Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I find both Spider-Men to be lackluster to be fair, though Spider-Men II is definitely the worst one.

Of a mini that is important, I already mentioned Hobgoblin Lives, there's also Family Business which introduces Teresa (Not exactly necessary to read since first issues of Zdarssky's Spectacular explains what happened in Family Business), don't remember anything else right now though...

If you're willing to put up with a slow ass paced story with a horrible ending, sure, otherwise just knowing it happened is enough.
    Hahaha,okay great. Good to know.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Despite how polarizing it seems to be, is One More Day worth the read? Or should I not?
    OMD, despite how atrocious it is, lays the ground work for the current era and explains why Peter isn't married anymore.

Astonishing Member

Despite how polarizing it seems to be, is One More Day worth the read? Or should I not?
    It has some pretty art.

But as far as a compelling narrative and solid story, you can give it a pass and just read a summary.

Same goes for One Moment in Time (OMIT).

BANNED

If you want something extra to read each day, you can also nip on over to Comic Kingdom and read installments of the self-contained Spider-Man Newspaper Strip.

http://comicskingdom.com/amazing-spider-man

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    OMD, despite how atrocious it is, lays the ground work for the current era and explains why Peter isn't married anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    It has some pretty art.

But as far as a compelling narrative and solid story, you can give it a pass and just read a summary.

Same goes for One Moment in Time (OMIT).
    If you want something extra to read each day, you can also nip on over to Comic Kingdom and read installments of the self-contained Spider-Man Newspaper Strip.

http://comicskingdom.com/amazing-spider-man
    Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, you guys. Much appreciated

I've also been catching way up on Spider-Man. All the way back to J. Micheal Strazynski's Run. Yeah I'm really far behind. From Coming Home all the way to Sins of Past. I think they have been excellent. Also just started the Brand New Day story line. Which I believe that's where Slott started. I still have some filling in the blanks though. A big glaring one, Without giving up any spoilers. So I may have to back track and go back to JMS and finish up his run.

So, to clarify, you enjoyed recent Spider-Man comics and you're looking for recommendations pre-ASM 700?

Amazing Spider-Man 546-647 is the Brand New Day era, where Dan Slott, Joe Kelly, and others were part of a team of rotating writers.
    Slott's solo run kicked off in Amazing Spider-Man 648, with Peter Parker becoming a successful scientist.

The key omnibuses would be...
    Amazing Spider-Man Volume 1 which covers the Lee/ Ditko run, with the major early appearances.
    Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2, which covers the Lee/ Romita run, essentially the template for what's followed.
    Roger Stern's Amazing Spider-Man, with the Hobgoblin saga, and some of the major Spider-Man stories.

How much you'll enjoy this is determined by your tolerance for older comic books.

Some excellent one-off volumes are...
    Spider-Man Blue: a reimagining of the Gwen/ Peter/ MJ love triangle by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale.
    Kraven's Last Hunt: in which Spider-Man is buried by Kraven- the most iconic TPB length story.
    The Death of Jean Dewolff: a murder mystery with an excellent encounter against Daredevil.
    Return of the Burglar: a string of key stories with the first appearance by the Black Cat, and an encounter against Uncle Ben's killer.
    Mark Millar's Spider-Man: 12 issue run with Terry Dodson that's kind of a best of Spider-Man remix.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    So, to clarify, you enjoyed recent Spider-Man comics and you're looking for recommendations pre-ASM 700?

The key omnibuses would be...
    Amazing Spider-Man Volume 1 which covers the Lee/ Ditko run, with the major early appearances.
    Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2, which covers the Lee/ Romita run, essentially the template for what's followed.
    Roger Stern's Amazing Spider-Man, with the Hobgoblin saga, and some of the major Spider-Man stories.
    Yes, correct. Basically backtracking from #700.

Thanks for these. On top of the JMS complete collections, I'll look for these to see if I can find them at decent prices anywhere.
    Last edited by cc008; 01-31-2018 at 04:26 PM.

BANNED

Very cool, I will!

How about any minis or anything that are important? I heard Spider-Men II was sort of lackluster, but what about the first issues?

The first one is good but does require a passing knowledge of the Ultimate universe and is one of the few times Mysterio isn’t played off like a joke

Ok, I just finally finished up the JMS run with One More Day. I thought it was fabulous. I had heard about it of course, but reading it was emotional actually. Connected the dots to Brand New Day. Now I'm on Kraven's First Hunt. All while reading current run, and onto the issue #800.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mikedesil View Post
    Ok, I just finally finished up the JMS run with One More Day. I thought it was fabulous. I had heard about it of course, but reading it was emotional actually
    There's something in today's ASM that actually connects back to One More Day too

I was lucky enough to get a new copy of Hickman's Fantastic Four volume two omnibus with Spider-Man replacing Torch on the team. Pretty excited to read that too.

There's something in today's ASM that actually connects back to One More Day too
    I read this the other day, and made sure I read it right away!

Very cool for me being I Just read about his reference a day or 2 before. And it was pretty huge.

Thanks!

Up too Death and Dating btw. I'm loving catching up with Spidey currently

All-New Member

I am going to hijack the thread. If I want to start reading Spiderman, should I wait till 797 comes out as it's the start of Slott's last arc? Should I wait till the new writer takes over? Is there a recent arc I should start from?

I don't have the coin to drop hundreds to backfill. Just looking to add an enjoyable ongoing to keep up with.....