Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Here's two new promo images of the Black Order from Avengers: Infinity War.

Check it out!

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/anoth...ar-black-order

BANNED

THANOS' BLACK ORDER Returns in Their Own Series - But They Have a New Boss

https://www.newsarama.com/41395-than...wn-series.html

We felt their wrath in Marvel Studios’ blockbuster Avengers: Infinity War, and we recoiled as they laid a path of destruction right to Earth…now, this November, five of Thanos’ most feared warriors take the stage! Award winning fantasy novelist Derek Landy, author of the critically acclaimed Skulduggery Pleasant series, joins acclaimed artist Philip Tan (Uncanny X-Men, Iron Man) for the limited series BLACK ORDER, an unhinged super-villain adventure!

Dispatched by the Grandmaster to work their ruthless tactics, the Cull Obisidian have set their sights on destruction – but they may discover that there’s someone even bigger and badder standing in their way…

“Springboarding from their last appearance in AVENGERS: NO SURRENDER, BLACK ORDER sets the flagitious five on a bloody, brutal, head-rolling take-no-prisoners tear that will pit them against the forces of an entire Galactic Empire--and where they’ll encounter some familiar Marvel faces as well as some bonkers new faces along the way!” teases SVP and Executive Editor Tom Brevoort.

Don’t miss BLACK ORDER #1, on sale November 7th at your local comic shop!

BLACK ORDER #1 (of 5)
    Written by DEREK LANDY
    Art and Cover by PHILIP TAN
    On Sale 11/7/18

They're working for Grandmaster now? They fought AGAINST him in No Surrender!

I wonder if Voyager will show up? She is Grandmaster's daughter after all.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Interesting that Marvel are pulling in another YA writer. This one with screenwriting experience too. Has anyone read any of his books?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They're working for Grandmaster now? They fought AGAINST him in No Surrender!
    See #690 where he makes them an offer.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-17-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScar1990 View Post
    THANOS' BLACK ORDER Returns in Their Own Series - But They Have a New Boss

https://www.newsarama.com/41395-than...wn-series.html

We felt their wrath in Marvel Studios’ blockbuster Avengers: Infinity War, and we recoiled as they laid a path of destruction right to Earth…now, this November, five of Thanos’ most feared warriors take the stage! Award winning fantasy novelist Derek Landy, author of the critically acclaimed Skulduggery Pleasant series, joins acclaimed artist Philip Tan (Uncanny X-Men, Iron Man) for the limited series BLACK ORDER, an unhinged super-villain adventure!

Dispatched by the Grandmaster to work their ruthless tactics, the Cull Obisidian have set their sights on destruction – but they may discover that there’s someone even bigger and badder standing in their way…

“Springboarding from their last appearance in AVENGERS: NO SURRENDER, BLACK ORDER sets the flagitious five on a bloody, brutal, head-rolling take-no-prisoners tear that will pit them against the forces of an entire Galactic Empire--and where they’ll encounter some familiar Marvel faces as well as some bonkers new faces along the way!” teases SVP and Executive Editor Tom Brevoort.

Don’t miss BLACK ORDER #1, on sale November 7th at your local comic shop!

BLACK ORDER #1 (of 5)
    Written by DEREK LANDY
    Art and Cover by PHILIP TAN
    On Sale 11/7/18

Gotta love that movie promotion magic .

(I kinda miss Supergiant).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Gotta love that movie promotion magic .

(I kinda miss Supergiant).
    The movies only really locked into how cool the characters look, which is testament to the original design work. I have never been 100% sure who actually designed them. Deodato drew them first but they don’t necessarily feel like his design. Can anyone confirm he did that initial work?

Hang on, looks like variant covers are our friends here:

Infinity-Covers.jpg

Which credit:
    Jerome Opena - Supergiant, Ebony Maw & Black Dwarf (and incidentally Thane)
    Jim Cheung -Corvus Glaive
    Jonathan Hickman - Proxima Midnight

Someone might want to correct wikipedia!

PS My hunch is that Hickman also designed Black Swan, she has a certain simplicity that puts me in mind of his work. Personally I still don’t see her as part of the team.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-18-2018 at 04:05 AM.

Wikipedia has always listed Jim and Hickman as the creators. I remember seeing Cheung write on his Tumblr about how excited he was that Corvus was going to be in the MCU, but I guess not many saw that.

And someone on Twitter asked Landy the only question I cared about. He confirms Corvus and Proxima are still in love, and not mysteriously having amnesia like they did just post-Secret Wars.

I've never read any of Landy's work but it seems he's highly acclaimed for his Skullduggery Pleasant series. Which I definitely never read but from reviews, sounds almost Terry Pratchett-like? And now with a series to actually breathe in, I'm really intrigued if they actually get some kind of sympathetic character development.

Or any character development really. Heck I think if he's actually more a humorous writer, even some self-awareness of how they're basically Team Rocket with edgier names at this point.

I am encouraged that reviews suggest the Skullduggery Pleasant stories have been praised for the way he handles a large cast of characters. The jump into comics from novels can sometimes result in a narrower perspective which wouldn’t suit a team book like this. Landy could be an interesting choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    Wikipedia has always listed Jim and Hickman as the creators. I remember seeing Cheung write on his Tumblr about how excited he was that Corvus was going to be in the MCU, but I guess not many saw that.
    I imagine it was him that got paid. The Corvus design is by far my favourite and that original sketch is very cinematic. It would make a great poster.

It would be nice if these characters had a part to play in future movies with a bit more personality.

I remember hearing Hickman in an interview how he does his own design work, but that he was encouraged to let go of the added work. I think he was mostly talking about the graphic design of the books, but seeing his design for Proxima Midnight made me realise he would probably do everything if he could.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-19-2018 at 04:50 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScar1990 View Post
    Indeed, they all have a lot of immense potential. I just hope they're given more depth and utilized more. I feel this way especially about Black Dwarf and Supergiant, whom I honestly believe were mistreated by Hickman and did not live up to their fullest potential. I'd also like to see more of Corvus, Maw, Midnight and Swan. All of them are such cool looking and interestingly unique antagonists.

She's back in the current Avengers: No Surrender story. She doesn't have a corporeal form, existing as a psychic ghost due to her immense mental powers/abilities associated with her being an omnipathic being prior to her supposed death at the end of Infinity.

I'd say he's well above them. I'd place him among the likes of Hulk, Hercules, and other physical heavy-hitters. In Avengers #676, in the spotlight section of the issue, it states that Black Dwarf has immense physical strength, density and unbreakable skin. And in the issue he is able to hold on to his massive ax when the Metal Master tries to take it from him, while it the following issue Metal Master is able to take Jane-Thor's hammer Mjolnir from her and launch it at her & Hercules. That could be a testament to Black Dwarf's strength.

He held his own against Gladiator, Ronan, Annihilus and Super Skrull simultaneously in Infinity before he was killed way too easily in my honest opinion, but I blame that on Hickman's poor writing (IMHO Hickman never used Dwarf or Supergiant to their full potential). Personally, if it was up to me, I'd place Black Dwarf as one of those villains who could take on the likes of Hulk, Thor, Sentry and other powerhouses easily.
    And yet, for all his vaunted, strength and unbreakable skin, T'challa beat him and made him bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    And yet, for all his vaunted, strength and unbreakable skin, T'challa beat him and made him bleed.
    Black Dwarf and Supergiant tie for being the 'Meg' of the group. But at least he wasn't completely replaced by someone else who happens to have a name that fits their team theme-naming.

they remind me a lot of Apocalypse's Dark Riders; visually and thematically. Corvus, especially, is a Gauntlet-analogue. Tusk would have been the proto-Black Dwarf. the Riders didn't really have an Ebony Maw, though. Psynapse kind of filled that role.

BANNED

The Black Order #1

BANNED