Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Heh, reminds me of a discussion I had here a few months ago about "fake Superman fans." And yes, oddly enough, they exist.

No, nothing really disqualifies you other than not being a Superman fan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    Marry me.

10char

Astonishing Member

What exactly is the benefit of calling yourself a Superman fan? (Or a Batman fan or a Titans fan)?

I mean I call myself a Superman fan and largely it serves a positive role only in that people give me gifts with a Supeman theme or point out Superman related things that might interest me.

So if I only was really interested in the Reeve films, for example, what benefit is there in claiming to be a fan of Superman as a whole? I wouldn't have any particular interest in getting a collection of John Byrne stories for my birthday or hearing about a marathon of the 1950's TV episodes this weekend. Neither of those things would necessarily be a bad thing (except for the time and money with a gift) but I also don't think it's a bad thing not to be a fan of those things either.

I'm not a sports guy. Can't tell you the last time I sat down to watch a game on TV. But as someone who lives in Philadelphia I have a preference about who wins next Sunday. I don't, however, feel the need to define myself as an Eagles fan or to take it as some offense if guys who live and die by team rankings don't consider me a "true" fan. So I am just totally confused by the way so many people on this thread seem to think it is a slight to tell someone they are or aren't a fan of Superman.

Over the years, I’ve read and enjoyed a couple of thousand Superman comics, indeed I’ve read and enjoyed probaby a couple of hundred in last couple of years (catching up with old issues, not current stuff).

And yet...unlike when I was a kid..I actually don’t consider myself as a “Superman fan” to any great extent anymore. Yes..I’m happy to read a Superman story that’s well reviewed by a writer I like...but that’s about it, and if I’m honest I prefer to read stuff by a favourite writer, where writer has more control.

And all the non comics merchandise...it’s not for me.

I don’t think you have to dislike idea of Superman to be a non fan...I think once character itself doesn’t play any great part in purchasing decision you are not really a fan anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Over the years, I’ve read and enjoyed a couple of thousand Superman comics, indeed I’ve read and enjoyed probaby a couple of hundred in last couple of years (catching up with old issues, not current stuff).

And yet...unlike when I was a kid..I actually don’t consider myself as a “Superman fan” to any great extent anymore. Yes..I’m happy to read a Superman story that’s well reviewed by a writer I like...but that’s about it, and if I’m honest I prefer to read stuff by a favourite writer, where writer has more control.

And all the non comics merchandise...it’s not for me.

I don’t think you have to dislike idea of Superman to be a non fan...I think once character itself doesn’t play any great part in purchasing decision you are not really a fan anymore.
    Along those lines, if I like reading about the character and enjoy movies and cartoons with Superman in them, but aren't overly protective and fanatical about Superman, don't care that Superman got beat up
    by Supergirl on a TV show, am I still a Superman fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    So is there any view regarding the character that a Superman fan can hold that in your mind would mean they wouldn't count as an actual fan of the character?

For example, what if they are only a fan of the Injustice version of Superman, or they don't like Superman having the Clark Kent secret identity. Thing like that.
    Kind of what ppl already said. Someone plain stating hes not a fan is a good indicator (look out for subtle hints; if he recites a complete history of everything Superman did in detail to explain why hes not a fan and wears a Superman shirt while doing so he might be in denial :P ).

If someone only like Injustice Superman he probably will already say by himself that hes not a fan of the "normal" Superman and say right a away he a Injustice Superman fan only to clear misunderstandings right from start.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Along those lines, if I like reading about the character and enjoy movies and cartoons with Superman in them, but aren't overly protective and fanatical about Superman, don't care that Superman got beat up
    by Supergirl on a TV show, am I still a Superman fan?
    Perversely that sort of thing...Supergirl beating Superman..is the sort of thing that still rankles with me a bit.

Even more illogically it narks me that in current continuity Flash is a lot faster than Superman. (Memo to any DC exec that is reading this: If Flash can beat Superman in one on one fight, both characters are being written wrongly.)

Maybe...deep down...that Superman fan of long ago is still somewhere in my psyche....

Well, I have a hard time believing anyone who likes seeing Batman beat Superman is a fan of Superman.

I generally dislike the sort of gatekeeping that tries to measure someone's fandom and cast judgment on it.

Having said that, if you hate Lois Lane, the Clark Kent secret identity, the no killing rule, or saving cats from trees, it seems like you're more of a fan of a character you imagined and decided to call "Superman".

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Perversely that sort of thing...Supergirl beating Superman..is the sort of thing that still rankles with me a bit.

Even more illogically it narks me that in current continuity Flash is a lot faster than Superman. (Memo to any DC exec that is reading this: If Flash can beat Superman in one on one fight, both characters are being written wrongly.)

Maybe...deep down...that Superman fan of long ago is still somewhere in my psyche....
    I've come to accept that Superman in the Supergirl show is just a side character and will never be the Superman we want. They basically just put him in there to shut people up who wanted to see him. He's never getting his own spinoff series. He may show up once a season just to boost ratings or something but he's a third tier character at most. And it's clear that's all he's ever going to be. He's a nice guy and a decent stand alone Superman but it's not his universe. She gets all his villains and is the inspiration for the Legion. The sooner we make peace with that, the better.
    Assassinate Putin!

(Memo to any DC exec that is reading this: If Flash can beat Superman in one on one fight, both characters are being written wrongly.)
    Well, that's never happened as far as I know. Best Flash can do is manage to not get hit....until he does. And that's the end of the fight.

The most effective I've ever seen Barry be against Clark one-on-one....was when he pulled Clark's cape over his face in Johns' Justice League. And like, two panels later, Clark send Barry bouncing down the street unconscious.

Barry is a hell of a lot faster though. Just not fast enough to win a brawl.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I'm not a sports guy. Can't tell you the last time I sat down to watch a game on TV. But as someone who lives in Philadelphia I have a preference about who wins next Sunday. I don't, however, feel the need to define myself as an Eagles fan or to take it as some offense if guys who live and die by team rankings don't consider me a "true" fan. So I am just totally confused by the way so many people on this thread seem to think it is a slight to tell someone they are or aren't a fan of Superman.
    Im not much of a sports guy anymore either, but I still catch the big games and being in New England, I have my preferences too. Im no diehard at all, obviously, but I still consider myself a Pats fan. If someone wants to say they're "more" of a fan than me, they're right. But I'm still a fan. Just not a big one.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Believing that the character played by Henry Cavill is somehow Superman despite Kevin Costner's character being a fear-monger and coward and that Superman wasn't "cool" until Hobo of Steel are two very clear signs that you're not a Superman fan. Superman can not and does not exist without the iconic Jonathan Kent. You may be under the delusion that you are a Superman fan, but that's the result of either A) not really knowing or understanding the character B) not really liking the character as he is, only as he can be when remade in the image of Batman or other characters or C) all of the above.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That kinda reminds me of points brought up against fandom whether one claims to be a fan or not. Because at some point, a person who admits to being a fan is disqualified because they "don't like that version I like." The Superman of the current films is a lightning rod of that sort of thing.

The idea that in being a fan you're a member of some private club is lost on me. There should be less fans? There are people who can't be fans because of the products they like versus the products you like?

I thank Smallville for being something another person likes. Maybe that person will get around to other stuff, too. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Here's a delima: Are fans of Teen Titans Go! Really fans of Teen Titans? Or just fans of funny cartoons and this one happens to use super-heroes to do that? If they like Cyborg on the show is their fandom "less than" someone who grew up with the Wolfman/Perez version? Toxic fandom is scaring off normal people who just want to enjoy something. The moment we start having entrance exams to fandom is the moment fandom dies. No one benefits from that.
    And aside from thinking of disqualification from the point of, "well people who like that movie I don't have got to go," I'd say a lot of the worst of that turns onto contributors. That someone does a story you don't like, so they must not be a fan. Really, I'm thinking of how Liam Sharp backed off of social media recently after people started jumping down his throat about shipping this or that. Let the man pick up his pen and do his thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    What exactly is the benefit of calling yourself a Superman fan? (Or a Batman fan or a Titans fan)?
    Convenience. People won't approach a conversation on comics with you with a position that Superman is boring if they know you like Superman. Saying you're a broad Superman fan opens you up to things like broad Superman gifts. Which are nice gestures, to get you something related to what you like. Most people who aren't in the loop won't understand the nitty gritty details of say, liking Reeve as the best but only liking half of his movies. But you can paint a decent picture of what you like very quickly by saying you're a fan of a somewhat general thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    What about these two?
    I only like Celi Bee. Which I know, my deep passion for disco probably puts me at the back of the line as a comic book fan and in many other crowds, haha. I wish I didn't say "terrible," because I do respect and appreciate people creating works inspired by Superman no matter if I'd listen to it or not.

If you have zero interest in anything to do with Superman or you don't like/enjoy the character then you are not a fan.
    Liking only one version of a character does not disqualify a person from being a fan or "true fan" [whatever that means] of said character.

Those who like Injustice Superman are still fans.
    Last edited by dietrich; 01-30-2018 at 05:34 PM.