Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Dark Nights Metal #5 Preview/Discussion (Return of a Big DC Hero)

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/01...tian-manhunter

Big reveal here, and it's only the start of the issue! Only the wild hunt one shot and the finale afterwards!
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 01-29-2018 at 04:06 PM.

It literally says who it is in the URL

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    It literally says who it is in the URL
    Welp, then I'll just remove the warning then.

Did he go somewhere?

With the heroes at their lowest and the forces of an inter-dimensional evil poised to succeed, who shows up to help save the day?

spoilers:
    Martian frikkin' Manhunter .
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Did he go somewhere?
    Outside a cameo in Priest's Justice League no one's seen him since his cameo in the Rebirth special.

Did he go somewhere?
    Like Shazam, it's not that he disappeared, DC just hasn't used him very frequently since Rebirth happened.

So, he's been on Thanagar trying to figure what's going on too? Well, great to see him back!

Didn’t he have a series.

Astonishing Member

Fantastic news

Love this character

Didn’t he have a series.
    That was during DCYou, as I recall.

This series has been...odd. I don’t know how I feel about it. It’s had some interesting concepts but overall I haven’t been blown away. It’s like Snyder is throwing a lot of ideas at us and I don’t think I care about most of them. Plus he’s kind of making up continuity as he goes. Plastic Man is a super conductor for cosmic energies?!? He was made by STAR Labs or the Court of Owls?!? I’m 5 issues in and I still don’t really know why they need the Nth metal. I guess it’s for the Forge thing. And they’re hoping the mace will do what again?

I love comics that have massive mind bending concepts. Morrison is my favorite comic book writer of all time. It seems like Syder is trying to be Morrison-esque. But this story just isn’t doing it for me so far. Hopefully there will be a big pay off.

Also, some of the characterization is off. Why is Deathstroke cracking jokes like he’s Deadpool?
    Last edited by Robotman; 02-01-2018 at 01:13 AM.

Spectacular Member

For me, the event momentum has been lost long ago after the one month hiatus and I'm not interested anymore.... I felt the same way with Forever Evil where I couldn't wait for the next issue to come out in the 1st-3rd or so issue but it just dragged and delayed and my interest got lost. Doomsday Clock is better in a sense since I lost interest since issue 1.

Maybe it's because a lot of these events are that the bad guys keeps winning and winning until the 5th or 6th issue where the hero deus ex machine their win. Whatever happened to events where things goes back and forth keeping the thrill of waiting for the next chapter alive.

I found this issue awesome, personally. I really liked Diana characterization, the Forge of World and Dragon Hall are awesome (perhaps a little too on the nose however) and Barbatos seems as powerful as ever. I really feel that Metal is what any big event should be : it expands the universe and its effect will be felt even after its end. I'm not just talking about some of the NAoDCH (New Age of DC Heroes) stuff, I mean that Justice League will pick on it, and probably other books too, in the near future. I like the bombastic approach and I'm super happy that #6 will be a sper-sized issue.

My only question, why the hell did BWL left Diana with Hawkman's Mace, when it can be used to push back Barbatos in ages past. I suspect that it will destroy quite a bit of his Dark Army with it.

BANNED

I think this will have a terrible conclusion. I really have no idea what piece is doing what even though its actually pretty clear but there is this I dunno just make up stuff writing that creates deliberate ambiguity. One that allows the writer to just make up things.
    Also neither Barbatos or the BWL are good villains. The former is generic while the latter is a cool concept for elseworlds. A Batjoker is completely unworthy as a cosmic villain and he's just not interesting anymore either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Plastic Man is a super conductor for cosmic energies?!? He was made by STAR Labs or the Court of Owls?!? I’m 5 issues in and I still don’t really know why they need the Nth metal. I guess it’s for the Forge thing. And they’re hoping the mace will do what again?
    The chemical Plastic Man was exposed to was possibly made by one of those groups, I don't think he was necessarily made by one of them directly.

The Nth Metal (and I admit my attention to detail is not quite as good as it once was) is the only thing that can hurt Barbatos or beings from the Dark Universe. The Mace is the last trace of Nth Metal they know of.

Quote Originally Posted by nitake92 View Post
    Maybe it's because a lot of these events are that the bad guys keeps winning and winning until the 5th or 6th issue where the hero deus ex machine their win. Whatever happened to events where things goes back and forth keeping the thrill of waiting for the next chapter alive.
    Yeah, I think that is a Snyder thing. The good guys just keep getting stomped til the end, where they still get stomped.