Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This series has been...odd. I don’t know how I feel about it. It’s had some interesting concepts but overall I haven’t been blown away. It’s like Snyder is throwing a lot of ideas at us and I don’t think I care about most of them. Plus he’s kind of making up continuity as he goes. Plastic Man is a super conductor for cosmic energies?!? He was made by STAR Labs or the Court of Owls?!? I’m 5 issues in and I still don’t really know why they need the Nth metal. I guess it’s for the Forge thing. And they’re hoping the mace will do what again?

I love comics that have massive mind bending concepts. Morrison is my favorite comic book writer of all time. It seems like Syder is trying to be Morrison-esque. But this story just isn’t doing it for me so far. Hopefully there will be a big pay off.
    This is basically how I feel. Things are happening, but they just aren't really interesting. It started strong, but lost me around issue 3, honestly.

The thing with Morrison is that, even with all the high concept stuff going on, he gives you and the characters time to breathe and reflect on the weird stuff. This is just a constant build with no rest, references on top of references, and zig-zagging directions. I don't even know where they are trying to end this.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I won't try changing anyone's opinions, but I really enjoyed this issue and am glad Snyder has so much pull with the DC universe.

While I definitely agree that the lapsed schedule negatively affected the momentum of the series, I'm really digging this still and loved the new issue.

I'm looking forward to having all the issues and then reading them in one sitting to hopefully regain that momentum and feel the pacing the way it was intended before the Dark Metal demons of failed logistics had their victory.

I have no idea what happened in MM's DCYou series - he was split up into different people or something? But in the Nu52 it indicated that MM's time with the JL didn't end well. Did we ever find out what happened there and why his reunion with Hal was so friendly? Or are we just assuming old continuity has reasserted itself somewhat and that J'onn is back to being a beloved longtime (if not founding) member?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-02-2018 at 04:37 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I how no idea what happened in MM's DCYou series - he was split up into different people or something? But in the Nu52 it indicated that MM's time with the JL didn't end well. Did we ever find out what happened there and why his reunion with Hal was so friendly? Or are we just assuming old continuity has reasserted itself somewhat and that J'onn is back to being a beloved longtime (if not founding) member?
    We never found out what happened, so we don't know that Hal and MM have any issues, or if anyone in the JL has an issue with MM for that matter. Other than it being likely that whatever happened caused the JL and MM to no longer work together, we can't figure out anything else from that scene.

I how no idea what happened in MM's DCYou series - he was split up into different people or something? But in the Nu52 it indicated that MM's time with the JL didn't end well. Did we ever find out what happened there and why his reunion with Hal was so friendly? Or are we just assuming old continuity has reasserted itself somewhat and that J'onn is back to being a beloved longtime (if not founding) member?
    My guess is the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Yeah, I think that is a Snyder thing. The good guys just keep getting stomped til the end, where they still get stomped.
    Yah, this issue was pretty stompy for the heroes. Nice to see Wonder Woman have a moment in the sun, though.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Thank God Martian Manhunter is back. It's been two whole weeks since he was in Justice League.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I thought the whole Onimar Synn Thanagar Phoenix Cannon plot was a ode to the Rann vs Thanagar War, but instead of Rann being transported to Earth it is used as a portal to another reality.Also i think it is a slight ode or dig at Avengers vs X-men using the plot of shooting a cannon from a planet to shoot down a potential threat. This is twisted in Metal with the Thanagarans=Shiar the bird tribe using a cannon to shoot at earth to help a cosmic being recreate reality.
    Last edited by Tazpocalapse; 02-01-2018 at 08:53 PM.

When you thought this was the end of this event ...but it's not *sigh*
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Incredible Member

I have no idea what happened in MM's DCYou series - he was split up into different people or something? But in the Nu52 it indicated that MM's time with the JL didn't end well. Did we ever find out what happened there and why his reunion with Hal was so friendly? Or are we just assuming old continuity has reasserted itself somewhat and that J'onn is back to being a beloved longtime (if not founding) member?
    I think the current, post-Superman Reborn, bet is that the Johns' JL #1 (with Cyborg) was the REfounding of the JL, rather than the initial formation. Remember the Trophy Room in "The Button", and the fact that Doomsday "dispatched the League with ease" before Superman was killed - and ten-year-old Jon was conceived AFTER Superman came back, married Lois, went through Electric Superman and switched to his N52 costume.

Spectacular Member

This series looks and reads too much like a 90's Image title. It doesn't feel at all like DC -- neither pre- nor post-Flashpoint. It is silly, to be honest (Plastic Man is a Conduit for cosmic energies and that allows him to change shape?). People used to make fun of all the different Kryptonites, but now we have all these metals that have absurd properties. And fans think that the Silver Age stories were ridiculous and contrived. Arnold Drake and Bob Haney had nothing on Snyder for nonsensical stories. And at least their stories were fun. This one has been miserable to plod through.

I'm just glad that this mess isn't spilling over into the titles I read. (At least so far...)

On a positive note, there has been a lot about Rebirth that I have liked and that has gotten me interested in DC Comics again.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WTNew View Post
    This series looks and reads too much like a 90's Image title. It doesn't feel at all like DC -- neither pre- nor post-Flashpoint. It is silly, to be honest (Plastic Man is a Conduit for cosmic energies and that allows him to change shape?). People used to make fun of all the different Kryptonites, but now we have all these metals that have absurd properties. And fans think that the Silver Age stories were ridiculous and contrived. Arnold Drake and Bob Haney had nothing on Snyder for nonsensical stories. And at least their stories were fun. This one has been miserable to plod through.

I'm just glad that this mess isn't spilling over into the titles I read. (At least so far...)

On a positive note, there has been a lot about Rebirth that I have liked and that has gotten me interested in DC Comics again.
    Metal does have a 90s vibe to it, but for me it's been in a good way. It feels like the younger, dumber brother of Grant Morrison's JLA run. Lots of stuff happening every issue, New ideas are being thrown into the mix, old ideas are being brought back and recontexualized, and Starro is a dude bro.

I can totally understand this not being everyone's cup of tea. It is an extremely silly, silly event that seems to know exactly how stupid it all is. However, it has been, above all, very fun. I honestly wish more comics events were like this, in the sense that Snyder & Capullo are not taking this too seriously, but are simply trying to tell the craziest, most fun story they can.

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    I think the current, post-Superman Reborn, bet is that the Johns' JL #1 (with Cyborg) was the REfounding of the JL, rather than the initial formation. Remember the Trophy Room in "The Button", and the fact that Doomsday "dispatched the League with ease" before Superman was killed - and ten-year-old Jon was conceived AFTER Superman came back, married Lois, went through Electric Superman and switched to his N52 costume.
    Yep. We may never find out the exact details, which is fine by me, but I'm quite sure that it will eventually be made explicit that J'onn was a founding JLA member and Cyborg joined much later after his Teen Titans days. (That big hug with Raven -- they sure seemed like old friends, didn't they?)

Some art for the upcoming Wild Hunt issue by Jimenez : https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/stat...28505445994496