Default Washington Post writer discovers that Star Wars fans weren't in on her joke...

They really think he isn't a villain. You have to read the entire thing, folks.

https://www.avclub.com/the-reveal-of...tte-1822454330

I hang around on a Star Wars forum and there are users who actually do think it's going to go down like that for reasons XYZ. I personally don't, however, until we get further evidence (e.g. the TLJ novelization, Episode 9, etc.), it's pretty hard to make a case one way or the other; we're looking at the same movie but getting totally different stories out of it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I hang around on a Star Wars forum and there are users who actually do think it's going to go down like that for reasons XYZ. I personally don't, however, until we get further evidence (e.g. the TLJ novelization, Episode 9, etc.), it's pretty hard to make a case one way or the other; we're looking at the same movie but getting totally different stories out of it.
    Well...you saw Star Wars and they saw Twilight. Y'see the audience is basic. Ren was pitched as The New villain. And not only did he fail at that he was celebrated for failing. And now it's come back to bite the trilogy. People want Reylo to happen, but he killed Solo. And I doubt they are going to be happy with Ren redeeming himself right before he dies. They want a happily ever after. If Ren dies those fans will be pissed. If he lives Solo died for nothing and those fans will be pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Well...you saw Star Wars and they saw Twilight. Y'see the audience is basic. Ren was pitched as The New villain. And not only did he fail at that he was celebrated for failing. And now it's come back to bite the trilogy. People want Reylo to happen, but he killed Solo. And I doubt they are going to be happy with Ren redeeming himself right before he dies. They want a happily ever after. If Ren dies those fans will be pissed. If he lives Solo died for nothing and those fans will be pissed.
    Well, what you carry with you does affect stuff. I didn't even realize Reylo was a thing (as a fan theory) until after seeing the movie and poking around online and my reaction was pretty much instant revulsion. So, I was going into TLJ not wanting to happen, which is not the lens that the believers were seeing the movie through. (I have gathered that it was directorial intent that Kylo at least had some kind of emotional attachment to Rey, but in any event the final word of how their dealings with each other is up to Abrams, who may or may not create whatever endgame that Johnson had in mind.)

Personally, I think that Ren is actually a decent villain, at least an interesting one. However, I don't see him as a redeemable one, based on everything he's done in the two movies so far. Abrams could go that route, but I have a hard time believing that it would make sense as an endgame.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Well, what you carry with you does affect stuff.
    "Your focus determines your reality..." - Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, THE PHANTOM MENACE

"Only what you take with you..." - Jedi Master Yoda, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

"...from a certain point of view..." - Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, RETURN OF THE JEDI

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Personally, I think that Ren is actually a decent villain, at least an interesting one. However, I don't see him as a redeemable one, based on everything he's done in the two movies so far.
    Thanks to Rian Johnson's...sigh..."iinteresting characterization of Luke, Kylo is being absolved of all his sins. Now Kylo is the victim who was tortured by Snoke and then only joined the Dark side because of his master trying to kill him. Sure we all know Luke changed his mind an didn't go through with it, but standing over someone with a lightsaber is not a good look.