Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In Your Opionion, Whats The Top 3 Marvel Comics Out Now And Why?

Top 3 Marvel Comics Out Now And Your Reasons Why.

1. Thanos- because Thanos is awesome
    2. Mighty Thor- because Jason Aaron is awesome, and Russel Daughterman's art is great.
    3. Star Wars- because Star Wars is great.

Honorable mention: Avengers, because of No Surrender

I do have Thor on my pull list and it is my favourite out of Marvel atm. I have heard nothing but great things about Thanos.

1. Star Wars Doctor Aphra: Doctor Aphra has become one of my new favorite Star Wars characters and the her own series does a pretty good job of carrying her story forward. For a character that could be a one-note joke, she's afforded depth and has some pretty good costars. Also, being so disconnected from the movies gives it the freedom to do its own thing and have suspense as to the outcome. Out of all the Marvel Star Wars comics to date, this one does the best job of capturing the feel of the original movies and has character writing that feels real.

2. All-New Wolverine: After seeing Logan, I got into X-23 comics and the character has become my most favorite X-Man period. I think All-New Wolverine does a good job of building off of the previous X-23 comics and cashing in on the promise they had that Laura Kinney would overcome the damage her creators inflicted on her. Also giving her a little sister has proven to be a good addition, as they relationship between the two has not only acted as the emotional core of the series but also gives it an unique voice that sets it apart.

3. Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows: Spider-Man is my most favorite superhero of all and I was always a fan of him and Mary Jane being together and not at all of them being not. So, this series about them raising a family and being an Incredibles-like superhero team is right up my alley. While I don't think it's as strong as the previous two, it does capture what I like about the characters very well and puts them in a new situation that manages to both be novel and a logical outgrowth of the franchise. It's also had exceptionally good art and is the only new Spidey series I'm following or plan to follow anytime soon.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

1.) Daredevil: Highly underrated! Soule is doing amazing work that seems to be mostly unnoticed. Part of the appeal lies in the fact that it's so far removed from much of the awfulness that is modern Marvel.

2.) Doctor Strange: See above. Although Cates (or editorial) seem to be slowly re-integrating this book with the wider MU.

3.) Avengers: I love seeing so many classic characters back where they belong. Not crazy about the whole Voyager thing, but the book's been great otherwise since "No Surrender" started.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

1. Falcon - Takes all the great moments, skills, and growth Sam has had over the last few years and places them to the forefront in one title.

2. Iron Fist- The martial arts book we have been waiting years for while not deviating from what makes Danny Rand such a unique and fun character.

3 Defenders- GOoodness to much to say about it and not enough time. PICK IT UP WHILE YOU CAN!
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm only reading 3 Marvel titles monthly, soon to be 2....you'll see why.

1. Moon Knight - love the character despite not loving the retconned multiple personality disorder. That could go away one day though just as it showed up one day.
    2. Punisher - cause, Frank Castle is awesome
    3. Spirits of Vengeance - the dark corners of the Marvel Universe are too often over looked. Sorry this is only a mini ending next month.

I relegate other characters to trade.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

1. Marvel 2-in-One: Cheung's art is great as usual and the story of Marvel's first family is being handled well (plus Victor von Doof)
    2. Guardians of the Galaxy: Just ended but is launching into a new event, Infinity Countdown which, if it's anything like Guardians has been lately, especially with the return of Rich Rider, is gonna be a fun ride
    3. Doctor Strange: It's in an interesting place with Loki as the Sorcerer Supreme, and now that they've brought The Sentry back I'm really interested to see where this goes...
    Currently Reading:
    MARVEL - Fantastic Four, She-Hulk, Hulk vs Thor: Banner of War
    DC - Batman: Shadow War, Batman: Beyond the White Knight, World's Finest
    Dark Horse Koschei the Deathless in Hell
    Other

1. Unbelievable Gwenpool- This book is better than it should have been. I love stories about characters who know they are in a fictional universe and can break the fourth wall and this book does everything right with those concepts.

2. Darth Vader- This book has been consistently great.

3. Marvel-Two-In-One- This book feels like a love letter to the FF and the interactions between Ben, Johhny and Doom have been great so far.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

i'm only reading thor, daredevil, iron man, and captain america... who to leave out...

1. thor. i've never read the simonson stuff, so (having said that) aaron has officially surpassed jurgens as my favorite thor writer. excellent long-form storytelling.

2. daredevil. i feel no one really talks about this run, but i feel DD has had a 20 year run of excellence (starting w/ the '98 marvel knights relaunch) stretching from smith to mack to bendis to brubaker to waid and now to soule. yes, i left diggle off that list. a *near* uninterrupted 20-year run of excellence.

3. captain america. only three issues in, but i've dug the waid/garney team-up on cap since their original pre-heroes reborn run and this feels just like it EVEN THOUGH garney is nowhere to be found. samnee is more than a worthy addition to the team.
    Last edited by Adset; 01-29-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Defenders- Bendis is fantastic with street level characters and this whole story about who'll be the new Kingpin is super intriguing and exciting. Plus there are so many cool cameos of beloved characters. Not to mention the GORGEOUS art by Marquez and Ponsor. It's easily one of the best looking books being published. I'm going to be sad to see this go.

Captain America - Put Waid and Samnee on any book and I'll read it. Waid definitely knows how to write Cap since he's written him multiple times now and Samnee's style just fits perfectly. I love the one-shot style they're going for and it just feels like classic Captain America again. I'm loving it.

Mighty Thor- One of the most epic comics being published right now, Mighty Thor is such a thrilling and captivating story. This current arc is nothing short of epic tbh. Plus the art is phenomenal.

Honorable mentions: Thanos,Daredevil, Astonishing X-Men, GOTG

Im really tempted to buy the Waid And Samnee Captain America series

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Right now?

Amazing Spider-Man
    Spider-Man RYV
    Astonishing X-Men
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Black Bolt
    Runaways
    All-New Wolverine

Because i think they are good reads.

1) Old Man Logan- I really love everything about this version of Logan, feels like as a character he is being portrayed as he should be for the first time in a while. I was furious when they killed off Logan a few years ago but OML has been so good that I was sort of conflicted when Logan came back in Marvel Legacy because that means OML is probably going away. Hopefully Marvel will give us the best of both worlds and have OML go back to his home dimension and keeps his solo while 616 logan stays in the main universe with his own solo.

2) Amazing Spider-man- Mostly for the immomen art work. Sloot is pretty much always entertaining but man does immonen's art elevate the quality of this book.

3)Daredevil - I think it is a step down from the Waid/Samnee run but is highly underappreciated, Soule really shines with the legal aspects of the book.

- I won't put them up in the top three yet since they are only a few issues in but Marvel 2 in 1 and Captain America have been excellent so far.
    -In a perfect world my top three books would be the still ongoing Kingpin by rosenberg, Nova by loveness and Nighthawk by David F Walker but unfortunately sales dictated it not to be.
    Last edited by regg215; 01-29-2018 at 06:12 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard