Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Free Comic Book Day 2018 gold title revealed... and you won't like it

...DC Superhero Girls. Originally solicited as...

TOP SECRET GOLD BOOK
    A special, top secret project too big to announce! Check back in with the February issue of PREVIEWS and at freecomicbookday.com for future updates!
    Rating: TEEN
    32pgs, FC FREE!
    So big they couldn't announce it? LIARS.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01...er-hero-girls/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Guess we shouldn't really be that surprised, the last few years have just been a reprint related to a recent/upcoming movie (New 52 Suicide Squad #1, Rebirth Wonder Woman #1) and an excerpt for these Superhero Girls books.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    ...DC Superhero Girls. Originally solicited as...
    TOP SECRET GOLD BOOK
    A special, top secret project too big to announce! Check back in with the February issue of PREVIEWS and at freecomicbookday.com for future updates!
    Rating: TEEN
    32pgs, FC FREE!
    So big they couldn't announce it? LIARS.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01...er-hero-girls/
    There seems to be a mistake somewhere since what was supposedly suppose to be the "TOP SECRET GOLD BOOK" is listed there as "Rating: TEEN", but aren't those DC Super Hero Girls books normally rated "E = Everyone"?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    There seems to be a mistake somewhere since what was supposedly suppose to be the "TOP SECRET GOLD BOOK" is listed there as "Rating: TEEN", but aren't those DC Super Hero Girls books normally rated "E = Everyone"?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Hahahaha.

I'm assuming this is just a mistake but if not, it's some pretty funny trolling.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

DC has given up on Free Comic Book Day. Which is really sad since it used to be a fun event.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    DC has given up on Free Comic Book Day. Which is really sad since it used to be a fun event.
    Or maybe delays with Dumbsday Cluck (now published bi-monthly, as in "once every two months") has caused them to delay what they had planned to offer?

Meh. I don't want every FCBD offering to be something I'm interested in. It should offer something for all.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Meh. I don't want every FCBD offering to be something I'm interested in. It should offer something for all.
    But some years, it feels like the offerings are really nothing I care about.

Extraordinary Member

A sneak peak at some event every DC reader is going to buy or not already is pointless other than giving a freebie to people already buying.

A free preview of a GN that shops will have on the shelves is a 100 times better. While this will vary by location, FCBD attracts a lot of kids and families who do not show up weekly. It is about getting new people into the hobby, and this book is probably doing more to bring DC and it's characters to the attention of potential new readers than whatever SECRET GOLD project they had lined up.

I'm not saying this does not seem like a screw-up or let down, just that in the bigger picture it is what DC probably should have done in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Part of the criticism is that the last few offerings haven't been new material but reprints of previously offered issues. While other companies still offer only previously released material, some companies create new stories for FCBD.

Including Marvel, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Or maybe delays with Dumbsday Cluck (now published bi-monthly, as in "once every two months") has caused them to delay what they had planned to offer?
    That's what I think happened, yeah. Though they did make the same Top Secret claim last year for the gold book and it turned out to be a Wonder Woman reprint. Also, DCSHG may have been originally nominated as the silver book - but DC, unsurprisingly after two double reprint years, only got the gold slot.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

I think it's to promote for the TV show for DC Super Hero Girls so I'm not disappointed.

Extraordinary Member

I hate superhero girls, its not like they use thease women in important stories

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I hate superhero girls, its not like they use thease women in important stories
    But superhero girls aren’t exactly for the comics demographic on this forum.