliens and world eating monsters would most likely eradicate the concept of "race" in humans as people would be besieged by a plethora of "others" genuinely and actively trying to end humanity's existence.

When you take some time to ruminate on it (at least to me), the idea that our petty nonsense could survive the Marvel universe is almost hilariously ridiculous. It literally flies in the face of everything we know about how human psychology works. No one in the Marvel universe would care...at all...about how much melanin another human has. It would be about as relevant as our perceiving two different grains of sand. Racism and the concept of race is a pretty young human invention. It wouldn't take much for it to vanish in a collective instant.

There wouldn't be a singular event that would have humanity disregard the concept of race and thus our version of racism. Living in a world under constant assault by gods, mutants, killer robots, violent aliens and world eating monsters would most likely eradicate the concept of "race" in humans as people would be besieged by a plethora of "others" genuinely and actively trying to end humanity's existence.
    Humanity's too big of concept for people to unite behind and forget about race in the 616 mutants, gods, aliens, robots are almost human looking and can be identified along general racial lines and for many people that that qualifier(s) that makes them...them carries an unfair sometimes unwelcome bias in favor of the traits they themselves have. Humans create Their world's on mych smalker scales.... their nationality, home state, city their from, street they lived on, school mascot....a family moving into a neighborhood who happen to be different in every possible way than the other neighbors can be seen a threat to the existence of the individual people's lil world they have created

When you take some time to ruminate on it (at least to me), the idea that our petty nonsense could survive the Marvel universe is almost hilariously ridiculous. It literally flies in the face of everything we know about how human psychology works. No one in the Marvel universe would care...at all...about how much melanin another human has. It would be about as relevant as our perceiving two different grains of sand. Racism and the concept of race is a pretty young human invention. It wouldn't take much for it to vanish in a collective instant.
    maybe the social concept on how we view certain races has changed, but noticing someone's skin color and using that to form a physical description or identity of that person is pretty much with humanity from the start(im assuming have no idea)Buuuut why specifically race being the one Social construct wiped out? Why not sexes? or countries? sexuality? or religions? monetary system?

Yeah, it’s not like other forms of oppression have ended in Marvel. Evil corporations like Roxxon and Alchemax didn’t go anywhere, in fact they just got co-opted by evil gods and supervillains. The same can be said for race where there are still Nazis that are fighting superheroes or Americops that still enact police brutality. The advancement of knowledge of the universe and technology will never solve anything unless implicit bias in race, sexual orientation, gender, class, and disability can be fundamentally wiped from society and its laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Yeah, it’s not like other forms of oppression have ended in Marvel. Evil corporations like Roxxon and Alchemax didn’t go anywhere, in fact they just got co-opted by evil gods and supervillains. The same can be said for race where there are still Nazis that are fighting superheroes or Americops that still enact police brutality. The advancement of knowledge of the universe and technology will never solve anything unless implicit bias in race, sexual orientation, gender, class, and disability can be fundamentally wiped from society and its laws.
    True enough. 2099, where Alchemax originally hailed from, shows your point about evil corporations very well, and if you think police brutality is bad now, imagine how much worse it can get in a future where megacorporations (near-)literally own and control every facet and institution of society, including the police.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Well We have Green-washing taking place in HOX.

However, least Deadpool comics maintain respect. Ellie, formerly ping-pining to Monet's extent has been consistently depicted as black since 2016.

Loving her big hair in the recent DP issues.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 07-24-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post

However, least Deadpool comics maintain respect. Ellie, formerly ping-pining to Monet's extent has been consistently depicted as black since 2016.

Ellie....Deadpool's daughter right?

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Yeah. She was introduced as black, then started going back & forth between that, white, and tan European. lol Same as Monet. But she's stabilized it seems. We'll have to see if Monet & sunspot ever will again.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Uh-huh. And she's wearing the costume from her future self/incarnation in the Deadpool 2099 mini-arc by Gerry Duggan. I probably ought to check this comic out, if Ellie from Deadpool 2099 is back.

Also, just what was the point behind making that mutant girl next to Jean green?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Uh-huh. And she's wearing the costume from her future self/incarnation in the Deadpool 2099 mini-arc by Gerry Duggan. I probably ought to check this comic out, if Ellie from Deadpool 2099 is back.
    That particular panel of her is from an alternate future. Mephisto shows DP what's gonna happen to Ellie if DP doesn't work for him. She'll become his personal soul collector, mentored by one of his villains. And that's what we're see a bit of in that panel.

But heroic 2099 Ellie does have a cameo when Wade is shown her good future where she becomes a hero in 2099 and destoys numerous Sentinals with Warda.

Also, just what was the point behind making that mutant girl next to Jean green?
    It's supposed to be a boy. lol The reasons for the change are unknown. Omega Alpha thinks he was made green so people would stop thinking it was Jean x Bishop's kid.

I figure he's green for the same reasons they made Monet & Sunspot white. They don't care for too many black characters, and prefer leaving it to Storm & Bishop to be the tokens. Meanwhile any others need to be whitened, or colored some weird color to avoid looking too black.

Pour one out for Broccoli-chan in HOX.

Omega Level Member WhitePhoenix's Avatar

The reasons for the change are unknown. Omega Alpha thinks he was made green so people would stop thinking it was Jean x Bishop's kid.
    Yeah, I think his name is Desmond Ochoa-Diaz, and I originally thought it was supposed to be Bishop’s son with Jean.
    Last edited by WhitePhoenix; 07-18-2019 at 04:20 PM.

That particular panel of her is from an alternate future. Mephisto shows DP what's gonna happen to Ellie if DP doesn't work for him. She'll become his personal soul collector, mentored by one of his villains. And that's what we're see a bit of in that panel.

But heroic 2099 Ellie does have a cameo when Wade is shown her good future where she becomes a hero in 2099 and destoys numerous Sentinals with Warda.

It's supposed to be a boy. lol The reasons for the change are unknown. Omega Alpha thinks he was made green so people would stop thinking it was Jean x Bishop's kid.

I figure he's green for the same reasons they made Monet & Sunspot white. They don't care for too many black characters, and prefer leaving it to Storm & Bishop to be the tokens. Meanwhile any others need to be whitened, or colored some weird color to avoid looking too black.
    Now I'm really interested, and I like that Ellie and Warda seem to be getting along better in the good future. Also, thanks for correcting me about the mutant child with Jean in that page. That'll teach me to make assumptions. (I mean that with all sincerity.)