Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to start with Black Panther?

So with the movie coming out and the character getting a push from Marvel, where should I start if I want to try Black Panther's comics? The only things I have previously read with him in it are Mcduffies FF run and Hickman's avengers run. If I wanted to read Black Panther's solo stories what would be the best story to read?
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Start with Priest. It's THE definitive BP run and is also one of the greatest comic runs ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadey View Post
    Start with Priest. It's THE definitive BP run and is also one of the greatest comic runs ever.
    Priest is definitely my favorite run. If you can find old Don McGregor stuff from the seventies, those were stories ahead of their time. Panther's Rage has an Epic collection.

Start with Christopher Priest's run, then follow that up with Reggie Hudlin's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Start with Christopher Priest's run, then follow that up with Reggie Hudlin's run.
    This both are the required reading...

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

If you get a one month subscription to Marvel Unlimited I think you can get access to just about all of that for one month sub for $9.99 .
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-29-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions, certainly seems like Priest and Hudlin are the way to go. Probably will check out the 70's stuff too if I can find it. Happy to see that no one mentioned Coates run that is going right now, I know that it has gotten good critical review but I tried and issue or two and really disliked it so I am happy to hear that their are better runs out there (although in fairness me only giving a book an issue or two is probably not a fair way to judge a entire run)
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, certainly seems like Priest and Hudlin are the way to go. Probably will check out the 70's stuff too if I can find it. Happy to see that no one mentioned Coates run that is going right now, I know that it has gotten good critical review but I tried and issue or two and really disliked it so I am happy to hear that their are better runs out there (although in fairness me only giving a book an issue or two is probably not a fair way to judge a entire run)
    Admittedly Coates' run doesn't get the praise Priest's does, but it's not bad. Part of its problem is Priest's run exists to compare it to. Then again, if you dislike Coates' work (and an issue or two might be too small a tatse as it is slow), feel free to skip it. There's enough out there in quality BP work to keep you happy..

Incredible Member

I'd say Priest's run first, then I'd suggest picking up the recently released Black Panther Epic Collection. It's the Don McGregor "Jungle Action" run from the 70s that really established Black Panther as something different, and from which Priest drew on considerably in his depiction of Wakanda. Those two runs are pretty much what informed the movie, from what I can tell.

Both Priest's run and the McGregor collection are recent enough that you should probably be able to find hard copies in the stores (if that's your thing).

Hudlin and Priests run are the iconic runs. Those are the ones that have laid the foundation to for current/modern Black Panther. Priests run is the 1998 and Hudlin is the 2005.

Honorable mention to Don McGregor with Panthers rage.

You don’t really need Coates run to inform you about T’Challa as much as the other two I mentioned as he’s less the central focus. The central character of Coates run is really Wakanda and spotlighting the traditionally secondary characters. Plus his runs still ongoing so it’s hard to rank it in the moment.
    The J-man

Incredible Member

Guess I'm getting old lol! I started with "Panther's Rage" by Don McGregor. He was a great writer, and he was the one who created Eric Killmonger and a bunch of other classic Panther villains. Priest's run is the best ever though. Never liked Hudlin's take at all. He changed characters like Radioactive Man (said he was Russian rather than Chinese) and others for no apparent reason.

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    So with the movie coming out and the character getting a push from Marvel, where should I start if I want to try Black Panther's comics? The only things I have previously read with him in it are Mcduffies FF run and Hickman's avengers run. If I wanted to read Black Panther's solo stories what would be the best story to read?
    I. You can also try the Marvel Epic Collection, with the very first of Black Panther:

Black Panther Epic Collection vol.1: Panther's Rage - Fantastic Four #52-53; Jungle Action #6-24

II. Then you have the Black Panther by Jack Kirby - aka Black Panther vol.1:

vol.1 - Black Panther #1–7
    vol.2 - Black Panther #8–13
    issues #14-18 are by Ed Hannigan and Jerry Bingham
    issues 16-18 are published in Marvel Premiere #51–53

III. The Black Panther vol.2 is hard to find:

Black Panther by Peter B. Gillis - Black Panther vol.2 #1-4
    Panther's Quest - Marvel Comics Presents #13–37
    Black Panther: Panther's Prey - Black Panther: Panther's Prey #1-4

IV. Then go of course for the Black Panther by Christopher Priest Omnibuses - aka Black Panther vol.3:

vol.1 - Black Panther vol. 3 #1-17
    vol.2 - Black Panther vol. 3 #18-35, Deadpool #44
    vol.3 - Black Panther (1998) #36-49, 57-58; Incredible Hulk (2000) #33; Thor (1966) #370 and material From Marvel Double-Shot #2
    vol.4 - Black Panther (1998) #50-56, 59-62; The Crew #1-7

V. Then continue with the Black Panther by Reginald Hudlin Omnibuses - aka Black Panther vol.4:

vol.1 - Black Panther (2005) #1-18; X-Men (1991) #175-176
    vol.2 - Black Panther (2005) #19-34, Annual #1;
    vol.3 - Black Panther (2005) #35-41; Black Panther (2009) #1-6; Black Panther/Captain America: Flags of our fathers #1-4; Black Panther Saga

VI. Then you can go with Black Panther vol.5:

Black Panther: The Deadliest of the Species - Black Panther vol. 5, #1–6
    Black Panther: Doomwar - Black Panther vol. 5, #7–12, Doomwar #1–6, Klaws of the Panther #1–4, Material from Age of Heroes #4

VII. After that you have The Man Without Fear/The Most Dangerous Man Alive:

Black Panther: The Man Without Fear, The Complete Collection - Black Panther: The Man Without Fear #513–523, Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive #523.1, 524–529

VIII. And to finish Black Panther vol.6:

Black Panther Vol 1: A Nation Under Our Feet - Black Panther Vol. 6 #1–12
    Black Panther: World of Wakanda - Black Panther: World of Wakanda #1–6
    Black Panther & the Crew: We Are the Streets - Black Panther & the Crew #1–6
    Last edited by jb681131; 01-30-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Is David Lise Black Panther run worth picking up? It doesn't seams to get a lot of buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    I. You can also try the Marvel Epic Collection, with the very first of Black Panther:

Black Panther Epic Collection vol.1: Panther's Rage - Fantastic Four #52-53; Jungle Action #6-24

IV. Then go of course for the Black Panther by Christopher Priest Omnibuses - aka Black Panther vol.3:

vol.3 - Black Panther (1998) #36-49, 57-58; Incredible Hulk (2000) #33; Thor (1966) #370 and material From Marvel Double-Shot #2

V. Then continue with the Black Panther by Reginald Hudlin Omnibuses - aka Black Panther vol.4:

vol.3 - Black Panther (2005) #35-41; Black Panther (2009) #1-6; Black Panther/Captain America: Flags of our fathers #1-4; Black Panther Saga

Black Panther: Doomwar - Black Panther vol. 5, #7–12, Doomwar #1–6, Klaws of the Panther #1–4, Material from Age of Heroes #4

Black Panther: The Man Without Fear, The Complete Collection - Black Panther: The Man Without Fear #513–523, Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive #523.1, 524–529

Panthers Quest was released as a collection earlier this year so it is only Gilli's and Panther's prey which can be hard to find. Also Neither Priest nor Hudlin's runs are collected in omnibuses but in compelte collection. They are not hardcover nor oversized just regular sized released in big volumes of TPB. Just like Bendis's and Brubaker's Daredevil runs are.

Priest is the BEST place to start, as his is the definitive run for the character. Priest is to Black Panther as Frank Miller is to Daredevil.

However, the EASIEST starting point might be Hudlins run. THe first arc is a pretty good jumping in point for a new reader.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post

That is quite a list, thanks for such a complete breakdown. I will be certain to give some of those a look, certainly had no idea that Jack Kirby had done anything with Black Panther so that absolutely will be something that I pick up.