Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default Its time to get Xtreme , its time for the XFL (again) !

Back in far away time called 2000 , Vince McMahon & Dick Ebersol decided to launch a football league. The NBC Sports President (Ebersol) and the WWF/E owner were wanting to do something big together. Both men had a history tied to each other for years. Ebersol helped the WWF in the 1980's with Saturday Night's Main Event and later moved onto NBC Sports. Where he'd put together a great package of sports programming for years.

But in 1999 Ebersol decided the price for NFL football was too much and NBC would lose the rights for NFL in 2000. This was considered a huge blow to NBC but the 2 men came together to solve it. Both decided to put $50 million apiece up together to do the X-F-L. In fact ...I'll let Vince in 2000 tell you what the XFL is all about folks.

Vince has never been good at anything outside his WWE zone. As Jim Cornette would joke whenever Vince got grand plans he'd go about it all wrong. Like when he opened a New York restaurant in Times Square and that lost its ass. Or the World Body Building Federation which ...lost its ass. The XFL seemed to be the same way folks.

There was problems from the start with XFL. Too short a window to do really in a year , no stadiums or teams even announced as the guy brings up. Vince was used to doing things on short notice because that is how he is. But planning an entire sports league ? Really ? Also the players that was available was not so good. In fact it made the games that was played look like complete shit.

To add to the debacle of things McMahon signed Jim Ross and Jesse Venture to do the announcing of games that no one really cared for. Jim Ross and Jesse Ventura are great wrestling announcers. But no one is demanding to see them call a 3+ hour football game.

Within months NBC saw the ratings nose dive. With terrible games and ratings low enough that repeats of My Mother the Car would beat. NBC finally threw the towel in that summer of 2001 and said that XFL was done. Several folks inside the company wanted to keep the XFL around and brought up that attendance to live games was actually....pretty damn good. The live games had attendance in most cities at 20,000+ . Which brought up that more people were going to see the XFL live than watch on TV at home. But the WWE decided it was best to fold it.

Fast forward nearly 20 years later and rumors began that McMahon was gonna bring back the XFL. A fact that he sold over $100 million dollars worth of stock to fund Alpha Entertainment. Which would be the name that XFL would fall under.

The XFL will return in 2 years this time as Vince will have more time for the launch. It also will consist of 8 teams all owned by McMahon and he plans that no player will be able to protest any social issue. A fact he said this is the rules and its my league etc.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...fl-return-2020

In the end this will likely be yet another disaster as Vince looks to cater to the Trump supporting football fan. Not the overall market and with no help from NFL , it will likely die like the previous XFL.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Anything worth doing wrong is worth doing repeatedly.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Must be nice to have so much damn money that Vince can afford to flush millions down the drain repeating the disaster that was the XFL. Still, what I want to know is, will there be a new HE HATE ME?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Must be nice to have so much damn money that Vince can afford to flush millions down the drain repeating the disaster that was the XFL. Still, what I want to know is, will there be a new HE HATE ME?
    According to Vince ...no. There won't be any player who will be allowed to express himself or even discuss social issues. Its why some players won't do it. Kaepernick won't take some edict from Vince McMahon on how he needs to shut up and play football.

Vince's league sounds like something a Donald Trump supporter threw together and decided ...ya know what the country needs ....it needs football where I make the players bow to me.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I actually think this has a chance to succeed. At least more than it did the first time around. Drop the "extreme" schtick that was in play the first time around. Treat it like a football league, not like a wrestling show in pads (frankly I think he should have renamed it this go 'round to really hammer that home), and instead play up basically on not having the major problems the NFL is having with their product. Rules that make sense and are consistent, and a faster pace. Unlike when he first tried this, the NFL has major chinks in its armor. Its quality has declined, I would argue drastically. And no, that's not saying the league isn't still a major juggernaut. Of course it is. Knowing that but also knowing the quality of the product put on the field has declined is not mutually exclusive. Thus, play your cards right and this at least has a shot of lasting a little while. Still probably not that long, but it could be an interesting alternative for a while, and even better, if it has any success whatsoever could goad the NFL into fixing its own glaring problems. Although the latter is probably too idealistic a take. In any case, I'm at least willing to give it a shot. I'm a fan of the game of football and if this can focus on that this time around instead of trying to be "kewl and hardcore", then I'll try it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-25-2018 at 08:02 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Hrrrrm. So, Donald Trump, who hates the NFL because they refused to let him buy his way into the league and crushed him like a bug when he tried to compete against them with the USFL, then humiliated him in court when he tried to sue them, is now very publicly using his pedestal as POTUS to attack the league whenever he can. And now the husband of his secretary of small business is scrambling to cash in on the anti-NFL sentiments being stirred up by slobberin' Donny, in order to resurrect his own failed league .

LOL, all of these frickin' carnies and grifters scrambling for their pennies on the sidewalk. It's not even a clown show at this point. More like a Hutt Cartel.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Vince's bullshit is getting old.

Ugh ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

He's like Trump only his many and humiliating business failures aren't deliberate.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Hrrrrm. So, Donald Trump, who hates the NFL because they refused to let him buy his way into the league and crushed him like a bug when he tried to compete against them with the USFL, then humiliated him in court when he tried to sue them, is now very publicly using his pedestal as POTUS to attack the league whenever he can. And now the husband of his secretary of small business is scrambling to cash in on the anti-NFL sentiments being stirred up by slobberin' Donny, in order to resurrect his own failed league .

LOL, all of these frickin' carnies and grifters scrambling for their pennies on the sidewalk. It's not even a clown show at this point. More like a Hutt Cartel.
    Bravo! Well said!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

You'd think after all these years Vince would learn his lesson and just stick to Wrestling, hell at this point most Wrestling fans hope he'd give that up too and leave it to his successors.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

BANNED

I think it can work for a couple different reasons

- the Arena league is done after this year
    - while NFL ratings are down, college football ratings are up, people love football...hell the Legends (formerly Lingerie) Football League is expanding
    - he is running this as an entirely separate entity from the WWE, unlike last time
    - he will not be the public face of the league

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Still, what I want to know is, will there be a new HE HATE ME?
    I know right. I assumed Rod Smart would be the new commissioner above anything else.

F this noise. There's a little matter of CTE that the NFL is still having a hard time acknowledging at it's base and this is well before the legal fight of your life to attempt to have some of your medical issued covered after many former players leave the NFL. Does the general public have any idea how many former wrestlers have died since McMahon has ran this circus going on 40 years now? I'm not talking about Owen Heart deaths either and Vince could give a fuck less. More hard hits as a draw isn't going to bring players to this 'league' so I'm not sure what's the what here.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Empty is thy hand!

Vincent McMahon is a massive piece of shit and I'm certain he's being encouraged by his friend Donnie to carry out his revenge on the NFL.

Fuck them both. I hope the endeavor fails quicker than it did the last time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I know right. I assumed Rod Smart would be the new commissioner above anything else.

F this noise. There's a little matter of CTE that the NFL is still having a hard time acknowledging at it's base and this is well before the legal fight of your life to attempt to have some of your medical issued covered after many former players leave the NFL. Does the general public have any idea how many former wrestlers have died since McMahon has ran this circus going on 40 years now? I'm not talking about Owen Heart deaths either and Vince could give a fuck less. More hard hits as a draw isn't going to bring players to this 'league' so I'm not sure what's the what here.
    pretty sure they do, its all public knowledge

It will be a flaming turd that will crash spectacularly...again.

Mcmahon is a one trick pony that has always sought respectability & to be accepted by the legitimate entertainment elite. He is the face of "wrassalin" & that is as far as he goes.

As it is, I did not watch a complete Jets game all season. I doubt I can muster the strength to see a flawed & failed product with such a reprehensible reptile like Mcmahon at the head of it.
    Last edited by GOLGO 13; 01-26-2018 at 08:09 AM.